Andre SMith

What's up in Seattle?

Any chance the Seahawks can trade down at the No. 4 slot, if a team either wants to trade up for one of the QBs or O-linemen? — Jim C., Dana Point, Calif.

Steuber:

Jim, a team that potentially trades up with the Seahawks will only do so if Mark Sanchez is still on the board. It's possible that a team like the Buffalo Bills will consider moving up to land Baylor OT Jason Smith or Virginia OT Eugene Monroe. But to think they would give up both of their first-round picks, plus a third-rounder to get up to No. 4 is highly unlikely. The reason why the Bills traded Jason Peters was because they didn't want to give him the money he was seeking; I don't see them turning around and handing that kind of money over to an unproven player.

link

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not going to get all doom and gloom on this like some, because we wont know what is a good move or bad for at least a year or two...so I find it hard to get too excited or pissed about what they do on draft day...at least thats what I tell myself...but I am sure if they were todo some trade that involved 2 first round picks to get this guy with all the red flags, I will probably throw something that breaks against the wall...

Im not opposed at drafting him at #11, or even trading our #11 and say another pick that isnt a first or second, but if we give up 2 first I probably have a s**t fit...at least until I calm down and convince myself it will work out.

What really pisses me off though, is that we are going to pay that dude a butt load of money in the top 5...so why didnt they just up the offer to Peters? Maybe that says more about Peters, his commitment, and his question marks then we think...

It does not make any sense though. They would not give a proven tackle like Peters that kind of coin but are basically willing to give an unproven rookie the same exact contract that Peters would of signed.

So basically if we did this we would not save any money(in fact it would probably cost us a few dollars more), trade a proven bookend tackle for unproven rookie & dropped our first round draft position from #11 to #28. Plus probably trading our third round in exchange for Phillies 4th round pick. Does this make any sense at all?? They can not be that stupid can they?

The only way that this would make sense if they really thought Peters sucks, which we know is not true since they did offer him a sizeable contract.

I'm not completely opposed to taking the guy if he's there at #11, but they would have to give up a king's ransom to move up that many slots into the high first round, basically sh-- canning the rest of their draft. Not to mention paying him almost as much as Peters wanted.

I sure hope Dr. Fong is correct but I am fully prepared for the Bills to do something inexplicably stupid as usual on draft weekend.

KD, here is all you need to know about drafting Tackles. Although the great ones are almost always very drafted early, some damn good ones have been picked approx. where we are. The problem is obviously making the right call, or even being willing at all to devote major resources to this position.

Levi Jones was #10, as was Willie Anderson

Tra Thomas was # 11

Brad Hopkins (very underrated imo) was #13

John Tait was #14

Tarik Glenn was # 19 (a great one imo), as was Todd Steussie

Somehow, Michael Roos lasted until the 9th pick of round 2.

My point is that you are right....teams have drafted very good/great OTs where we sit. Can or will the Bills do the same? We can only hope.

If they could do it for the 11th pick, a 4th round pick, and next year's 2nd rounder, fine. If they manage to lose this year's second round pick they are more incompetent than I thought.

You are a complete !@#$ing moron, I'm sorry. This guy has been labeled the biggest bust prospect of the draft and has a a better than average chance of being moved to guard when all is said and done, and you want to give up THREE first day draft picks for him? I'm sorry, I have to put you on "ignore," you're causing my blood pressure to skyrocket.

I was all for trading Peters. His contract demands were crazy and his production didn't merit them. But Smith won't be any cheaper! None of the guys will be, and at least with Peters, for better or worse, you knew what you were getting. All this talk about Demetrius Bell is for naught if this happens and we set our franchise back another decade. This doesn't even make any sense from a posturing standpoint. Who are you trying to fool in this scenario??? You might hear a single gunshot 5:00pm Saturday.

You are a complete !@#$ing moron, I'm sorry. This guy has been labeled the biggest bust prospect of the draft and has a a better than average chance of being moved to guard when all is said and done, and you want to give up THREE first day draft picks for him? I'm sorry, I have to put you on "ignore," your causing my blood pressure to skyrocket.

I was all for trading Peters. His contract demands were crazy and his production didn't merit them. But Smith won't be any cheaper! None of the guys will be, and at least with Peters, for better or worse, you knew what you were getting. All this talk about Demetrius Bell is for naught if this happens and we set our franchise back another decade. This doesn't even make any sense from a posturing standpoint. Who are you trying to fool in this scenario??? You might hear a single gunshot 5:00pm Saturday.

First: settle down.

Second: a fourth round pick is not a first day pick. So you are the moron.

Third: What is your plan for fixing the o-line?

Fourth: settle down. You're making an a$$ out of yourself, but that's nothing new for you.

You are a complete !@#$ing moron, I'm sorry. This guy has been labeled the biggest bust prospect of the draft and has a a better than average chance of being moved to guard when all is said and done, and you want to give up THREE first day draft picks for him? I'm sorry, I have to put you on "ignore," your causing my blood pressure to skyrocket.

