So let me get this straight....

ICE

Unless Bush is going to lob gold bullion and bricks of bills on the terrorists, throwing money at the problem won't solve it any more than it's solved the drug problem, the crime problem, or the poverty level.  It DOES however play right into OBL's stated objective of driving the country toward bankruptcy.  So if Bush does not implement more conservative and responsible fiscal policies, OBL will win without lifting a finger.

The sad thing is that you actually believe that US can go bankrupt with the foreign policy. Care to explain how that will happen? I'll start - I'm not talking about increasing the deficit, dollar falling or interest rates rising. How is the Treasury of the United States of America going to go bankrupt?

What's really interesting is how the people who are purportedly in the MOST danger of terror attacks - on the coasts - voted overwhelmingly for Kerry.  So that either proves that terror wasn't their biggest concern OR that they didn't think Bush was capable of handling it.  Choose your poison and drink deep.

103339[/snapback]

Except that I don't remember a ballot initiative separating the candidates on different issues. Maybe the coasts voted against Bush because they felt, on average, he was the worse candidate?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

GG,

Never mind that we didn't elect Kemp or Keyes and go back on the gold standard.  Wow it's amazing how KzooMike and stupid so many people are.

103411[/snapback]

You forgot that Alexander Hamilton intentionally had the US enter into debt so the aristocracy of the day would invest in, and consequently ensure the success of, the new government.

Worked really well, unitll Jefferson came along and started screwing up - Going to war with England with a total of 7 Navy ships... Nice goin' TJ. :D

GG,

Never mind that we didn't elect Kemp or Keyes and go back on the gold standard.  Wow it's amazing how KzooMike and stupid so many people are.

103411[/snapback]

I think this board is slowly becoming elitist.

What is with all the handle names meaning something else.

What is KzooMike?

I wish the was a reverse type mode?... So I can type in the name and get the correct word.

You forgot that Alexander Hamilton intentionally had the US enter into debt so the aristocracy of the day would invest in, and consequently ensure the success of, the new government. 

Worked really well, unitll Jefferson came along and started screwing up - Going to war with England with a total of 7 Navy ships... Nice goin' TJ.  :D

103446[/snapback]

Maybe that's why TJ is on the nickel & the forgotten $2 bill and AH is on the $10.

What is KzooMike?

I wish the was a reverse type mode?... So I can type in the name and get the correct word.

103453[/snapback]

Like stevestojan and s h i t, KzooMike was complaining about the use of the word "i g n o r a n c e." He thought it was a snotty put down. He requested SDS to make a filter that said something along the lines of "this poster is a moron." SDS obliged him by adding a filter, but not exactly the one KzooMike was looking for...

Like stevestojan and s h i t, KzooMike was complaining about the use of the word "i g n  o r a n c e."  He thought it was a snotty put down.  He requested SDS to make a filter that said something along the lines of "this poster is a moron."  SDS obliged him by adding a filter, but not exactly the one KzooMike was looking for...

103462[/snapback]

Thanks!

They are gonna have to publish a TBD to English dictionary soon!

:D

The sad thing is that you actually believe that US can go bankrupt with the foreign policy.  Care to explain how that will happen?  I'll start - I'm not talking about increasing the deficit, dollar falling or interest rates rising.  How is the Treasury of the United States of America going to go bankrupt?

Except that I don't remember a ballot initiative separating the candidates on different issues.  Maybe the coasts voted against Bush because they felt, on average, he was the worse candidate?

103388[/snapback]

The government can go bankrupt. It doesn't simply print the money it needs whenever it feels like it. If it did we'd be burning dollars for warmth because deflation would wreck the value of our currency. There is a complex and rigid formula governing money supply that the treasury sticks to. When it's obligations exceed its assets, it borrows by selling off notes and bonds to investors, mostly foreign banks. As long as Japanese banks are willing to loan us the money by buying our T-bills, we are fine. If they don't, we literally run out of cash. There comes a point where the interest on the debt soaks up a huge share of tax revenues leaving less and less for everything else from National Parks to new tanks. Moreover, there also comes a point where the US soaks up so much of the available world wide capital that not enough is available for lending to businesses and consumers. Interests rates go up as the available capital to be used to finance industry begins to shrink too much. The next thing you know, a business that needs in infusion of cash to expand so it can produce more and hire more people is unable to get a loan at a rate that allows him to clear a profit.

