Not A Fan of the 4 PM Start Time

The reason I've heard is that the NFL wanted it to be more of a prime-time TV event and to cut down the length of day one. The stupid thing is, in practice, it accomplishes neither. The first two rounds will still last until around midnight, yet the top 10 picks will all be long since off the board well before the primetime TV hours tonight.

Myself, I love the fact that they cut down the pick times in round one and two, but otherwise, the new draft scheduling format instituted last year totally and completely sucks.

The reason I've heard is that the NFL wanted it to be more of a prime-time TV event and to cut down the length of day one. The stupid thing is, in practice, it accomplishes neither. The first two rounds will still last until around midnight, yet the top 10 picks will all be long since off the board well before the primetime TV hours tonight.

Myself, I love the fact that they cut down the pick times in round one and two, but otherwise, the new draft scheduling format instituted last year totally and completely sucks.

agreed

Saturday primetime isn't even valuable TV space - it seems like afternoon is really the idea time for it. Wasn't there a proposal to do the first five picks Friday night (8:00-9:30 or something) then pick up at noon for the balance of round 1 plus 2+3? That would make sense I think.

If you're going to shorten Day 1 to 2 rounds why not start at Noon and allow everyone to get done in time for dinner?

I liked the old format - was hoping to see it switched back this year.

St. Louis should be on the clock. ugh!

For real. I have a buzz already.

If you're going to shorten Day 1 to 2 rounds why not start at Noon and allow everyone to get done in time for dinner?

Well I for one love it! First time in 4 years I haven't had to wake up at 4am to watch the first round.

There is more than one time zone, people!

I'm with you here. I liked the old format. I am fine with the 4:00 PM start time (maybe because I'm working until 4:00..?) :thumbdown: But Day 1 should be rounds 1-3, not only 1-2.

I think I also heard that Godell has said that if the schedule is expanded to include more regular season games then the draft would happen on President's Day weekend.

I thought I saw on the ESPN News scroll earlier that the SB would be held on President's Day weekend, not the draft.

Well I for one love it! First time in 4 years I haven't had to wake up at 4am to watch the first round.

There is more than one time zone, people!

if you're not in the US you don't count

LOL..J/K....maybe :thumbdown:

The real reason that they moved the start is so that espn could get better ratings on the pre draft coverage and still get the ratings for the draft. The ratings of the first round plus six hours of pre draft coverage get espn bigger numbers than the 12 start time. I also think the West Coast factors into the equation.

I think a 2 or 3 o'clock start time would work out for the best. The west coast would still get a good start time and you would get a ton of pre draft time as well but you would also get a bigger audience for the later first round and early second round picks.

I am just kinda mad because I have to work today at five so I would not get to see the bills pick.

Unfortunate for you, the people around here outnumber you. 12 pm EST start time is the best time to start the draft IMO.

The people on the east coast outnumber the rest of the US and world, huh?

And I guess it's unfortunate for you, since I'm the one watching when I want to.

Guest dog14787
Unfortunate for you, the people around here outnumber you. 12 pm EST start time is the best time to start the draft IMO.

4 PM is to late :thumbdown:

Well, if you want me to get more technical about what around here is, I mean 48 of the states of the U.S. and parts of Canada that are the target audience of the draft. If the rest of the world were as important, I would assume NFL Europe would have thrived more and the draft would possibly be held in China or India where there are more people than there are in all of North America.

Guest dog14787

And I guess it's unfortunate for you, since I'm the one watching when I want to.

I would love to wake up in the morning to the draft, it would be awesome. :thumbdown: