No to Pettigrew

I am going to be sick to my stomach if we bring in pettigrew as our numer one pick.. Yes we need a TE.. but seriously you can get a decent TE in the 4th round.. This team would be really stupid not to get everett brown or a OT with the first pick.. We need to fill our core positions and TE is not a need we need to adress first.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I just don't get it. Everyone bitched, whined, cried and complained every time Robert Royal made a catastrophic mistake at the worst possible time, but apparently, they have no problem replacing him with someone they'll probably find bagging groceries five years from now.

A good TE may not be the answer to every problem on that side of the ball, but in contrast, a bad TE can certainly kill an offense. If the Bills pass on Pettigrew, they'd better know what they're doing.

I guess I just don't get it. Everyone bitched, whined, cried and complained every time Robert Royal made a catastrophic mistake at the worst possible time, but apparently, they have no problem replacing him with someone they'll probably find bagging groceries five years from now.

A good TE may not be the answer to every problem on that side of the ball, but in contrast, a bad TE can certainly kill an offense. If the Bills pass on Pettigrew, they'd better know what they're doing.

I personally want a pass catching TE

how is pettigrew the next gonzo?

Guest dog14787
I am going to be sick to my stomach if we bring in pettigrew as our numer one pick.. Yes we need a TE.. but seriously you can get a decent TE in the 4th round.. This team would be really stupid not to get everett brown or a OT with the first pick.. We need to fill our core positions and TE is not a need we need to adress first.

I hope you are puking your guts out tomorrow then. :thumbsup:

I personally want a pass catching TE

how is pettigrew the next gonzo?

I never said he was. The point I'm making is that everyone whines and complains about how bad Royal was, but they want to replace him on the cheap. Well, maybe that'll work out, but a 3rd or 4th round TE prospect has about the same chance of success as any other 3rd or 4th round choice. In other words, the odds are slim and if you're relying on that guy to start or contribute in year 1, prepare to be disappointed.

If finding a decent TE is so easy, why haven't the Bills found one in around 20 years? It's not like they haven't drafted them, spending a second, 3rd, 4th, and more on them in the post-Polian era.

I think you've been reading too many amateur drafts. Everette Brown will probably be one of the biggest sliders in the draft. Might even be there in the 2nd round.

If finding a decent TE is so easy, why haven't the Bills found one in around 20 years? It's not like they haven't drafted them, spending a second, 3rd, 4th, and more on them in the post-Polian era.

Exactly. In fact, considering the number of picks they've blown at the TE position over the last decade plus, if Pettigrew can finally solve their problems at that position, he would be well worth it.

Guest dog14787

I think the position itself is a bit underrated, especially if you have a younger QB you are trying to develop properly. Not having that security blanket gets a young QB injured in my opinion and it really hurts the offenses capability of picking up first downs.

Its a no brainer, you really need a good Tight End to be successful and the Bills have proved it.

The problem is, TE is so deep in this draft and Pettigrew isn't known for his pass catching. If he's going to stay in and block a lot, then fine. But don't try to make him into T-Gon. And try not to take him at #11 when there's no chance of anyone else taking him until the 20's.

My big question is will Pettigrew fill the Bills' need? In that if he's not the fully complete blocking/receiving TE who can stretch the field, is it worth it investing No. 11 at that spot? Would he be a vast improvement over Royal, who was a very good blocker, but useless in the flat? Or asked another way, do we want to use up No. 11 to get the next Daniel Graham?

Yeah, but what does this have to do with moving the Bills out of Buffalo?

I know this is more of a thread about jbb being a complete moron, but here is the latest McShay rumor on BP, FWIW:

Who wants Brandon Pettigrew?

Gonzalez-to-Atlanta takes Falcons out of TE mix

Comment Email Print Share By Todd McShay

Scouts Inc.

Archive The move the Atlanta Falcons made in trading their second-round pick in 2010 might have been a product of the interest TE Brandon Pettigrew is generating ahead of them in the first round. Pettigrew could very well be off the board when the Falcons come on the clock at No. 24 overall, so by making the trade they assure themselves of getting another weapon for QB Matt Ryan and allow themselves to fill another need in the first round.

So where might Pettigrew land? The New York Jets (No. 17) and Philadelphia Eagles (No. 21) both have a need at tight end, and Baltimore Ravens (No. 26) will be in the mix if the Jets make a move for a quarterback (Mark Sanchez) and the Eagles trade their pick for a receiver (Anquan Boldin) or take a running back instead.

The problem is, TE is so deep in this draft and Pettigrew isn't known for his pass catching. If he's going to stay in and block a lot, then fine. But don't try to make him into T-Gon. And try not to take him at #11 when there's no chance of anyone else taking him until the 20's.

You nailed it Leo-Mac.

My big question is will Pettigrew fill the Bills' need? In that if he's not the fully complete blocking/receiving TE who can stretch the field, is it worth it investing No. 11 at that spot? Would he be a vast improvement over Royal, who was a very good blocker, but useless in the flat? Or asked another way, do we want to use up No. 11 to get the next Daniel Graham?

But, but we need a TE -> he's the best one available, therefore we need him. Stop asking all those questions!

No TE on the first day until we make the playoffs.

Just my opinion, but I don't think the Bills are targeting Pettigrew. Most analysts have been of the opinion that Pettigrew would be there at 21, but not at 28. If the Bills were that interested in Pettigrew IMO they would have taken the Philly offer of the 21st pick and 3rd round pick as opposed to pushing for the additional pick next year. This would have left them in a better position to get him.

I am guessing that you already know the answer to that question. If not here is a hint: It's the same reason why they didn't have a dominant LT (other than Peters) in the same span.

What he said

Can we just for once as a franchise make a real effort to get a difference maker Tight End and see what that does for the team instead of wishing for it all season.....wanting it leading up the draft....and deciding we need other things when we can actually DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT