Mike Schopp

BillsVet

Schopp said today he wouldn't draft a OLT in the first round, and would concentrate on people who have the ball.

The later part, as long as it's a top prospect QB, game breaking RB (see Peterson, Adrian) or top WR I might understand.

I turned it off at that point and I cannot understand who Bulldog tolerates him. Maybe he missed his Mensa meeting this month.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Schopp said today he wouldn't draft a OLT in the first round, and would concentrate on people who have the ball.

The later part, as long as it's a top prospect QB, game breaking RB (see Peterson, Adrian) or top WR I might understand.

I turned it off at that point and I cannot understand who Bulldog tolerates him. Maybe he missed his Mensa meeting this month.

Do you know how many starting left tackles in the league were drafted in the first round? How about the left tackles of the eight teams that played in the last four Super Bowls? You may be surprised.

Schopp looks like he's on drugs to people who are stupid.

I've heard a lot of different sports radio shows around the country, and I have to say that I am glad for the people we have at WGR (minus my personal opinions on Jeremy White, who is smart, I just don't like his attitude). The people here are eloquent, and aren't just people who scream into the microphone and carry uneducated opinions and speak.

The problem is, WGR is listened to by a bunch of mentally incapable people (as evident by the callers), so to them, the people of WGR "suck."

Do you know how many starting left tackles in the league were drafted in the first round? How about the left tackles of the eight teams that played in the last four Super Bowls? You may be surprised.

Well let's see.

Steelers, Cardinals, Giants, Patriots, Colts, Bears, Steelers, Seahawks.

So what's that....

Either Starks or Colon for Pitts which is a 3rd or 4th rounder.

Mike Gandy for the Cards, 3rd round.

David Diehl, 5th round.

Matt Light, 2nd round.

Colts LT at that time would have been Tarik Glenn, he was a 1st rounder.

Bears LT at that time was John Tait, a 1st round pick.

Steelers LT in Super Bowl XL was Marvel Smith, IIRC. He was a 2nd round pick

Seahawks was Walter Jones, also a 1st rounder.

So that's only 3/8 of your Super Bowl LT's. I don't really have the time to go around the league as of today, but I'd guess out of the 32, 14 or less starting LT's were 1st round picks.

but do you think we should go with offensive weapons. I think that is the point he is making

If the offensive weapon is Pettigrew then yes.

It isn't just because he is hands down the best Tight ENd in this draft....his size and blocking ability will be very helpful when we need to keep him in and help out a tackle and also blocking the edge for the run.......

I just dont want to draft him at 11 IF we can trade down and get another pick....

Well let's see.

So what's that....

David Diehl, 5th round.

Matt Light, 2nd round.

So that's only 3/8 of your Super Bowl LT's. I don't really have the time to go around the league as of today, but I'd guess out of the 32, 14 or less starting LT's were 1st round picks.

And Tait wasn't picked by the Bears so only 2 out of hte 8 teams had LT's that they drafted #1.

I know that half the league features a starting left tackle taken in the first round:

J. Long (MIA) Ferguson (NYJ) Joe Thomas (CLE) L. Jones (CIN) T. Thomas (JAC via PHI) D. Brown (HOU) Clady (DEN) Albert (KC) Samuels (WAS) C. Williams/Pace (CHI) McKinnie (MIN) Baker (ATL) Gross (CAR) J. Brown (NO) Staley (SF) W. Jones (SEA)

No starting LT, aside from Peters, has been acquired through trade, and only 3 in UFA.

I know that you can't pin a SB on one position alone, but it doesn't hurt to have a guy who can keep opposing RDE's off their QB.

EDIT: I know that OLT's will be selected at least twice in the top 10, and probably 5+ times in the first round. But that's elementary to the average football fan.

I know that half the league features a starting left tackle taken in the first round:

J. Long (MIA) Ferguson (NYJ) Joe Thomas (CLE) L. Jones (CIN) T. Thomas (JAC via PHI) D. Brown (HOU) Clady (DEN) Albert (KC) Samuels (WAS) C. Williams/Pace (CHI) McKinnie (MIN) Baker (ATL) Gross (CAR) J. Brown (NO) Staley (SF) W. Jones (SEA)

No starting LT, aside from Peters, has been acquired through trade, and only 3 in UFA.

I know that you can't pin a SB on one position alone, but it doesn't hurt to have a guy who can keep opposing RDE's off their QB.

EDIT: I know that OLT's will be selected at least twice in the top 10, and probably 5+ times in the first round. But that's elementary to the average football fan.

The point being that there is no one way to build a Super Bowl team. As previously stated only 2 of the 7(Pittsburgh played twice) teams that played on the last 4 Super Bowls had a LT they drafted first. And on those same seven teams only 3 of their quarterbacks were first round picks. If you go by straight percentages, and I'm saying you should, it would seem that your odds are better if you don't draft a quarterback or a left tackle in the first round.

Mike Schopp is an egotistical jerk who loves to hear himself talk, and also is forever trying to take the "different" or "unique" approach. I have no idea what he means if he is saying the Bills should concentrate on people who "have the ball."

All the Bills have to do Saturday is what everyone who follows the draft around the country think they should do. Draft DE, OT with their two first round picks, or OT, DE. If they choose any other positions, if they try to sell us on any other players being the best "on their board" at 11 or 28 other then DE's or OT's, then the circle jerks will once again prove their stupidity. Take the TE in round 2 - 4. And after that, then they can take their "best athletes on their board."

Well let's see.

So what's that....

David Diehl, 5th round.

Matt Light, 2nd round.

Marvel Smith was the 38th pick in the draft and Light was the 48th pick. That makes 5 of the 8 drafted in the top 50 picks of their classes, which is 1.5 rounds of the draft. The Steelers didn't really walk into the season wanting to play their RT at LT, so I don't think that one really counts for much. That leaves Diehl and Gandy. The Giants were one of teams looking to trade for Jason Peters despite giving Diehl a new contract 1 year ago after the Super Bowl. Hmm. Finally, Gandy is a journeyman and was totally overmatched in the Super Bowl against James Harrison. It would be a hard sell to convince everyone the Cardinals weren't worried about that and didn't try to scheme up help for their average LT.

The funny thing is Mike schoop was the once said trade ryan miller for two firstround picks.... he even states openly that he is not a bills fan... now why would wgr hire a guy who trash talks the bills.... he really pisses me off

The thing I hate about Schoop is, as you stated, he is not a football nor Bills fan. He is a "Tennis Fan." No, there's nothing wrong with being a tennis fan, but... I agree with you. You'd think WGR's drive-home host would be a:

1. Football fan, and

2. Hockey fan.

Although WGR callers are often on the crazy, or misinformed side, Schoop does not hesitate to insult his callers.

Listen to Sirius NFL Radio - in particular, the 3pm show, and see how they treat callers. 180 degrees the opposite.