Who's your 2009 "Whitner Pick" at #11

Kingfish

You mean second round talent they'd pick that high in the first round? The only player that I could see as possibly ever happening with would be Clay Matthews. But who knows with the "let's get cute and trick everybody" Bills.

If you think Donte Whitner was rated a second round talent in that draft you're insane or as someone else said, clueless. Michael Huff was taken one pick ahead of Whitner and Whitner is the better S. I think the move to FS will make Whitner a lot more effective :wallbash:

Here's what our resident expert thinks about Whitner.

I like Donte Whitner. The thing about safeties, however, is that no other position's naked-eye performance is as dependent on the overall strength of a team's defense. Put Ed Reed on the Bills defense, and he'll look average.

'Nuff said.

There's not a day that goes by that I don't tick you off, is there. :lol:

Don't you find it strange that given his bloodlines that he's continually ranked in the high twenties of top prospects? If he was truly first round talent I've got to believe he'd be ranked at least in the top 20 players given who his pop and uncle were in the NFL. It's just an opinion, and I've certainly got nothing against the Bills grabbing Matthews in the second. At #11? Hells no.

He's not a horse for cryin out loud. B-)

And with the 11th pick in the draft the Buffalo Bills select............................SKOOBY's BMW :blink: Ralph always wanted one. <_<

I doubt that. The BMW wants too much money. :beer:

Buffalo's 1st round (or #1) picks in the last 10 drafts:

1999 - Antoine Winfield/CB

2000 - Erik Flowers/DE

2001 - Nate Clements/CB

2002 - Mike Williams/OT

2003 - Willis McGahee/RB

2004 - Lee Evans/WR

2004 - JP Losman/QB

2005 - Roscoe Parrish/WR (2nd round)

2006 - Donte Whitner/S

2006 - John McCargo/DT

2007 - Marshawn Lynch/RB

2008 - Leodis McKelvin/CB

I understand it's fashionable to say what you said, but it's just not true.

I don't think that's a bad track record at all.

From my recollection, Whitner was regarded late first/early second round till his stock quickly rose to the middle of rd 1 leading up to draft day. In hindsight, the guy was a second round talent that was clearly a reach at #8. I never said he was going to be drafted in the second round if the Bills didn't take him.

Then why should they let him go if they have him as the best player for them before their next pick?

2nd round talent is about right.

Then Marv followed that with an encore... drafting McCargo (another second round talent) in the first round.

Then, Marv took Ko Simpson in the 4th -- who everyone thought was a steal. Only thing he stole was a roster spot!

Simpson had a great first year. You can't grade a guy based on an injury yet. I think he comes back strong this year. :thumbsup:

You mean second round talent they'd pick that high in the first round? The only player that I could see as possibly ever happening with would be Clay Matthews. But who knows with the "let's get cute and trick everybody" Bills.

I thought the "getting cute" ended with Donahoe. Unfortunately Marv and Dick tricked everyone but Mike Mayock with their stunning moves in Round 1 of 2006.

Based on their track record of taking the safe pick in the first round, I could see Buffalo going with Robert Ayers. He's more of an overall DE, not a pass rusher, not just a 3-4 end. I wouldn't like it, but it is likely with this front office. He's a LDE in a 4-3 with average pass rush ability-should fit in quite well with Kelsay and Denney.

I think he meant someone who will also be a long-term starter on the Bills' roster, and a weekly contributor who does whatever is asked of him.

A pick that would have my jaw hit the floor like it did in 2006 when we took Whitner instead of Bunkley or Ngata which were players that fit the GREATEST need, I'd say that I have 3 in mind. Chris Wells RB from Ohio St., Vontae Davis CB from Illinois, and QB either Sanchez or Freeman.

I'd be very surprised if the Bills took a QB in Rd1, not because I think Trent is any more than a backup. I just think the Front office will let the new HC pick his QB next year when we are picking in the top 5.