So are you saying that a guy who did 9 reps with 225 and hasn't played is ready to step in and be a quality NFL Left Tackle?

First: settle down.

Second: a fourth round pick is not a first day pick. So you are the moron.

Third: What is your plan for fixing the o-line?

Fourth: settle down. You're making an a$$ out of yourself, but that's nothing new for you.

Sorry, two first day picks and a second day picks. It's irrelevant. Trading up for Andre Smith?? Are you people INSANE??? If you didn't feel comfortable enough with what you had without Peters before trading him then that should have come into your thought process when pulling the trigger on a trade. And this idea that these are the only tackles worth drafting is nonsense.

I'll settle down when the draft has come and gone and we haven't mortgaged our future for a guaranteed bust. Until then, eat me.

So are you saying that a guy who did 9 reps with 225 and hasn't played is ready to step in and be a quality NFL Left Tackle?

I have no idea. I haven't seen him play. None of us really have. But I'd rather grab a guy like Britton, or Beatty or Loadholt and let them compete with Bell, Walker, Chambers, and any other FA we deem worthy to pick up.

I'd do this as long as we don't lose our 2nd and both our 4ths, Monroe is a going to be a force. That said I don't see them doing this and I would rather sit back and wait anyways.

I don't think people understand that good teams build franchises by manipulating the draft for value, not just throwing draft picks around to grab highly rated players. Just because Monroe is a top tackle in this draft class doesn't make him an all-world tackle. While his "bust factor" is very low, if you were going to trade up for him you might as well have just paid Peters and stayed with the #11 draft pick.

That fat manatee only did 9 fukking reps of 225?

I'm out of shape, pathetic and stupid and I can do 9 reps of 225.

Sorry, two first day picks and a second day picks. It's irrelevant. Trading up for Andre Smith?? Are you people INSANE??? If you didn't feel comfortable enough with what you had without Peters before trading him then that should have come into your thought process when pulling the trigger on a trade. And this idea that these are the only tackles worth drafting is nonsense.

I didn't make the trade. Nor was I happy about it. But now we're where we are, need to fix the problem somehow.

I have no idea. I haven't seen him play. None of us really have. But I'd rather grab a guy like Britton, or Beatty or Loadholt and let them compete with Bell, Walker, Chambers, and any other FA we deem worthy to pick up.

He's talking about DEMETRIUS BELL. Again, you are proving yourself to be too stupid for this Board, which is saying something.

I don't think people understand that good teams build franchises by manipulating the draft for value, not just throwing draft picks around to grab highly rated players. Just because Monroe is a top tackle in this draft class doesn't make him an all-world tackle. While his "bust factor" is very low, if you were going to trade up for him you might as well have just paid Peters and stayed with the #11 draft pick.

I think we do understand it. The Bills have put themselves in a position where they have no starting left side of their offensive line, and no elite players anywhere on the line. They need to fix it, fast.

I didn't make the trade. Nor was I happy about it. But now we're where we are, need to fix the problem somehow.

You don't make the trade unless you are comfortable going into the season with what you have or what you can reasonably ascertain. If the Peters situation forces you to trade the farm for a guaranteed bust like Andre Smith then you don't do it! That being said, there are other ways to address the situation, and there are other holes on this team to fill.

He's talking about DEMETRIUS BELL. Again, you are proving yourself to be too stupid for this Board, which is saying something.

Really? How is that, tough guy? I know who did the nine reps - I was the one who posted the link last week you dolt. And unlike the Bell fan club - and there is one - I'm not sold on him, but he's had a full year and allegedly has talent. He's not being thrown in there either, he's being allowed to compete with three other players for the position. But let me know when I'm "too stupid for this board," please.

I think we do understand it. The Bills have put themselves in a position where they have no starting left side of their offensive line, and no elite players anywhere on the line. They need to fix it, fast.

I don't think you do. If you think mortgaging the future for Andre Smith then you obviously don't.

I have, and you are.

Thanks for letting me know. Glad you could be the judge and jury on this one. You've certainly proven yourself to be a worthy contributor. Why not trade away the entire draft? It worked for Mike Ditka in NO, right? And Minny in the 90's?? Moron...

The great part is, your name is "High on Bell." Why not make it "Not so High on Bell," or "High on Mortgaging the Future"? How about "High on Andre Smith"? Or how about "I just have no !@#$ing idea what I'm talking about but hate when people make valid points that disagree with my line of thought"...??

Why would the Bills work so hard to trade one character-challenged LT, only to work even harder to pick up another?

This has to be a smokescreen to try and influence another team (Cincy or another team trying to trade up ahead of the Bills?) to bite on Smith so that their preferred choice is available at 11.

You may have something.....Their prefered choice???

Raji, maybe. :thumbsup: