Getting Rhodes Was Really Stupid

Since we got Rhodes and Jackson, hows about trading Lynch for a top 5 pick?

I don't think you understand trades in the NFL. He is a good running back, but that does not warrant a top 5 pick, maybe not even a 1st rounder. We couldn't get a top 5 pick for Peters, and he is supposed to be elite. Lynch is far from elite. Even if he was, we aren't getting a 1st for him. BTW, he is suspended for the first 3 games, why would someone trade for him with his baggage he carries with him.

So you don't think Jackson or Lynch will get injured this year, leaving us short? You don't think that having a great 3rd stringer in an offense that requires 2 backs is important? You don't think that WR is our deepest position?

Other than that, great post!

I know that Lynch will be gone for a few games.

I know that we will need depth at RB.

I know that D.Rhodes is a quality verteran, who in case of injuries could start for a while.

I also know...

In a few games Lynch will be back.

Fred Jackson KICKS ASS!

If we can't afford luxary items like Parrish( who IMO is extrememly valuable), then why the hell can we afford what will soon become the best THIRD string back in the league?

D. Rhodes also wants playing time(can't blame him) but in only a few games we will wont have enough carries for 3 starting caliber RB's.

Why didn't we just suck it up and tried to go with Jackson as starter, and maybe Oman or someother cheap player as backup? It will only be for a max 3 games. I really wish we had just given Jackson a fair raise with the money that we spent on Rhodes.

Don't get me wrong, I like Rhodes, it's just that RB is already possibly our deepest position!

I know that D.Rhodes is a quality verteran, who in case of injuries could start for a while.

I also know...

Fred Jackson KICKS ASS!

If we can't afford luxary items like Parrish( who IMO is extrememly valuable), then why the hell can we afford what will soon become the best THIRD string back in the league?

D. Rhodes also wants playing time(can't blame him) but in only a few games we will wont have enough carries for 3 starting caliber RB's.

Why didn't we just suck it up and tried to go with Jackson as starter, and maybe Oman or someother cheap player as backup? It will only be for a max 3 games. I really wish we had just given Jackson a fair raise with the money that we spent on Rhodes.

Don't get me wrong, I like Rhodes, it's just that RB is already possibly our deepest position!

Rhodes was a bust in Oakland and seems he only produces when he's with the Colts. He's washed up. I agree we should pay Fred his money and start him the first 3 games and if he does well then Lynch can sit and spell him for awhile.

Yup, we should have showed Peter's who's boss. Make him play under his current contrct at least another year. Tell him no new deal period. That would have taught him a lesson.

Of course most likely he wouldn'y have reported till game ten then at best half out of shape and owuld have been totally useless. But that's the mentality our front office needs to have. That will definitely work in todays NFL

I think it is hard to know what the FO is doing as they seem to be motivated most by trying to build a team that the FO can most easily manage rather than build a team which has the best shot at winning games right here and right now.

An example of this seems to be in the FO virtually complete caving to Peters demands for a super huge contract extension and raise even though he was still under contract to play at his current huge rate. In the face of this demand and Peters demonstrating he would throw a hissy fit, the Bills gave Peters exactly what he demanded by trading him.

wow we're not even in the preseason and we already want to speculate that fast Freddy won't be the starter at the start of the season... let's just hope we didn't make rhodes an incredibly rich 3rd string running back

Rhodes was a bust in Oakland and seems he only produces when he's with the Colts. He's washed up. I agree we should pay Fred his money and start him the first 3 games and if he does well then Lynch can sit and spell him for awhile.

Everyone's a bust in Oakland. See Moss, Walker, etc.

We all agree that we'd rather have Fred Jackson in there. There's only one problem..... HE'S NOT UNDER CONTRACT!

For whatever reason, the Bills haven't offered him a long term deal, and he is upset and won't sign the 1 year tender.

As of right now, going into the first 3 games of the season, Xavier Omon is the starter... with no backups.

You sign Rhodes as insurance that this Jackson ordeal doesn't go the route Peters' went. Maybe the Bills don't want to sign Jackson to a long term deal. Rhodes is signed for two years.

Don't speak for everyone. I have seen alot of games that Rhodes has played in for the Colts, and there is a pretty good chance that he will beat Jackson out for the position on opening day.

Eventually he will sign the tender, or he won't play, and at his salary he hasn't made millions to sit back on.

I also know...

Fred Jackson KICKS ASS!

I think they still give Jackson a raise and Rhodes is there to push Omon. If you know that one of your best offensive players will be out for the first three games, and the third guy has never really shown anything, I would be happy to take Rhodes into camp as insurance in case Omon develops fumblitis or Jackson holds out. I think this was a very prudent move to hedge their bets on the RB position. Im sure he didn't get a huge bonus or contract, so he would probably be pretty easy to get rid of. Not to mention he is kind of a bruiser type back and maybe they keep them all and finally go to the power running game. :ph34r:

Rhodes is a smart Pick up he will spell Jackson the games Lynch is suspended and he will be there if either Lynch or Jackson is injured- what I don't understand from the topic starter is the idea that the first three games aren't important- do you think the Bills are so good they are going to Waltz into the playoffs - Please!!! if they make the playoffs it's going to be from scrapping for every game possible

Rhodes is a smart Pick up he will spell Jackson the games Lynch is suspended and he will be there if either Lynch or Jackson is injured- what I don't understand from the topic starter is the idea that the first three games aren't important- do you think the Bills are so good they are going to Waltz into the playoffs - Please!!! if they make the playoffs it's going to be from scrapping for every game possible

Exactly, look at last season, we started out 5-1 and still landed in dead last place and so far out of the playoffs that we couldn't event get tickets for it. If this team starts 0-3 becuase of Lynch being out, he will have single handedly kept our playoff-less streak intact himself. Saying that, getting Rhodes was probably the smartest move that the Bills have made this off-season.

The first 3 games are KEY. While yeah, it'll suck not having beast mode out there, I think we would have a better chance of winning ANY game if certain money was used elsewhere - like both lines.

Yes, I know that the salary of Rhodes is not going to buy you a superbowl caliber OL, but this signing really irritated me after I constantly see us put more money in positions that are better right now then others.

I know that...it's April and a lot can happen between now and openning day

I know that...if Rhodes wasn't confident he wouldn't get enough touches, he wouldn't have signed an incentive-laden deal

I know that...there are bigger fish to fry than this issue

Why do people fall in love with and want to put EVERY Bills player in the HOF ... Xavier is a nice story, but he hasn't proven squat in this league, and if Freddy Jackson gets hurt, I'm in no mood to have to find out.

Yeah, getting proven players and upgrading the talent on this team really pisses me off too! :ph34r:

Not only that, but an emerging trend in the NFL is for quite a few successful teams to have a three-headed running back approach instead of just 2, each bringing different skills to the table, for example:

#1 offense NO Saints: Reggie Bush / Deuce McAlister / Pierre Thomas

'07 Super Bowl Champs: Brandon Jacobs / Ahmad Bradshaw / Derrick Ward

Ravens: McClain / Ray Rice and, um, Moron

I also know...

Fred Jackson KICKS ASS!

I think we are trying to trade Jackson.