"Buffalo Ownership" & Toronto...

VJ91

Phil Lind of Rogers Communications has decided it's time to start getting serious about more regular season Bills games just one year into the current deal....

"It's hard to say when and where it will happen, but over time we hope there'll be more games here and Buffalo (ownership) hopes there'll be more games here," Lind said.

...Buffalo ownership hopes they'll be more games in Toronto...4 months before Ralph is inducted to the HOF?? Now there's a nice kick in the gut to Bills' fans that don't live in Ontario, huh?

Ralph Wilson could have gone in an entirely different direction with the Bills. He could have already sold the team to Jim Kelly's group, paying the dreaded taxes and still ending up with at least what, 200 or 300 million dollars in pure after-tax profits, since he has no "mortgage to pay off" on his Buffalo Bills investment.

Imagine the reception he would have gotten in Canton this August had he taken that path. Tens of thousands of Bills fans honoring the man who not only had kept the team in Buffalo himself almost 50 years, but who also sold the team to the one group dedicated to keeping the team in Buffalo.

Instead, let's take a look at Ralph Wilson as is. Over 90 years old, still whining about Buffalo's small market, to the point he has taken home games out of his own stadium 90 miles into Canada to "compete" with the other teams. At the same time, he and his marketing guru have already made quiet agreements that even more then one regular season game a year may be leaving Orchard Park down the line.

And finally, as he makes his induction speach this August, we BUFFALO Bills fans will know that the minute this guy passes away, our Bills will be sold to the highest bidder, regardless of their plans of what they will do with the franchise. And why has he taken this path? Pure greed. Greed to earn more money now, and greed for his heirs to earn more money after he dies. Money that he won't get any use of when he dies, and I am convinced he absolutely doesn't need now during his last years on this earth.

Business people reading this can flame away at me. I have always believed owning a sports franchise goes beyond just the business of making every last buck they can. At some point, the franchise owners that have won championships or that have really cared about their fans, have decided that money was not the most important aspect of owning their teams.

Shame on you Ralph, for making this deal with Toronto instead of just selling the team to a group that seems to just want to keep the team here in Buffalo.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not think that there is any group that could buy the Bills for what it will cost and keep it in Buffalo. I think Jim Kelly is just wishful thinking. If playing more games in Toronto keeps the Bills in WNY then I am for it, otherwise it's gone.

Some group could be dedicated to keeping the Bills in Buffalo but in the long run they could not survive and compete>

I do not think that there is any group that could buy the Bills for what it will cost and keep it in Buffalo. I think Jim Kelly is just wishful thinking. If playing more games in Toronto keeps the Bills in WNY then I am for it, otherwise it's gone.

Some group could be dedicated to keeping the Bills in Buffalo but in the long run they could not survive and compete>

Sadly I agree. How well did Jimbo do with that downtown bar of his?

If TO catches 15 touchdowns, Marshawn rushes for 1,500 yards, Dante has 8 INT's, and the Bills go 13-3 while moving their home games to Toronto, everyone will still be going nuts with Bills fever.

Most Bills fans realize that Toronto has more money and a bigger population, and are reconciled that it makes sense for Mr. Wilson to allow the team to migrate north. He's paid his dues keeping the team in Buffalo despite all of his lucrative offers to relocate, so we now should get behind him when he looks to finally make some money. Toronto is still close to Buffalo, so he should be applauded for keeping the Bills within driving distance instead of shipping them off to LA. Some posters here should show more loyalty to Ralph, and lose the immature, selfish "Buffalo first" mentality.

If TO catches 15 touchdowns, Marshawn rushes for 1,500 yards, Dante has 8 INT's, and the Bills go 13-3 while moving their home games to Toronto, everyone will still be going nuts with Bills fever.

Most Bills fans realize that Toronto has more money and a bigger population, and are reconciled that it makes sense for Mr. Wilson to allow the team to migrate north. He's paid his dues keeping the team in Buffalo despite all of his lucrative offers to relocate, so we now should get behind him when he looks to finally make some money. Toronto is still close to Buffalo, so he should be applauded for keeping the Bills within driving distance instead of shipping them off to LA. Some posters here should show more loyalty to Ralph, and lose the immature, selfish "Buffalo first" mentality.

I am glad that you are such a giving person. If some better looking dude with more money wants your wife, I hope you have no problem with her migrating to him as well.

He should just move the team to Niagara Falls. Buffalo and Toronto fans alike will have an easy time getting there. Plus, you can gamble after the game.

Sadly I agree. How well did Jimbo do with that downtown bar of his?

I don't understand how you can write Kelly off so easily. That downtown bar of his?? What does that prove? Certainly you have to agree that Kelly is far different person now then when his bar went under and he stiffed paying some of his vendors. I am not saying Jim Kelly is perfect, he never has been!

