Levi Jones to be released

The injuries are a concern, but I suspect his agent would point him at Buffalo as THE #1 spot to land a starting job. So he may come cheap if its an incentive-laden deal.

Worth a flyer, if his knee checks out and the signing bonus isn't anthing crazy...

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No team shoves a good LT down the walk and out the gate, if he can still get it done.

We are talking Cincinnati and Mike Brown, tho'....

Cincy, where his injuries chronic ones, or perhaps related to conditioning (or lack therof) due to the Bengels S&C program, which if I had to guess, may be a modest one based on the Brown family's thriftyness?

Why all this talk of an " incentive laden" contract? The smart thing to do is trade a conditional pick for him. You inherit his contract minus the bonus money and if he looks like a stiff in camp you cut him and it doesn't cost you anything but per diem money during camp. Even the smallest "incentive deal" is going to cost you some bonus money.

Why all this talk of an " incentive laden" contract? The smart thing to do is trade a conditional pick for him. You inherit his contract minus the bonus money and if he looks like a stiff in camp you cut him and it doesn't cost you anything but per diem money during camp. Even the smallest "incentive deal" is going to cost you some bonus money.

Because if he's busted, you don't want to pay that contract which is still $3 million in 2009. I'd be willing to roll the dice on picking him up off the waiver wire based on the fact that, who'd have a higher need for him than the Bills and where would he have a better chance to start if healthy? I doubt there'd be much of a bidding war on the guy...

Because if he's busted, you don't want to pay that contract which is still $3 million in 2009. I'd be willing to roll the dice on picking him up off the waiver wire based on the fact that, who'd have a higher need for him than the Bills and where would he have a better chance to start if healthy? I doubt there'd be much of a bidding war on the guy...

I don't think the Bills would have to pay him if they cut him before the season. Not sure about that, however. The big worry would be an injury in camp (cough cough - ahem - Mike Willams), which would necessitate paying him.

It would be a good move to pick him up on the cheap. It allows the bills to move Walker back to RT were he is a better fit. I also like the idea of moving Butler back to RG and having Levitre and Chambers as super Subs, which works out well because Butler and Jones have problems staying healthy. Picking up Jones also allows Bell to develop for a season or two.

I don't see how picking up Jones is a bad move having a combo of Jones and Walker at tackle is much better than converting Butler a guard to RT and Walker a guy who fits better at Right tackle and moving him to Left tackle a position we all know he might not be suited for.

It would be a good move to pick him up on the cheap. It allows the bills to move Walker back to RT were he is a better fit. I also like the idea of moving Butler back to RG and having Levitre and Chambers as super Subs, which works out well because Butler and Jones have problems staying healthy. Picking up Jones also allows Bell to develop for a season or two.

I don't see how picking up Jones is a bad move having a combo of Jones and Walker at tackle is much better than converting Butler a guard to RT and Walker a guy who fits better at Right tackle and moving him to Left tackle a position we all know he might not be suited for.

Generally I agree. The only thing I would point out is that Butler's natural position is actually RT where he played almost exclusively in college for UVa. I think ultimately it was Buffalo's thinking that he would eventually get moved ther after some time at RG learning the line schemes, so I don't necessarily think that this move was unplanned. Losing Peters hurt, and while I think that Walker could be an adequate LT, I think Levi Jones, if he is completely healthy is a much better option for this offense.

It would be a complete waste of time picking him up. He has chronic injuries and might not even make it through training camp.

If he does play it won't be anywhere near the level expected of a LT

Jones is in rough shape

Generally I agree. The only thing I would point out is that Butler's natural position is actually RT where he played almost exclusively in college for UVa. I think ultimately it was Buffalo's thinking that he would eventually get moved ther after some time at RG learning the line schemes, so I don't necessarily think that this move was unplanned. Losing Peters hurt, and while I think that Walker could be an adequate LT, I think Levi Jones, if he is completely healthy is a much better option for this offense.

Yeah it wouldn't be Butler I would be worried about, It would be Walker at left tackle. Also the depth of the line would be improved because if the line is with Butler and Walker at the tackles than the only good back up would be Chambers.

Look, if the Bills feel that he is fully healed and can play at his full potential... they will sign him. If not, they won't.

I think the Bills are just not going to look at OT.....I believe they are very comfortable with Butler and Walker at the Startng Tackle position and move the rookies to the two guard position. If Levi Jones, comes, who is the odd man out. considering that the two rookies are 1st round and 2nd round picks that you expect to start from day 1.

