26,000+ start off in Boston Marathon

joe w bags

Another Boston Marathon. This year some 26000+ are participating. Have you ever entered this Marathon, plan to work out one day to achieve this, or at least dream of doing so? Once upon a time, did run 10 k five times a week, ran in a few marathons and finished but never Boston. Am old now but dream one day of getting in shape and doing this. Would be a very cool achievement.

years ago...more than a decade...I trained for it through the winter in Brockport, and then got terrible shin splints. I remember saturdays finishing my long run with my beard and stache caked in ice. Pain was dam near constant. I stuck to 5 and 10 k's and an occassional 15k (Boilermaker in Utica and Gasparilla down in florida.) for years after. Those days are long gone and I do some work on the exercycle and weights a few times a week. Enjoy it while you've got it!

Another Boston Marathon. This year some 26000+ are participating. Have you ever entered this Marathon, plan to work out one day to achieve this, or at least dream of doing so? Once upon a time, did run 10 k five times a week, ran in a few marathons and finished but never Boston. Am old now but dream one day of getting in shape and doing this. Would be a very cool achievement.

I did my first marathon last fall, and must say thought crossed my mind how cool it would be to qualify for Boston, albeit knew it would take at least two more solid years of training to get to that point.

However, I must admit that first one might just be last. I prolly attempted to do a marathon a bit to soon, seeing as how I quit smoking in May, started running in June, and did the Marathon in November, all after 20 tears of inactivity . That friggen race was WAY harder than i thought it was going to be, and I didn't even run the whole thing, i had to walk the last three miles.

So, would I love to do Boston...absolutely. Do I want to do the training needed to qualify, I don't think so

I work with a guy whose mother is in her 80's and runs marathons and usually finishes tops in her age group. Don't ever let age deter you from realizing your dreams.

encouraging to hear, perhaps a 87 year old guy does have some hope... :)

I work with a guy whose mother is in her 80's and runs marathons and usually finishes tops in her age group. Don't ever let age deter you from realizing your dreams.

I have no dreams of Boston, but a few of my friends and I are seriously toying with the idea of doing the 1/2 Marathon at the Niagara Falls International marathon . . .

I'm currently training for a 1/2 marathon that I'll be doing in June. Starting off with the walking marathons and will hopefully work up to running one some day. :ph34r:

When I was in college, my physical chem prof ran in the Boston

Marathon. (We got to miss two classes ...YAY)

He had a simple race plan.

He found the prettiest young lady he could and followed

her the whole race.....

My mom did the 100th Running of the Boston Marathon (forget the year edit 1996) but she said it was amazing. I tried to get into New York last year but didn't get in through the lottery. Infact my mom and my little sister both ran the marathon this year (don't know the official name) that started in Buffalo and ended in Canada by the falls; of all people in my family I figured I'd be the first to venture up to Buffalo. Just ran the St. Louis Marathon on Sunday and it kind of sucked because it poured rain the entire race and really bad the last 10 miles. I will run both Boston and New York before I die, my ultimate goal is to run in and complete the Ironman in Hawaii.

When I was in college, my physical chem prof ran in the Boston

Marathon. (We got to miss two classes ...YAY)

He had a simple race plan.

He found the prettiest young lady he could and followed

her the whole race.....

and pole vaulted to the finish line

You have to qualify for the Boston Marathon, and the time you have to hit is pretty tough.

Im running the Buffalo half marathon on Memorial Day, and Im going to give the Toronto Marathon a shot in the fall. Running a marathon is very possible for almost anyone with the right mindset. The Boston Marathon is a whole different animal

You have to qualify for the Boston Marathon, and the time you have to hit is pretty tough.

Im running the Buffalo half marathon on Memorial Day, and Im going to give the Toronto Marathon a shot in the fall. Running a marathon is very possible for almost anyone with the right mindset. The Boston Marathon is a whole different animal

Yeah, men 18-34 need to run a qualifying marathon in 3hrs 10min, which is pretty sick. I'm doing the Buffalo full in May and hoping to break 4 hours, down 15 minutes from last year. I can't imagine dropping another 50 minutes (or basically 2 minutes every mile).

I've been to quite a few Boston Marathons, what an experience. They are actually what inspired me to start running.

In college, we would get hammered and scream at the Kenyans, when we grew up a little it would be have a few cocktails and then go out and cheer on the 4 and 5 hour marathoners. The last year I was there we watched from Vox, which usually isn't my speed but they put on a good party and there were a ton of hot chicks and it's near the finish line.