Allen Wilson's article

This would have made a better piece:

* April 2004: Jason Peters is signed as an undrafted free agent.

* August 2004: Peters is cut and re-signed to the Practice Squad. Any team in the league can now sign him. Many Peters haters point out that the Bills took a risk with Peters and gave him his first chance. But what risk did they really take? They didn't spend a draft pick on him. If they really coveted him why was he cut and placed on the Practice Squad for 3 months, leaving him exposed to other teams? The truth is the Bills had nothing to lose in signing Peters. There is no league-wide interest in Peters at this time so former GM Tom Donahoe must be given credit for signing him but Peters cost the Bills not so much as a draft pick and only as much money as it takes to sign an undrafted free agent.

* November 2004: Peters is promoted to the active roster largely to play tight end and special teams. To make room for Peters, Constantin Ritzmann is placed on injured reserve.

* In 2005: Peters beats out former first rounder Mike Williams to start at right tackle.

* March 2006: Peters is rewarded for his play, signing a five-year, $15 million contract extension. This contract replaces the contract which paid him a total of $461,895 for 2004 and 2005 combined. There are two years remaining on the former contract.

* In 2006: Peters, seven weeks into his new contract is moved to left tackle, replacing Mike Gandy who is moved inside to left guard. After the season Sports Illustrated's Paul Zimmerman debated selecting Peters to his All-Pro team. "I was rooting for the Bills' Jason Peters, whom I would have loved to pick, but he isn't there yet. Very athletic, but not enough of a roughneck." Clearly Peters is playing at or near a Pro Bowl level.

* March 2007: Bills re-sign Chris Kelsay to a 4 year, $23 million contract.

* August 2007: Bills tear up last 3 years of Aaron Schobel's contract and give him 5 year $50 million contract to assure he's the highest paid D lineman on the Bills. Said Schobel "Obviously, I had three years left on my deal so they didn't have to do anything ..."

* March 2007: Bills sign Derrick Dockery to 7 year $49 million contract.

* March 2007: Bills sign Langston Walker to a 5 year $25 million contract to play right tackle.

* January 2008: Jason Peters is selected to the Pro Bowl.

* June 2008: Bills extend Brad Butler with a 3 year $8.8 million contract with 2 years remaining on his contract.

* July 2008: Bills extend Kyle Williams with a 3 year $14.4 million contract with 2 years remaining on his contract.

* July 2008: Bills GM Russ Brandon states that he hasn't spoken with Peters since a late January physical for his sports hernia. He says that he has spoken with Peters' agent Eugene Parker but only with regards to James Hardy contract negotiations. How proactive were the Bills in attempting to dialogue with their best player?

* January 2009: Peters selected to a second Pro Bowl.

In view of this chronology it's easy to see why Peters became disenchanted with the organization. Also bad advice from his agent (not reporting to workouts and OTAs) and Peters' reticence to speak publicly on these issues hurt him in the court of public opinion. Peters went about it the wrong way but I think he was justified in feeling disrespected by the Bills. It probably reached the point where he didn't want to return, thus the trade to Philadelphia. Too bad for both sides. Except for possible repostings and debate as to whether the Bills got good value in return, this is my final word on the Peters debacle.

* August 2004: Peters is cut and re-signed to the Practice Squad. Any team in the league can now sign him. Many Peters haters point out that the Bills took a risk with Peters and gave him his first chance. But what risk did they really take? They didn't spend a draft pick on him. If they really coveted him why was he cut and placed on the Practice Squad for 3 months, leaving him exposed to other teams? The truth is the Bills had nothing to lose in signing Peters. There is no league-wide interest in Peters at this time so former GM Tom Donahoe must be given credit for signing him but Peters cost the Bills not so much as a draft pick and only as much money as it takes to sign an undrafted free agent.

* November 2004: Peters is promoted to the active roster largely to play tight end and special teams. To make room for Peters, Constantin Ritzmann is placed on injured reserve.

* In 2005: Peters beats out former first rounder Mike Williams to start at right tackle.

* March 2006: Peters is rewarded for his play, signing a five-year, $15 million contract extension. This contract replaces the contract which paid him a total of $461,895 for 2004 and 2005 combined. There are two years remaining on the former contract.

* In 2006: Peters, seven weeks into his new contract is moved to left tackle, replacing Mike Gandy who is moved inside to left guard. After the season Sports Illustrated's Paul Zimmerman debated selecting Peters to his All-Pro team. "I was rooting for the Bills' Jason Peters, whom I would have loved to pick, but he isn't there yet. Very athletic, but not enough of a roughneck." Clearly Peters is playing at or near a Pro Bowl level.

* August 2007: Bills tear up last 3 years of Aaron Schobel's contract and give him 5 year $50 million contract to assure he's the highest paid D lineman on the Bills. Said Schobel "Obviously, I had three years left on my deal so they didn't have to do anything ..."

* March 2007: Bills sign Langston Walker to a 5 year $25 million contract to play right tackle.

* June 2008: Bills extend Brad Butler with a 3 year $8.8 million contract with 2 years remaining on his contract.

* July 2008: Bills extend Kyle Williams with a 3 year $14.4 million contract with 2 years remaining on his contract.

* July 2008: Bills GM Russ Brandon states that he hasn't spoken with Peters since a late January physical for his sports hernia. He says that he has spoken with Peters' agent Eugene Parker but only with regards to James Hardy contract negotiations. How proactive were the Bills in attempting to dialogue with their best player?