On the other hand, if they can pluck Henderson from the Jax, that will be huge....Maybin, Schoebel on the outside and Stroud and Henderson on the inside.....And the real subs, Johnson, and Williams on the inside and Kelsay and Denney on the outside will be an fantastic rotation that will cause a nightmare to opposing teams.

I believe Henderson is whom they should be chasing for another 3rd rounder from next year.

I think the Bills are just not going to look at OT.....I believe they are very comfortable with Butler and Walker at the Startng Tackle position and move the rookies to the two guard position. If Levi Jones, comes, who is the odd man out. considering that the two rookies are 1st round and 2nd round picks that you expect to start from day 1.

On the other hand, if they can pluck Henderson from the Jax, that will be huge....Maybin, Schoebel on the outside and Stroud and Henderson on the inside.....And the real subs, Johnson, and Williams on the inside and Kelsay and Denney on the outside will be an fantastic rotation that will cause a nightmare to opposing teams.

I believe Henderson is whom they should be chasing for another 3rd rounder from next year.

i am all over it to get DT Henderson here.. but i think JAX does not want to trade him anyre

we could send them players this year and a 3rd next..... our rushing defense would be TOP5

I saw this last night from bengals.com No update as of this morning:

"JONES NOT CUT: Kenny Zuckerman, the agent for left tackle Levi Jones, said Monday the club told him last month that they would trade him or cut him before the draft. But Zuckerman admitted Monday he's getting conflicitng reports from the team after head coach Marvin Lewis appeared on NFL Network during the draft and made it sound like Jones is sticking around. Given Jones' salary for '09 is in excess of $3 million and they drafted a guy with the sixth pick in Andre Smith that is going to start at left tackle or right tackle, the question could be if the Bengals want to see how Smith responds in workouts before they do anything. "

I do not know the Bengals Cap situation aka do they have the room to sign there rookes, and keep Levi PLUS do.did they have plans on signing any more free agents?

In any event, the situation is worth watching...

I saw this last night from bengals.com No update as of this morning:

"JONES NOT CUT: Kenny Zuckerman, the agent for left tackle Levi Jones, said Monday the club told him last month that they would trade him or cut him before the draft. But Zuckerman admitted Monday he's getting conflicitng reports from the team after head coach Marvin Lewis appeared on NFL Network during the draft and made it sound like Jones is sticking around. Given Jones' salary for '09 is in excess of $3 million and they drafted a guy with the sixth pick in Andre Smith that is going to start at left tackle or right tackle, the question could be if the Bengals want to see how Smith responds in workouts before they do anything. "

I do not know the Bengals Cap situation aka do they have the room to sign there rookes, and keep Levi PLUS do.did they have plans on signing any more free agents?

In any event, the situation is worth watching...

Smart of the Bengals to do this. They know there is interest out there and time is on their side. Yes, they are hurting Levi Jones by not letting him move on, but he still has value, and it's the Bengals right to see who will bite and offer them something in a trade. I'm not sure when there would be a cap hit but, until then the Bengals will probably sit tight. I doubt Jones will be on their opening day roster.

We are talking Cincinnati and Mike Brown, tho'....

Cincy, where his injuries chronic ones, or perhaps related to conditioning (or lack therof) due to the Bengels S&C program, which if I had to guess, may be a modest one based on the Brown family's thriftyness?

Don't know about the conditioning - but Jones has had chronic knee problems the last 3 years. He is a tough guy who does play through pain, however.

I've no idea what shape he's in, or will be in come training camp. He did miss the final six games last season.

Smart of the Bengals to do this. They know there is interest out there and time is on their side. Yes, they are hurting Levi Jones by not letting him move on, but he still has value, and it's the Bengals right to see who will bite and offer them something in a trade. I'm not sure when there would be a cap hit but, until then the Bengals will probably sit tight. I doubt Jones will be on their opening day roster.

CINCINNATI BENGALS-Signed Laveranues Coles, WR; J.T. O'Sullivan, QB; and Jeremi Johnson, FB. Re-signed Cedric Benson, RB; Darryl Blackstock, LB; Chris Crocker, S; DeDe Dorsey, WR; and Jamar Fletcher, CB. Agreed to terms with Tank Johnson, DT, and Brandon Johnson, LB.

They were at ~ $95 mil in mid january and the cap is ~127 mil. I seem to recall Coles was $7 mil per year or so?? My educated guess is that the bengals are around $10 mil under. Andre Smith will cost them some change. BUT, I think they can afford Levi.

Of course, they would not be able to sign any more FA's