Casserly's opinion of the tackles

Charlie Casserly, the former gm of the Redskins and Texans was interviewed on Sirius NFL's Moving the Chains by Kirwain and Ryan. When Casserly was asked his opinion on the top two offensive tackles (Smith and Monroe), he said that neither guy was an elite talent. He then explained that if Smith and Monroe were part of last year's draft, they would have selected after Clady and Alberts. Meaning they would be mid to late round picks. Of all the opinions I have heard, I respect Casserly's the most. He was an above average to good gm who can state his opinion without bias.

The fear that I now have is that Buffalo will not be able to find an Left Tackle in the draft. I'm sure a good one will emerge, but who? I also think that it is possible that this is a bad year to have multiple picks. I would not be suprised to see teams like the Patriots trade some of their picks in 2009 for 2010 draft picks.

How nice would it be to have guys like Clady and Alberts available this year at 11. I hope the bills can find a star at 11, cross your fingers.

Charlie Casserly, the former gm of the Redskins and Texans was interviewed on Sirius NFL's Moving the Chains by Kirwain and Ryan. When Casserly was asked his opinion on the top two offensive tackles (Smith and Monroe), he said that neither guy was an elite talent. He then explained that if Smith and Monroe were part of last year's draft, they would have selected after Clady and Alberts. Meaning they would be mid to late round picks. Of all the opinions I have heard, I respect Casserly's the most. He was an above average to good gm who can state his opinion without bias.

The fear that I now have is that Buffalo will not be able to find an Left Tackle in the draft. I'm sure a good one will emerge, but who? I also think that it is possible that this is a bad year to have multiple picks. I would not be suprised to see teams like the Patriots trade some of their picks in 2009 for 2010 draft picks.

How nice would it be to have guys like Clady and Alberts available this year at 11. I hope the bills can find a star at 11, cross your fingers.

Casserly "had" a decent rep which led to his Texans job, but did so poorly he was removed. I'm not quite so sure that he is as solid of an evaluator as some think he is.

His opinions has to have more value than the others people on this board listen to. He was an actual gm, instead of a member of the media who writes a bogus mock draft without knowing anything about evaluating talent. He had good years in Washington and could have done ok in Texas if he passed on David Carr. It seems however, that people would rather listen to sources like Bob's draft site.

How come Alberts couldn't beat out Monroe at LT in college? Thats why he played guard in college , because Virginia coaches thought Monroe was better.

Casserly's last draft with the Texans will probably go down as one of the better drafts of the decade:

1 Mario Williams North Carolina State

2 DeMeco Ryans Alabama

3 Charles Spencer Pittsburgh

3 Eric Winston Miami (FL)

4 Owen Daniels Wisconsin

6 Wali Lundy Virginia

7 David Anderson Colorado State

part of the reason casserly lost his job was because he picked Mario Williams the super DL over popular choices Reggie Bush and hometowm boy QB Vince Young......looks like he knows what he's talking about.

Some of the reasons he lost his job with the Redskins are-

The Redskins had a top 5 selection in the first round at least 3 times when he was their GM and he chose:

Heath Shuler- BUST

Michael Westbrook- BUST

Desmond Howard- BUST

Casserly's last draft with the Texans will probably go down as one of the better drafts of the decade:

1 Mario Williams North Carolina State

2 DeMeco Ryans Alabama

3 Charles Spencer Pittsburgh

3 Eric Winston Miami (FL)

4 Owen Daniels Wisconsin

6 Wali Lundy Virginia

7 David Anderson Colorado State

Pretty impressive, considering Williams, Ryans, and Daniels are 3 of the best players at their positions in the NFL, and Winston is their starting RT. I also don't think that this is a great OT group and hope the Bills don't take one early.

I don't think the Bills FO would have traded Peters if they didn't think they could fill the void with players already on the roster. You know they didn't talk about Peters for an hour or two, it was the topic for weeks. I believe they convinced themselves that they can still go forward with their draft plans. I just can't imagine they said well we don't think we can solve the LT issue in house, so lets just hope this guy is there at #11 or this guy at #28 etc.