At that point you have a downward spiral where businesses fail leading to lower tax revenues leading to more government borrowing leading to tighter capital markets leading to more businesses failing. And the beat goes on.

The red state addiction to both tax cutting and receiving federal largesse is a recipe for disaster.

Worked really well, unitll Jefferson came along and started screwing up - Going to war with England with a total of 7 Navy ships... Nice goin' TJ.  :D

103446[/snapback]

Went to war with France with even less...

Yes, we were at war with France for a brief time in the early 1800's, before the war of 1812...

The red state addiction to both tax cutting and receiving federal largesse is a recipe for disaster.

103480[/snapback]

That is what I don't understand... Why bite the hand that feeds you!

Ingrates!

:D

On another note... What kinda of pull will South Dakota have now that Daschle is out in regards to the Missouri river "Water Wars" that are going on in that state?

Went to war with France with even less...

Yes, we were at war with France for a brief time in the early 1800's, before the war of 1812...

103486[/snapback]

The French boarded some commercial vessels as part of Napoleon's Continental System, but the English actually began impressing our sailors for their Navy because we violated their Orders In Council.

There were some exchanges, but I don't think we ever actually declared war on France (as the United States - French and Indian War doesn't count).

The French boarded some commercial vessels as part of Napoleon's Continental System, but the English actually began impressing our sailors for their Navy because we violated their Orders In Council. 

There were some exchanges, but I don't think we ever actually declared war on France (as the United States - French and Indian War doesn't count).

103507[/snapback]

Sounds right. The incident with the Barbary pirates and Tripoli seemed to be more prevailing.

What is KzooMike?

103453[/snapback]

Somebodies changing my posts. As-s-holes. it said KzooMike.

The government can go bankrupt.  It doesn't simply print the money it needs whenever it feels like it.  If it did we'd be burning dollars for warmth because deflation would wreck the value of our currency.  There is a complex and rigid formula governing money supply that the treasury sticks to.  When it's obligations exceed its assets, it borrows by selling off notes and bonds to investors, mostly foreign banks.  As long as Japanese banks are willing to loan us the money by buying our T-bills, we are fine.  If they don't, we literally run out of cash.  There comes a point where the interest on the debt soaks up a huge share of tax revenues leaving less and less for everything else from National Parks to new tanks.  Moreover, there also comes a point where the US soaks up so much of the available world wide capital that not enough is available for lending to businesses and consumers.  Interests rates go up as the available capital to be used to finance industry begins to shrink too much.  The next thing you know, a business that needs in infusion of cash to expand so it can produce more and hire more people is unable to get a loan at a rate that allows him to clear a profit.

At that point you have a downward spiral where businesses fail leading to lower tax revenues leading to more government borrowing leading to tighter capital markets leading to more businesses failing.  And the beat goes on.

103480[/snapback]

What's with this board offering to do other people's homework?

Thanks for the Econ 101 primer (and I hope that NJSue read this). You explained how things work in a textbook. But for the last 10 years, econmic reality has not followed the written script.

That's why I would like an answer to how the US Treasury is going to go bankrupt based on the reality of the exchange rates, interest rates, and the USA's role as the dominant economic driver.

If Bin Laden wants to bankrupt the US, there must be a plan, other than saying, "I'm going to bankrupt the US."

(Maybe he and his family spent a lot of time in the US in the '50s, and are the real reasons behind the baby boomer population)

There's no truth to the rumor that OBL is using Mr. Kerry's speech writer.  Really.

103575[/snapback]

There is difference between having a speech writer and reading it verbatim or taking the speech and injecting your thoughts.

Kerry by no means is as much a "Talking Head" as others.

You can learn a lot from your enemies... It doesn't make you the enemy.

Try again.

There is difference between having a speech writer and reading it verbatim or taking the speech and injecting your thoughts.

Kerry by no means is as much a "Talking Head" as others.

You can learn a lot from your enemies... It doesn't make you the enemy.

Try again.

103591[/snapback]

How many times have I told you to stay away from drinking that water?

There's no truth to the rumor that OBL is using Mr. Kerry's speech writer.  Really.

103575[/snapback]

It was nice how OBL worked in the Haliburton reference in his video. Maybe he was using John Edwards' speech writer.