My Thoughts on Russ Brandon

Kenwick

Russ Brandon let Peters go because he did not think Peters was worth 11 to 12 million a year. Russ never made the playoffs either.

The Eagles believe Peters is worth 60 million plus giving the Bills a 1st round pick, a 4th round pick and next years 6th round pick. They know how to make the playoffs..... They stole Peters away from the Bills because of poor decision making by Brandon. Where is Brandon going to get a all pro left tackle in the next three years? He won't. Now that he just signed RB Rhodes I bet he will not offer RB Jackson what he is really worth either. That would be 2 1/2 million a year. Not $460,000 they are offering him. Brandon has Jackson between a rock and a hard place. I doubt Jackson will be offered any more money. I am beginning to see why the Bills players are disgruntled. Brandons real job is moving the Bills to Toronto, not improving the Bills on the field of play. He only needs to fill the stands for the next three years and bye bye Buffalo. His other job is to keep as much money in Mr. Wilsons pocket as he can and staying near the middle of the pack in the NFL as he can. It is called medicrity...... That is what the Bills fans are stuck with..

Russ Brandon let Peters go because he did not think Peters was worth 11 to 12 million a year. Russ never made the playoffs either.

The Eagles believe Peters is worth 60 million plus giving the Bills a 1st round pick, a 4th round pick and next years 6th round pick. They know how to make the playoffs..... They stole Peters away from the Bills because of poor decision making by Brandon. Where is Brandon going to get a all pro left tackle in the next three years? He won't. Now that he just signed RB Rhodes I bet he will not offer RB Jackson what he is really worth either. That would be 2 1/2 million a year. Not $460,000 they are offering him. Brandon has Jackson between a rock and a hard place. I doubt Jackson will be offered any more money. I am beginning to see why the Bills players are disgruntled. Brandons real job is moving the Bills to Toronto, not improving the Bills on the field of play. He only needs to fill the stands for the next three years and bye bye Buffalo. His other job is to keep as much money in Mr. Wilsons pocket as he can and staying near the middle of the pack in the NFL as he can. It is called medicrity...... That is what the Bills fans are stuck with..

......lots of cheese and not much meat on that sandwich!

So in other words you thought it would be best to resign a player that gave up more sacks than the rest of the line (almost 12 for him) was still under contract (which he signed a year prior) showed up out of shape and was going to hold out again if we didnt do what he wanted?

FOCK Him..

I love how he throws in "Russ never made the playoffs either" likes it's a big burn on him. He's only had one try. Not like it's a huge insult.

The Bills have proven that they will pay top dollar for a Pro Bowl caliber player IF the player is willing to play through negotiations and shows a commitment to the team. This was not about not wanting to pay Peters top dollar. He had three years remaining when he held out of all off season workouts last year, played sub par in 2008 and was on track to go the same route in 2009. Brandon had no choice but to make a move and getting three picks was a fair deal. Staying put and letting the train wreck develop would have been bad for this team. Of course, many fans complain no matter what the team does.

These offseason moves have nothing to do with dressing the team up for Toronto. Get over it! They have NEVER spent like the Redskins or Cowboys, but then again neither have the Steelers or Patriots and this hasnt stopped them from winning Superbowls. Brandon is doing a fine job and I don't think he is done yet. He has Kelsey and Parrish on the block, he actively working to improve the team. I expect a draft that brings threee starters ( DE, LB, OT ) and a trade for a TE. We are a young team ready to explode in 2010.

On the move to Toronto. The best thing that can happen to this franchise is a long term deal for 2 games in Toronto and a new ownerhsip that is committed to both cities. Buffalo can not support a team by itself. There is a mega market city only a short drive down the road, it just makes sense. I will be looking to go to a Tornonto game soon, just to scope out the new digs and start to get comfortable with the situation. Its reality folks!

Well, I think that Brandon was completely schooled by Parker, Peters' agent.

I remember after the holdout ended that there were a number of people who thought the Bills, by being tough with Peters (i.e., not renegotiating his contract), had won the upper hand. In hindsight, that is not the case, and ning months later, Parker got Peters a huge new contract with a playoff caliber team (not bad for a player that was under contract for two more years with his former team plus the possibility of using the franchise tag thereafter).

It was almost 15 years since the Bills last had a good left tackle before Peters. Why does anyone think that this front office, led by Brandon, will find one this year?

The Bills have proven that they will pay top dollar for a Pro Bowl caliber player IF the player is willing to play through negotiations and shows a commitment to the team. This was not about not wanting to pay Peters top dollar. He had three years remaining when he held out of all off season workouts last year, played sub par in 2008 and was on track to go the same route in 2009. Brandon had no choice but to make a move and getting three picks was a fair deal. Staying put and letting the train wreck develop would have been bad for this team. Of course, many fans complain no matter what the team does.

I concur 100%. I'm sure the Bills would have signed him long term as well if there was that commitment from Peters. Look how they handled Schobel, McGee, Evans, and Stroud.

Is that how the Bills extended the contracts for McGee, Schoebel, Evans, Parrish, Butler in the last few years...If the Bills find talent who works with the team, they will find a way to get the deal done. The Bills have been fair to the folks who have been loyal to the team.

These moves would make perfect sense if they were getting ready for next year- Dump dockery, Peters, Kelsay, Parrish, TO has a one year contract dump Schobel- If the Bills work things right they may be 40+mil under the cap next year, very attractive to a new owner - I'd watch to see if anymore picks are for next year.

Is that how the Bills extended the contracts for McGee, Schoebel, Evans, Parrish, Butler in the last few years...If the Bills find talent who works with the team, they will find a way to get the deal done. The Bills have been fair to the folks who have been loyal to the team.

Shows you just how smart the front office is, the only one on the list that should have been extended was Lee Evans.

These offseason moves have nothing to do with dressing the team up for Toronto. Get over it! They have NEVER spent like the Redskins or Cowboys, but then again neither have the Steelers or Patriots and this hasnt stopped them from winning Superbowls. Brandon is doing a fine job and I don't think he is done yet. He has Kelsey and Parrish on the block, he actively working to improve the team. I expect a draft that brings threee starters ( DE, LB, OT ) and a trade for a TE. We are a young team ready to explode in 2010.

On the move to Toronto. The best thing that can happen to this franchise is a long term deal for 2 games in Toronto and a new ownerhsip that is committed to both cities. Buffalo can not support a team by itself. There is a mega market city only a short drive down the road, it just makes sense. I will be looking to go to a Tornonto game soon, just to scope out the new digs and start to get comfortable with the situation. Its reality folks!

Great post. I agree with you wholeheartedly. Also I'm not so sure Brandon has that much to do with contracts. I think that is Overdorf's job. With that being said, I still think the team should have offered to re do a deal for JP after they promoted him to LT. When you get a promotion a raise should accompany it, contract or no contract.