Josh Reed

todzilla

I keep reading that people think Roscoe Parrish could be like Wes Welker in the right system, but isn't Josh Reed really that guy. With Owens and Evans on the outside could we see Reed catch 80+ balls for 850 yards and 7-10 TD's. He really played well at times last year as the de facto # 2 receiver. He could eliminate the need to spend a high pick on a TE and give Fine a year to show what he can do. Sorry if I'm hitting a topic that has been done alot, but I'm newish to TSW.

I keep reading that people think Roscoe Parrish could be like Wes Welker in the right system, but isn't Josh Reed really that guy. With Owens and Evans on the outside could we see Reed catch 80+ balls for 850 yards and 7-10 TD's. He really played well at times last year as the de facto # 2 receiver. He could eliminate the need to spend a high pick on a TE and give Fine a year to show what he can do. Sorry if I'm hitting a topic that has been done alot, but I'm newish to TSW.

Nice post. I completely agree. Reed can be much more lethal than Parrish in the slot. The guy had 56 catches and 0 drops last season. I think Reed could walk all over nickel corners with T.O. and Evans on the outside.

My prediction is Reed puts up better numbers than T.O. this season.

Nice post. I completely agree. Reed can be much more lethal than Parrish in the slot. The guy had 56 catches and 0 drops last season. I think Reed could walk all over nickel corners with T.O. and Evans on the outside.

My prediction is Reed puts up better numbers than T.O. this season.

I use to think Reed was a waste now I think very highly of him, he will be hte receiver that does all of the dirty and makes tough catches. He should really see an improvement in his numbers.

you are exactly right. And it is the reason i hope the Bills dont go after a TE. Evans and Owens will command a lot of attention, leaving Reed matched up with a safety or nickel back. And thus leave Fine to be covered by a LB. I think Reed is actually Edwards favorite reciever. If you look at how Trents play suffered last year, Reed was hurt a lot of those games in the middle of the season.

Also going forward hopefully Johnson or Hardy will develope into the outside guy, that Owens is this year. Meaning you dont really need a dominant TE. Yes it is nice, but not when you got other areas of need.

Bills need to focus on D front seven and interior Oline in this draft.

you are exactly right. And it is the reason i hope the Bills dont go after a TE. Evans and Owens will command a lot of attention, leaving Reed matched up with a safety or nickel back. And thus leave Fine to be covered by a LB. I think Reed is actually Edwards favorite reciever. If you look at how Trents play suffered last year, Reed was hurt a lot of those games in the middle of the season.

Also going forward hopefully Johnson or Hardy will develope into the outside guy, that Owens is this year. Meaning you dont really need a dominant TE. Yes it is nice, but not when you got other areas of need.

Bills need to focus on D front seven and interior Oline in this draft.

Very true. The front 7 should be our first two picks. Then we draft our center in the 2nd.

I think Josh Reed on a relative basis is going to have the best year out of the WR's this year. T.O and Lee Evans are going to command a lot of attention on the outside, coupled with Reed's and Edwards familiarity with one another, I could see Reed having a big year.

We just need to give Trent some time to throw the ball.

Guest dog14787
Very true. The front 7 should be our first two picks. Then we draft our center in the 2nd.

Pettigrew would improve the line along with requiring extra attention because of his catching abilities. Trent Edwards has one of the quickest releases in the game and if he has good short and intermediate targets the ball will be out of his hands fast. If Trent Edwards becomes as efficient as I think he will with good short range targets, he will have defenses on their heels with his short and intermediate game much like Montana used to do.

The O-line while still very important, I really think could be addressed in the later rounds. TE and Beef up our Defense first if at all possible in my opinion.

We can pepper in a couple of good O-line prospects as we go along.

Josh is much more Wes Welkerish.

I agree that Josh Reed is the guy that the Bills have USED as that guy but I still would rather see Parrish get those touches. When the best thing you can say about a WR is that he's a solid blocker that's usually not good.