In view of this chronology it's easy to see why Peters became disenchanted with the organization. Also bad advice from his agent (not reporting to workouts and OTAs) and Peters' reticence to speak publicly on these issues hurt him in the court of public opinion. Peters went about it the wrong way but I think he was justified in feeling disrespected by the Bills. It probably reached the point where he didn't want to return, thus the trade to Philadelphia. Too bad for both sides. Except for possible repostings and debate as to whether the Bills got good value in return, this is my final word on the Peters debacle.

Sad ending to another failing Buffalo story...

Now that Peters is gone, none of the options to replace him are decent. The team had to once again nuke the OL by changing everyone or their positions save Brad Butler. That's continuity right there, and after 2 seasons of rebuilding the OL by the Levy front office, I'm not keen on this attempt at an OL either.

The problem that most fans on this board have is they lack a statistic which can be attached to offensive lineman. And so they cling to the unofficial sack thing to prove their point that Peters is bad, always will be, and wanted too much.

The wish most people had that Buffalo would trade him has come to fruition. And now the OL will be a collection of late round picks, cheap to moderate UFA's, and street free agents. How is this different than what Donahoe did with the OL.

Allen Wilson is just a typical hater who doesn't have any faith in the team. Same with Jerry Sullivan. All these columnist critics of the Bills are jerks and should be fired. The job of a Buffalo based journalist is to put a positive spin on the Bills.

I don't think he's a hater. I'd just like to see more substance, either informed quotes from NFL personnel guys or actual factual documentation of events. I don't need anyone's opinion. If I wanted his opinion I would have given it to him.

Allen Wilson is just a typical hater who doesn't have any faith in the team. Same with Jerry Sullivan. All these columnist critics of the Bills are jerks and should be fired. The job of a Buffalo based journalist is to put a positive spin on the Bills.

you Peters haters are a bunch of morons. when Trent gets his fragile head ripped off, and schoebel and Poz and all those high motor guys lead us to a if we're lucky 5 win season, what excuses will you have than

Notice your timeline never says: "Peters asks for a new deal."

PTR

you Peters haters are a bunch of morons. when Trent gets his fragile head ripped off, and schoebel and Poz and all those high motor guys lead us to a if we're lucky 5 win season, what excuses will you have than

Are you mentally challenged? Have you seen the footage? Peters is waaaaay overhyped and underperformed tremendously last year. He is not a team player and clearly puts his money above his team. He is a cancer and a major reason Trent had issues looking down field. I would hesitate too if my left side would randomly open up out of nowhere.

I think Allen is a buddy of Peters.

I don't think he's a hater. I'd just like to see more substance, either informed quotes from NFL personnel guys or actual factual documentation of events. I don't need anyone's opinion. If I wanted his opinion I would have given it to him.

You mean like he did all of 2008 with Peters blocking for him? Notice how Wilson glosses over the fact that Peters wasn't any good last year or how beligerent he was toward the Bills. Peters "skill" is that everyone says he's elite. His actually stats and performance says otherwise.

PTR

Notice your timeline never says: "Peter asks for a new deal."

PTR

that would be Jan 2008

and Brandon shut him down completely with no new deal to be offered in 2008.

- so he acted accordingly.

His actions don;t make Bills fans happy - but Peters got his new deal when that would not have been possible playing by the Bills rules.

A big bonus for Jason is that he will contend for a ring every year - which certainly is not happening in Buffalo anytime soon.

that would be Jan 2008

and Brandon shut him down completely with no new deal to be offered in 2008.

- so he acted accordingly.

His actions don;t make Bills fans happy - but Peters got his new deal when that would not have been possible playing by the Bills rules.

A big bonus for Jason is that he will contend for a ring every year - which certainly is not happening in Buffalo anytime soon.

Are you a Philly fan or a Buffalo fan? Man up and cheer for your team, or go chase the money with your buddy peters

I have been very fortunate to have coached some outstanding high school athletes Three NYS championships and several conference titles. During my tenure Allen Wilson interviewed me and my athletes several times. I always enjoyed our phone interviews and meetings. He is a great sports writer and person. He is first and foremost an advocate of the athlete. He did a wonderful job of covering our porgram. He was ususally interested in the personal story and road to success. He doesn't need to spin a tale.....he writes a honest story!

Now that Peters is gone, none of the options to replace him are decent. The team had to once again nuke the OL by changing everyone or their positions save Brad Butler. That's continuity right there, and after 2 seasons of rebuilding the OL by the Levy front office, I'm not keen on this attempt at an OL either.

The problem that most fans on this board have is they lack a statistic which can be attached to offensive lineman. And so they cling to the unofficial sack thing to prove their point that Peters is bad, always will be, and wanted too much.

The wish most people had that Buffalo would trade him has come to fruition. And now the OL will be a collection of late round picks, cheap to moderate UFA's, and street free agents. How is this different than what Donahoe did with the OL.

I was about to breeze by your post but the last paragraph was kinda misleading so I couldn't resist a reply.

Walker, Hangartner, Butler are fine players and the other 2 positions will be filled by a top draft choice and either another high draft choice or yes, a FA, but really, pal, I'm thinking that you misrepresented the situation pretty bad.

Wrong again, but thanks anyway.

How transparently sarcastic must I be before it is appreciated? :blush:

Sorry, my bad. I'm so used to reading the anti-News sentiment that it fit right in ...

:devil:

The above moves are all the explanation needed as to why this organization is only slightly above the laughingstock level.