Donte Whitner's facebook status

This is the direct quote.

THANX 4 THE LOVE EVERYONE, FOR EVERYONE THAT KNOWS ME KNOWS WHAT TYPE OF PERSON I AM AND THATS ALL I CAN SAY....ITS CRAZY THAT RACISM AND PREJUDICE JUDGEMENTS STILL EXSIST..... I WOULDNT SAY SKIN COLOR BUTNOWADAYS ITS MORE SO THE TYPE OF CARS U DRIVE AND THE AMOUNT IN YOURE BACK ACCOUNT.....BILLS SUPERBOWL 2010....GOD BLESS!!!!

Some 50 people who responded. One critical.

Get off the guy. Product of being in the wrong place at a wrong time. The area was near riot status and the cops as usual overreacted. And the fact that you are criticizing his spelling and vocabulary is ridiculous. Its freaking facebook. 80% of people use a shorthand. Donte is well spoken and a hard working player. I understand hes going to be looked down on by most of you morons because he was drafted 8th, but that wasn't his decision. Bunch of idiots posted on his facebook page and a bunch of idiots are responding on this thread.

Get off the guy. Product of being in the wrong place at a wrong time. The area was near riot status and the cops as usual overreacted. And the fact that you are criticizing his spelling and vocabulary is ridiculous. Its freaking facebook. 80% of people use a shorthand. Donte is well spoken and a hard working player. I understand hes going to be looked down on by most of you morons because he was drafted 8th, but that wasn't his decision. Bunch of idiots posted on his facebook page and a bunch of idiots are responding on this thread.

Hello Donte

Most of the people that posted on his facebook page had positive messages from what I saw.

"Cops as usual overreacted" to the "near riot" = awesome.

Guess they should have been offering hugs to people? And in Donte's case, they must have known his bank account was big and that he drove a Mercedes when they tazed him?

Stop making excuses. The event itself is not that big of a deal. Him playing the victim card is embarrassing. If you truly want to stay out of trouble, you can 99% of the time avoid it completely (don't go to certain places. Leave as things get heated. Walk away and don't escalate.) He didn't and thus got into a scrape. Now somehow, he's not to blame for anything. Please.

Agreed. I will only add that it would appear as if he was drunk when he typed that drivel.

Guess they should have been offering hugs to people? And in Donte's case, they must have known his bank account was big and that he drove a Mercedes when they tazed him?

Stop making excuses. The event itself is not that big of a deal. Him playing the victim card is embarrassing. If you truly want to stay out of trouble, you can 99% of the time avoid it completely (don't go to certain places. Leave as things get heated. Walk away and don't escalate.) He didn't and thus got into a scrape. Now somehow, he's not to blame for anything. Please.

The guy messed up. Why do some fans need to bend over backwards and spin the event? Being in the wrong place at the wrong time suggests he didn't have the opportunity to avoid the whole thing. Whether or not the cops over reacted is a mute point since we don't know all the information. What we do know is Donte was part of the problem that night. I find it extremely hard to believe that the cops busted into the club and identified Donte as a successful, rich, black male, who drives a nice car, and promptly tazered him. Beyond pathetic.

Part of being a man is owning up to your mistakes. Our defensive leader has shown he is not man enough to accept responsibility. This is a growing theme on the team and a growing theme with our younger generations. Players who struggle to take responsibility in life, are going to struggle with responsibility on the field. I can't help but wonder if this attitude has something to do with why this team can't put it together. The talent is there, IMO. I can't put it all on the coach either. At this point in life, these players should have an idea of how to conduct themselves. Being a head coach is tough enough, without having to mold these adult men. Seriously, by your twenties you are already a man. If you screw up, stand up and take the heat.

Agreed. I will only add that it would appear as if he was drunk when he typed that drivel.

In his defense, most of his postings are about that articulate so he may have been sober. My favorite is his defense of Lynch after his incident:

Donte Whitner Is saying watch the way yall talk about my teammate!!! (#23) now its one thing to talk about me but watch the way u talk about my guys thanx!!!

Amen

IMO. I can't put it all on the coach either. At this point in life, these players should have an idea of how to conduct themselves. Being a head coach is tough enough, without having to mold these adult men. Seriously, by your twenties you are already a man. If you screw up, stand up and take the heat.

I won't put it "all" on the coach, but I think that Jauron's laid back attitude does contribute to the spike in off field incidents. His mister nice guy approach might actully work with some players and maybe even motivate them. I don't know; perhaps Trent Edwards is a guy who would respond well to this. He seems to really like Jauron. But, human nature being what it is, others will take advantage.

In these times, the disciplinarian stance is probably much harder to invoke these days. That said, I do wonder in terms of numbers how many off field incidents coaches such as Schottenheimer and Parcells were subject to. I know that Jumbo Elliot was always a problem, but do you see where I am going?

I am guessing that Jauron himself would take some responsibility. What do you think?

The latest off field incidents that have been occurring with the Bills is not so much a reflection of what our team represents, but more of a reflection of the overall society. What I mean is that if you look at just about every team in just about every sport, or even people in our society, it is just in the numbers that people will get arrested for a whole array of different reasons.

Character issues was really never a "problem" with this team, we were considered by many a team of high character players, and Donte was amongst one of them. Anyone who is rational knows that Donte is a well spoken, student of the game. Does that excuse him completely from his latest incident? No, absolutely not. Should he own up to it? Yes, and in my view, by making excuses, and playing the race card, he is not allowing himself to not move forward quicker than what he could.

Before this year, we were most likely one of the teams with the fewest incidents, now with this year's issues we are probably now somewhere in the middle of the pack and now the numbers have caught up to us. I think that people are more outraged with our team and their off field actions because, one, we have played very mediocre football for a while now, and two, we prided ourselves on drafting high character players and now that seems to have been tainted this offseason.

At the end of the day, Marshawn and Donte both seem like very good, likable, hardworking and passionate football players, and I don't consider either one of the two thugs.