For whatever reason, Parrish hasn't gotten the ball nearly enough in his tenure here. If that's on him for not being open so be it. Given our recent braintrust I tend to think it's more a lack of creativity on our part. For example, why Parrish ever splits out wide is beyond me. He's the definition of a slot receiver. He should be getting at least a couple touches a game on bubble screens (given how much we throw on 3rd and short, etc.) and other plays that get him in space with the ball. Those plays haven't been called. Part of it may be how Parrish has been defensed. When he was on the field in pre-2008 he was no worse than the 3rd scariest player on the field for a defense behind Evans and maybe Lynch. Nobody gameplans to stop Josh Reed. They'll let him catch balls all day because it's better to take away the home run hitters like Evans and Parrish. Realistically our passing options last year were not great and the lack of a real TE or legit #2 WR hurt us. it was very easy to take players away from us. Now we have a real #2. Even if we don't get a TE defenses will plan for TO ahead of Parrish now so that might make some space underneath for him. If we had a real TE to put on the other side of the field we'd be pretty scary as there'd be 5 real/scary passing options on every play instead of the previous 3 (Evans, Lynch and Parrish - noone cares about Reed or any TE we have)

The bottom line is at least one of the WRs from last year is leaving.

Evans - staying

Stevie Johnson - better be staying

Hardy - staying

Jenkins - probably staying since the replacement on the roster is TO and he plays no ST

That leaves room for Reed or Parrish but not both (assuming we carry 6 WRs and don't draft any of note). Parrish is the best PR in football and has potential to be dynamic on every snap he's on the field as the 3rd or 4th WR. Reed is a reasonably dependable posession receiver who can block and catch punts but isn't a game breaker in any phase. He's also older and less marketable. I think Parrish ends up staying and Reed either gets cut or dealt.

I agree that Josh Reed is the guy that the Bills have USED as that guy but I still would rather see Parrish get those touches. When the best thing you can say about a WR is that he's a solid blocker that's usually not good.

For whatever reason, Parrish hasn't gotten the ball nearly enough in his tenure here. If that's on him for not being open so be it. Given our recent braintrust I tend to think it's more a lack of creativity on our part. For example, why Parrish ever splits out wide is beyond me. He's the definition of a slot receiver. He should be getting at least a couple touches a game on bubble screens (given how much we throw on 3rd and short, etc.) and other plays that get him in space with the ball. Those plays haven't been called. Part of it may be how Parrish has been defensed. When he was on the field in pre-2008 he was no worse than the 3rd scariest player on the field for a defense behind Evans and maybe Lynch. Nobody gameplans to stop Josh Reed. They'll let him catch balls all day because it's better to take away the home run hitters like Evans and Parrish. Realistically our passing options last year were not great and the lack of a real TE or legit #2 WR hurt us. it was very easy to take players away from us. Now we have a real #2. Even if we don't get a TE defenses will plan for TO ahead of Parrish now so that might make some space underneath for him. If we had a real TE to put on the other side of the field we'd be pretty scary as there'd be 5 real/scary passing options on every play instead of the previous 3 (Evans, Lynch and Parrish - noone cares about Reed or any TE we have)

The bottom line is at least one of the WRs from last year is leaving.

Evans - staying

Stevie Johnson - better be staying

Hardy - staying

Jenkins - probably staying since the replacement on the roster is TO and he plays no ST

That leaves room for Reed or Parrish but not both (assuming we carry 6 WRs and don't draft any of note). Parrish is the best PR in football and has potential to be dynamic on every snap he's on the field as the 3rd or 4th WR. Reed is a reasonably dependable posession receiver who can block and catch punts but isn't a game breaker in any phase. He's also older and less marketable. I think Parrish ends up staying and Reed either gets cut or dealt.

The best thing we could say about him is he caught 50+ balls and had zero drops....the next best thing you can say, is he's top 5 blocking WRs in the league. When you say those 2 things about your slot WR, you've got a pretty good slot wr. Parrish is a midget. no one can see him. realize it and move on. He's a tremendous Punt Returner.

The best thing we could say about him is he caught 50+ balls and had zero drops....the next best thing you can say, is he's top 5 blocking WRs in the league. When you say those 2 things about your slot WR, you've got a pretty good slot wr. Parrish is a midget. no one can see him. realize it and move on. He's a tremendous Punt Returner.

