Next Year's First Rounder

MrLocke

As I see it the Bills do not have enough high draft picks to fill all their needs this year. I do not think it is realistic to expect players to start after the second or may be even the third round. At best with the picks the Bills have now they can fill 4 needs maybe five if they package the 2 fourth rounders to get back into the 3rd round. As I see it the Bills have 6 needs. A TE, 2 starters on the o-line, a DE, a OLB and someone to man one of the other sfety spots next to Whitner. The way to fill these needs. Trade the 2010 first rounder. Another reason I could see it happening is that Jauron has to win NOW. If he's not around future draft picks are meaningless to him.

As I see it the Bills do not have enough high draft picks to fill all their needs this year. I do not think it is realistic to expect players to start after the second or may be even the third round. At best with the picks the Bills have now they can fill 4 needs maybe five if they package the 2 fourth rounders to get back into the 3rd round. As I see it the Bills have 6 needs. A TE, 2 starters on the o-line, a DE, a OLB and someone to man one of the other sfety spots next to Whitner. The way to fill these needs. Trade the 2010 first rounder. Another reason I could see it happening is that Jauron has to win NOW. If he's not around future draft picks are meaningless to him.

I don't think they'll mortgage the future for a prospect. The Bills may have all 6 of those needs, as you stated above, but that doesn't mena they need to get 6 first and second rounders. Keith Ellison and Kyle Williams both stepped in year one and contributed and they were 5th and 6th rounders. Even if you had the top 6 picks in the draft, you're not guaranteed 6 players who will come in and be all-stars in year one. The better hope would be to expect the top three picks will help out this year in more prominant roles, while the other three needs you stated are worked in.

I can guarantee that they will not hae two rookies starting on the line opening day. I would think barring some odd and obviously joyous situation Kelsey will be the opening day starter. And I think that there is a good chance that Derek Fine is going to be the opening day starter at TE.

If they could pull two front 7 defensive players and one offensive linemen that would contribute this upcoming year, I would be happy.

No offense, but this is not the draft year you try to put all your eggs into.

...No, this is not that year at all.

No offense, but this is not the draft year you try to put all your eggs into.

...No, this is not that year at all.

You think this is a weak draft? Do you think 2010 is stronger? I think some years when a strong draft is followed by a weak draft a 2nd rounder in the strong draft is worth as much as a 1st rounder in the weak draft.

The real reason this IS possible is because all the decision makers in the Bills' war room Saturday are feeling desperate, in my very uninformed opinion -- even Ralph, who clearly realizes he isn't getting any younger.

I don't think so. We actually have 3 picks in the first 42. That is extremely good. Trading future 1's never seems to be a good idea. Imagine how ticked you'll be next year if we don't have a first round pick to be talking about (unless that pick was going to be #32)

You think this is a weak draft? Do you think 2010 is stronger? I think some years when a strong draft is followed by a weak draft a 2nd rounder in the strong draft is worth as much as a 1st rounder in the weak draft.

No, I am not 100% sure about 2010.

I just know from everything that I have read that THIS is not a strong draft and I am not sure we are quite at the state to see how many FIRST ROUND draft picks we can stack it with, or give up for it.

What do you do if AFTER the 2010 college season the 2010 draft is deep at a position of need, wherein you might be able to fall back in round 1 or get more picks later in the draft?

My one overall feeling this year is that I do not want to stretch in this years draft. Get what we need, get deals if they are out there, and that's it.

hmmm, why can't i get the image of JP Losman from the 2004 Draft Class out of my head?

NOTE: Thank you, G.Host, I had not yet seen your post before i revised mine, but your point is my point.

The next JP Losman may be available; I can not see why the Bills would not trade future picks to get such a player a year earlier then they would have otherwise. :rolleyes:

The perfect example of why not to make such a move. That bust cost us more than the Mike Williams bust simply because it started off by setting us back two years and in the end set us back a lot longer than that.

And I know many think the jury is still out of McCargo, but it is hurting the team still.

The next JP Losman may be available; I can not see why the Bills would not trade future picks to get such a player a year earlier then they would have otherwise. :rolleyes:

Fair Point, but the next Jeff Otah might be availible too. Carolina traded their 2009 1st rounder to Philly in 2008 to get an OT.

Who knows what the Bills would do but the only way I'd give up next years #1 is if Carolina couldn't trade Peppers before or during the draft and after the draft they came to us and said we'll give you Peppers for Schobel and next years #1- that's something I'd strongly consider if Peppers contract could be worked out.

Trading next year's #1 is a desperation move. No matter how "can't-miss" a pick may seem there are no guarantees. Pick badly and you are doubly screwed: wasted pick and no #1 the next year.

PTR

For the first time ever I agree with Promo. You should only trade 1st round picks for established players or more/better picks, unless you believe you are 1 player away from the SB. There is not enough talent in this draft to adequately fill the Bills roster if they had 6 first rounders =/

It also stand to reason that the Bills 1st round pick next year is going to be substantially more valuable than it is this year. Looking at our schedule, if one or two teams happen to have a great game against the Bills, I can see us logging a fat 0-16.

I wouldnt be surprised if they did, 2010 is uncapped the market might explode. If trading away our #1 next year and then some in order to get us 3 first rounders to fill our every and all need and will be able to start right of the bat I'd say go for it.

I see us using a draft pick in a trade for a player from another team. Waters? Henderson? Scheffler? one of those needs will come in the form of an established player. Possibly a player for player trade. Parrish for Scheffler for example.

Trading next year's #1 is a desperation move. No matter how "can't-miss" a pick may seem there are no guarantees. Pick badly and you are doubly screwed: wasted pick and no #1 the next year.

PTR

Exactly; it's a suckers move. Winning teams stockpile picks by taking advantage of teams who make dumb decisions to move back up in the current year's draft (to select guys like McCargo or Losman), and kill their future drafts.

I sure hope they dont plan on doing this. We are going to be drafting in the top 5 next year, so trading a soon-to-be top 5 pick for even a late first rounder this year would be a bad move IMO (Think Greg Hardy/T.Cody or T.Mays/E.Berry).