Vincent Moving To Safety

Talonz

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish we would have signed Winfield seeing the kind of numbers he's putting up in Minnesota. But Winfield is the one exception to the fact that all of the high priced FAs that TD has let go have basically flopped when they left. So he gets pass from me on this one.

101868[/snapback]

Winfield's numbers might look nice but consider these Minnesota has the 25th worst defense in the NFL, 27th against the pass. In comparison the Bills defense is 2nd in the NFL, 5th against the pass. As mentioned adding Vincent should help.

Actually I think the exact opposite.  I think Vincent wanted to stay at CB for this year at least, and WOULD have if he didn't get hurt.  Kind of hard to move a starting CB to FS.  However after the injury, Vincent probably realized it would be best for him in the short and long term to move to FS, especially with TM doing a decent job.

Thomas and Greer are decent, but not as good as McGee at nickel and Thomas at dime.  Hopefully the continue to develop and step-up their game.

Reese is average at best.  Vincent at FS will basically give the Bills the best FS they've had in decades, and really upgrade the secondary overall, even with Thomas and Greer being the nickel and dime.  And again, I think that Vincent can slide over to nickel DB, or at least dime DB, in those packages.

I meant over the course of a game, and season.  Not a huge concern, just trying to be cautiously pessismistic  :unsure: .

101876[/snapback]

I agree with that, although I think perhaps Prioleau will be in dime situations as an extra safety or CB, which he can and has played, even earlier this year. This, to me, is the result of A) seeing that McGee is a real playmakerand can handle the starting corner job (when that wouldnt have been able to be seen if TV had been there all along, and B ) the experience that Greer has shown to be the #4 corner in that same period, be it in games or in practice. That kid is a player, too. TV may not have wanted to make this move so early but he is smart, and he wants to win, and he has been watching these guys, too. Reese hasn't been good and the corners have. I would bet Milloy has been egging on TV, too, saying we would make the best tandem in the league.

I think that the important thing is to have someone at FS who can catch. FS's normally lead the db's in int's. We haven't had a FS catch more than 1-2 a year. TV should be able to make a big improvement in this area. As far as cap money is concerned, he is already here and the money is spent. We are "saving" a ton in cap money with McGee playing CB. Put your best on the field!

A couple thoughts:

-I don't know what type of injury Vincent has/had, but it's a possibility that it may hamper his ability to play corner. If it's something that will give him trouble with a backpedal or with quick lateral movements, the staff may have decided to make the move now because he's not getting any younger and will heal slower, p'offs are probably out of the question so why not start the learning curve now and the fact that at the Free he'll be able to play with the ball in front him which may make it easier on him physically if he's not healthy.

-Another possibility is that the staff is trying to find a way to help a struggling offense by creating more turnovers on defense. Putting a vet like Vincent at the Free will likely create more turnovers without sacrificing the integrity of the rest of a very solid D.

-Another possibility is that with p'offs out, that they want to find out right now if McGee can be a permanent replacement at corner. Whether he is or not, the front office will have a much better idea of how they want to approach the offseason.

It looks like there are a lot of good reasons for the staff to go ahead with this move sooner rather than later, and I for one am thankful that they've shown the initiative and cojones to mix things up when the situation calls for it.

Implying Nate is actually interested in covering, unlike the 4th quarter of last week's game.

All right what did he do now?

I'm guesing he either 1) went sleepies when the Bills got up big, or knowing Nate the more likely possibility is that 2) when the Bills got up big he started jumping every single route the Cards showed him in an attempt to get his hands on the ball.

Also kind of wondering if LarryFitz looked as good as he has been the couple times I've seen him earlier and if the underrated BryantJohnson is progressing nicely.

Cya

All right what did he do now?

I'm guesing he either 1) went sleepies when the Bills got up big, or knowing Nate the more likely possibility is that 2) when the Bills got up big he started jumping every single route the Cards showed him in an attempt to get his hands on the ball.

Also kind of wondering if LarryFitz looked as good as he has been the couple times I've seen him earlier and if the underrated BryantJohnson is progressing nicely.

Cya

102322[/snapback]

I'm not sure if he thought he had Lawyer's help over the top but he basically let his man run past him and catch about a 40 yard TD late. He basically went into an "Oh stevestojan" sprint when he looked behind him.

It was IMPOSSIBLE to tell anything about the receivers in this game. The ball spent way too much time resembling a Wakefield 2 strike offering. Unreal.

Fitzgerald is FLUID.

Other than a 4-yard lateral, Fitzgerald got shut out, Simon. Think he may have dropped the only other one McCown got near him. (Welcome to Buffalo weather, Josh!) And he picked up a 15-yard penalty to boot.

In short, not one of his better days....

It's all good.

It was fantasy football related.

101996[/snapback]

I'd say after this year we should look to replace posey with something younger. We do have to make some changes or else the defense will just slowy dissapate. Pitt keeps a solid defense but they still make small changes each year.

I Guess I'm the only one who doesn't love this move. Vincent is an excellent CB...maybe he'll be an excellent S, I don't know. Even if he is I prefer to have my excellence at the CB position. McGee is an average CB right now. He gets beat more than anybody in the secondary. Is he better at CB than Reese is at S...perhaps, but again, if I have 3/4 of a strong secondary, I prefer my weakness at S, not at CB. This doesn't even take into consideration if Vincent will be able to pull this off midseason without some growing pains.

I hope I'm wrong and this works out, but I'm of the opinion that the D is fine and any tinkering with it will only cause problems.