We disagree. Like I said, it's entirely possible that Parrish just hasn't gotten open. I also haven't seen any sort of concerted effort to get him the ball. Reed has bounced back well from the dropsies that he suffered through earlier in his career. Also, Reed started 13 games last year so he was (at least nominally) the #2 WR last year, not the slot.

If I have to pick between the two guys for one roster spot I have to look at what each guy can do that I can't replace. TO should take more than 50 balls himself so Reed catching 50 balls is already replaced. He's not tall, he's not fast, he's not a game breaker on ST, he's not a gunner. He's 5'10" tall. He's 28 years old. His blocking is definetly good and not something that can be replaced by TO or Parrish. The question with that skill now is how often will we run out of 3WR sets? he is not exciting to any marketing department anywhere

Parrish caught half as many passes last year and scored just as many TDs (1 - YAY!) and was usually the 3rd or 4th WR though he spit wide on occasion. He's also never had more than 35 in a year. He's 5'9" tall and is much slighter than Reed (by about 40 lbs). He's 26 years old. His blocking is not comparable to Reed. He is quicker than he is fast but is both quicker and faster than Reed. He is not a gunner. He is the best PR in the NFL though that skill could possibly be replaced by McKelvin, though McKelvin is slated to start at CB this year and players usually come off full-time returns at that point, see also Nate Clements. He is highly marketable and is good for at least one buzz making play a season, if not more.

I'm not saying that Reed isn't a good football player. If we keep the other WRs we have to pick one. Even if Parrish is only ever a great PR he's still the best in the league at that right now. Hardy Evans and Owens ar elocks. I think we all want Steve Johnson to stay and Jenkins is the incumbent gunner. The only other person who could cobceivably go would be Jenkins but I'd need to see the plan for kick coverage if that happens. Neither Parrish nor Reed is the perfect player but given what each can do and the small number of times each is likely to see the ball this season I'd rather have Parrish for his gamebreaking ability and special teams play. You'd rather have Reed and that's cool. Reed just doesn't do enough for to me to make him unreplaceable. Also, even if we assume that Parrish flops at the #3 WR it makes more room for Johnson to get on the field which most of us want anyway. If Reed's there Jauron has the "proven veteran" card to cling to.

If you were to keep Reed the question would then be Parrish or Jenkins and I think Parrish still wins since it's harder to find a PR than a gunner.

The only difference is can Reed get open 7-8 yards down the LoS and catch the ball. He did have a few drops the year before. Having said all this, I hope the bills can play smash mouth football and Edwards never has to throw more than 200 yards a game as long as we can dominate the run.

I used to rip on reed...i don't anymore. This guys just plain keeps getting better the older he gets, or at least better each of the last couple of years.

Yes, it will help, but I would be thrilled with 60 + and 6 TDs for Reed.

I'll be even more honest with ya, I would be OK with our starting 3 receivers catching 200 or so balls and 18 TDs. Its not stellar, but it would be passable.

EDIT: just some additional info; our starting 3 WRs caught 143 balls for 1,846 yards...and 5 TDs.

Could I be asking too much for 18 TDs?

Reed has developed into and excellent posession WR who knows how to get open. He's not going to beat anybody deep, but he has a knack for shaking the coverage. Our offense really suffered last year when he went down with the achilles strain. Our WR's really struggled then. I think he could have a big season, but I think a "big" season for him would be 500-600 yards and 5-7 TD's, if that.

I definitely gave Reed a lot of grief in his early years. Lots of drops and overall wasn't very reliable. Today, he's the go to guy on 3rd down. Not only is he good at blocking, he LIKES to block. I enjoy watching him piss off DB's over the course of the game by getting up in their face. I wish the rest of our OLine would take after that nasty streak...

Yes, it will help, but I would be thrilled with 60 + and 6 TDs for Reed.

Considering that Reed has a total of 9 TDs over his whole career thusfar I think you might be reaching a bit high.

FWIW, Reed has touched the ball a total of 303 times and scored 9 TDs in 7 years. Parrish has touched the ball 218 times and scored 9 TDs in 4 years.