However, people can change. The man has lived through the horror of watching his only son die from a terrible disease at 8 years old, and has come out of that dreadful experience committed to helping all new borns in the country through his wildly successful Hunters Hope Foundation. And it is not only to find a cure for the exact disease that killed Hunter. He has expanded his efforts into mandatory testing for many more diseases for every baby born in the country today, then most states currently test for.

So it seems that Jim Kelly has grown up, more painfully then most of us are forced to grow up I might add. And a man this serious in life would not go around saying he has partners ready right now to buy the team from Ralph, as soon as Ralph might be ready to talk, if that were not true. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

He goes from state to state speaking to politicians and anyone else that will listen about demanding more disease testing for new born babies. Of course he talks football and his passion for the Buffalo Bills while he's doing it. Do you really think he would be out there on radio shows across the country lying to everyone about having an ownership ready to do business if it were not true? What would he have to gain by stupidly bragging about something like that?

This is not Pete Rose charging fans $200.00 for autographed baseballs at sleazy memorabilia shows and lying about never betting on baseball we are talking about here. Kelly is out there on serious business for Hunters Hope.

So I refuse to accept this b.s. about Kelly not really having an ownership group together. I believe he has, and has tried to get them to talk to Wilson about it, and Ralph has decided not to do it.

Excellent post, and I would agree 100% if not for the main point of my thread! Jim Kelly and his partners are out here telling Wilson to give them a chance to take over the franchise and let them figure out how to keep the team viable in Buffalo!

Either you are like other fans out here and simply think Jimbo is lying, or you really think Wilson deserves to maximize his profits for his family after he's dead. :thumbsup:

Rather than your whining about Ralph Wilson, you should instead be venting your anger towards the government in New York State, whose bloated government and high taxes have driven out people and companies and made upstate New York a wasteland.

My "whining" about Ralph Wilson not allowing an ownership group buy the team that wants to keep the team in Buffalo, and keep the name BUFFALO Bills. You call that whining as a true Buffalo Bills fan? To me, it sounds more like a reasonable complaint, but what do I know right?

Maybe Tom Golisano should move the Sabres up to Hamilton for 20 home games himself this coming season. Just look at all the profits he could earn, and then I can call up my local New York state politicians and blame them for him doing that too.

And oh by the way, venting my anger at New York State government would be much more "productive" right? How's that new Peace Bridge coming along? And how is Erie County doing paying their vendors these days? Yeah, that's the ticket, I'll vent at New York State.

Wilson deserves to maximize his profits for his family after he's dead. :thumbsup:

Indeed he does. He sacrificed unimaginable wealth to allow a tiny, impoverished city that barely deserves Arena Football to enjoy the NFL. Now we should all return the favor and offer him a warm thank you as he does what's necessary to make sure his family is taken care of after he passes away. It's Ralph's team, not Buffalo, that fans need to cheer for on Sundays. Ralph who the uniform represents, not Buffalo.

I root for the Buffalo part of Buffalo Bills. I associate with them not for the fact that i like football and they happen to be a football team that plays in my hometown, but because they are from my hometown. When the Buffalo sign is gone off the franchise, i am gone too.

Selfish buffalo first mentality? You've lost your mind. Let your neighbor bang your wife for 3-4 nights a week. She'll still be within walking distance to you for you to have dinner with and if you want someone to talk to, so she should be applauded.

Are you serious with your statement "If playing more games in Toronto keeps the Bills in WNY then I am for it" You do understand that each game we lose is another game not PLAYED in WNY. NOt Played in RALPH WILSON STADIUM, NOT PLAYED WITH HOMEFIELD ADVANTAGE and is one step closer to being out of WNY. We will be known as the HYBRID team TORONTO/Buffalo Bills Fans.

Im sorry but this pisses me off If we lose any more regular season games to Toronto I am done becuase I am not a Canadian I am an American who loves to watch our blue collar AMERICAN team the Buffalo Bills play in the elemnts of ORCHARD PARK, NY not in a dome statium in CANADA!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup::wallbash::P

Are you serious with your statement "If playing more games in Toronto keeps the Bills in WNY then I am for it" You do understand that each game we lose is another game not PLAYED in WNY. NOt Played in RALPH WILSON STADIUM, NOT PLAYED WITH HOMEFIELD ADVANTAGE and is one step closer to being out of WNY. We will be known as the HYBRID team TORONTO/Buffalo Bills Fans.

Im sorry but this pisses me off If we lose any more regular season games to Toronto I am done becuase I am not a Canadian I am an American who loves to watch our blue collar AMERICAN team the Buffalo Bills play in the elemnts of ORCHARD PARK, NY not in a dome statium in CANADA!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup::wallbash::P

;):thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

You could not be further from the truth on this one...I mean you are WAAAAAAAAY off thinking this is the case. This team moves out of Buffalo and nobody and I mean NOBODY (besides you) would feel this way.