I believe they are going to draft Pettigrew. I think they believe he is the best player at his position by such a large margin that warrants taking him at #11. They feel taking any other position will render the 3rd or 4th best player at that given position.

In this excellent article in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, several big name talent evaluators agree with Casserly. Quoted by name was a general manager (AJ Smith), a scouting coordinator (Blake Beddingfield), another scout (Charles Fisher), a director of player personnel (Trent Baalke), and another general manager (Jerry Angelo).

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/43260222.html

The article makes it sound like it is a consensus that this year's tackle crop is not elite.

Tackle at 11 seems to be an exceptionally improbable pick in light of (and not despite) the trade of Peters. Most evaluations of the Bills' value in that trade are being deferred until after draft day-- drafting a LT with the 11th pick concedes that the Bills essentially avoided a headache by moving down 17 picks. Using their own pick to replace what they lost to Philly, and Philly's pick to address the needs they had before the trade, admits to more than the front office is willing to, I'd guess.

The best scenario, in that case, would be that the Bills would draft a Pro Bowl tackle with their original pick, instead of a potential Pro Bowler at a glaring position of need before they ever consummated the trade of Peters (a DE, TE, OLB, to name a few). I just can't imagine a young, unestablished front office opening themselves up to that kind of criticism. At this point in their careers, no one's going to give them the benefit of the doubt when they make dubious decisions-- they need to look like they know what they're doing.

I'm not advocating this approach. To be sure, I have no opinion of drafting an offensive tackle at #11; but I think that the front office (particularly Russ Brandon, whose hiring raised some eyebrows) will be overly self-conscious, at this point, and make an effort to keep up appearances-- for the sake of his own reputation, if nothing else.

I have heard from MANY of the talking heads that while there is no elite talent, the are MANY that are VERY GOOD. The Bills are just as likely to get a OT in Rd 2 or 3 that has as much talent as those chosen before them. Which is to say they will be DECENT but not in the class of Boselli or the like.

part of the reason casserly lost his job was because he picked Mario Williams the super DL over popular choices Reggie Bush and hometowm boy QB Vince Young......looks like he knows what he's talking about.

That was the best choice and he really went against the grain and looks like genius now for it. :lol:

I don't think the Bills FO would have traded Peters if they didn't think they could fill the void with players already on the roster. You know they didn't talk about Peters for an hour or two, it was the topic for weeks. I believe they convinced themselves that they can still go forward with their draft plans. I just can't imagine they said well we don't think we can solve the LT issue in house, so lets just hope this guy is there at #11 or this guy at #28 etc.

I believe they are going to draft Pettigrew. I think they believe he is the best player at his position by such a large margin that warrants taking him at #11. They feel taking any other position will render the 3rd or 4th best player at that given position.

As much peeing and moaning that goes on about the FO here they always do have a plan. People wondered what would happen if sWillis was let go and then they got ML. I truly believe they will have a good answer to the loss of JP. People need to realize that JP wasn't going to be here unless he was paid a God awful amount of money. He didn't really care about playing for Buffalo last year because of his contract and he was addition by subtraction on that level.

The guy they start most likely won't be a pro-bowler but I'd be willing to wager he'll be solid.

Casserly's OLine in Houston was one of the worst in HISTORY. That said, he's likely just repeating what his sources tell him.

There is some truth in your statement. He said that some teams are afraid of Monroe's knee. He did offer some of his own thoughts. Of the two, he like Monroe better. Thinks he is more athletic and has a better chance of developing into an above average to good lt.

There are four OT's being projected as top 10 (or 11) picks. If the consensus was that the class was that weak, I don't think we'd be looking at that number of tackles being touted as such high draft choices. I leave Oher for the second tier, but would be happy to get any of the top three tackles at 11.

Charlie Casserly, the former gm of the Redskins and Texans was interviewed on Sirius NFL's Moving the Chains by Kirwain and Ryan. When Casserly was asked his opinion on the top two offensive tackles (Smith and Monroe), he said that neither guy was an elite talent. ....

Yeah, and today's theme around this board is how much of an elite talent every scout and guru thought Mike Williams was. If the Bills draft Oher or another tackle that starts half way through this season without getting injured, that will be "elite" enough for me!