Best seat for a young fan attending his first game?

PIZ

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A chair in front of the television.

Ba da boom!

Seriously, I think Bill has the right approach. Somewhere high enough (but not too high) and as centered as you can get. Between the 20's is probably fine, and even the 10-15 yard line is better than anywhere in an endzone for a younger fan. That way, they can see the entire game, and actually follow all of the action, on all of the plays (something that's tough even for experienced fans from an end zone seat).

depends on if money is a problem.... I was raised on upper deck seats around the 40 yrd line.... but if I was bringing a 9 year old I would go for the highest rows of 132-135, you will have a great view, most of the people are behaved (it's where Bills employees get their free season tix) and you are down in the bowl which adds to the electricity.

Just bringing him to the game is a great gift, some of my best memories as a kid are of my dad and I going to Orchard park for 8 sundays a year... make sure to cook out too!

If money isn't an issue, club seats are the safest bet for someone that young.

I have sat almost everywhere in the stadium. For a 1st game, club seats are the best.

1) much 'better' crowd

2) ability to go indoors if it gets to hot/cold

3) easier to get snacks/drinks and not miss the game (I do not know about your son, but in my experience kids will need to use the bathroom at least twice and want to eat/drink the entire game.)

The #1 thing you should know - STAY AWAY FROM THE FAMILY SECTION

Despite its name, that is not a place to bring young children.

I took my daughter to the Jax/Bills playoff game. (Kelly's last) It was her first game ever and she was 8. We sat in the low tunnel end zone. The drunk fans screaming obscenities scared the living crap out of her. Keep that in mind if you bring a young child to RWS. We're pretty immune to that kind of crap but it might be overwhelming for a youngster.

PTR

Definitely stay away from the end zones, and also pick your opponent carefully - Raiders games are a real no-no (not that they're coming this this year anyway), and heated rivalries can bring more trash talking and language. Closer teams (like Cleveland) can also result in more opposing fans in the stands, which always leads to less family-friendly atmosphere, shall we say.

Higher seats are also good, but if you can swing it financially, and your son knows his football, getting as close to the field (on the sidelines, away from the end zones/corners), does make it special. I took my son to his first game when he was 9, and splurged on some front row seats at about the 15 yard line on the Bills side. He loved watching all the sideline stuff that you don't see on TV - Losman checking all the game balls to find one he liked best, etc. - and we had a nice view of the goal line for a few touchdowns.

Enjoy - definitely a cool father-son outing!

2 options IMHO:

- Seats in sections dominated by season ticket holders - less chance of rowdiness/nastiness

- Family section

#1 yes

#2 - Maybe I have bad luck. Whenever I sit in the Family section it is because that was the only section left with enough seats to accomidate my group. Whenever I am in the Family Section, there is a group of 5-10 guys (I asume that they were last minute purchasers too) out of thier minds dunk. I've seen fights and drugs in the Family section. I have had beer spilled on me in hte family section.

The only difference I have seen between the family section and the other sections is that in the family section it is easier to get a security guard to deal with a problem.

Long story short - In the Family section there are just as many fights, but security breaks them up quicker.

#1 yes

#2 - Maybe I have bad luck. Whenever I sit in the Family section it is because that was the only section left with enough seats to accomidate my group. Whenever I am in the Family Section, there is a group of 5-10 guys (I asume that they were last minute purchasers too) out of thier minds dunk. I've seen fights and drugs in the Family section. I have had beer spilled on me in hte family section. The only difference I have seen between the family section and the other sections is that in the family section it is easier to get a security guard to deal with a problem.

Long story short - In the Family section there are just as many fights, but security breaks them up quicker.

I thought you weren't allowed alcohol in the family section?

I thought you weren't allowed alcohol in the family section?

You are not, but they do not check your ticket stub when you go out to buy beer.

There are no ushers preventing you from brinning a beer into the family section.

I agree w/ bourbonboy's assesment. I think the club seats are best for kids. But, if you follow his advice, you will be able to get out of the game without making you son hate NFL football.

parking lot to soak up atmosphere (bring football).

grill a hot dog (fill him up before you go in)

field house (all cool things for kids).

club seats (more behaved) or lower bowl between the 20's (row 10 or higher).

visitors side (sun).

administration end (more scoring with wind).

go in Sep or Oct (nice weather)

pick a team we can beat (lol) a win is crucial.

NO night games, endzones, indoor theater seats, cold weather games.

I have sat almost everywhere in the stadium. For a 1st game, club seats are the best.

1) much 'better' crowd

2) ability to go indoors if it gets to hot/cold

3) easier to get snacks/drinks and not miss the game (I do not know about your son, but in my experience kids will need to use the bathroom at least twice and want to eat/drink the entire game.)

The #1 thing you should know - STAY AWAY FROM THE FAMILY SECTION

Despite its name, that is not a place to bring young children.

Why do you say that? Never sat there, just curious.

On another kinda runoff from this topic, what age do you think it is appropriate to take your son to the game. My son just turned 5. I did not get him tickets this year & probably will not get him tickets next year but I am kinda on the fence about. I got season tickets for us to the UB games last year & he absolutely loved. I have taken him to several preseason & he really enjoys that too. I know once I get tickets for him I am going to have to tone down the tailgate. I go with 5 guys now, not that we get that crazy anymore(no compared to when I was in my 20's) but we do get there around 8:30.

I took my daughter to the Jax/Bills playoff game. (Kelly's last) It was her first game ever and she was 8. We sat in the low tunnel end zone. The drunk fans screaming obscenities scared the living crap out of her. Keep that in mind if you bring a young child to RWS. We're pretty immune to that kind of crap but it might be overwhelming for a youngster.

PTR

I was at that game in the tunnel endzone. Me & my friends were all in college at the time. We were the crazy bastards that kept banging on the metal bleachers & swearing at Brunnel. If we were the ones that scared your daughter, my sincere apologies 12 years later.

parking lot to soak up atmosphere (bring football).

grill a hot dog (fill him up before you go in)

field house (all cool things for kids).

club seats (more behaved) or lower bowl between the 20's (row 10 or higher).

visitors side (sun).

administration end (more scoring with wind).

go in Sep or Oct (nice weather)

pick a team we can beat (lol) a win is crucial.

NO night games, endzones, indoor theater seats, cold weather games.

Nah, kids should probably be introduced to the harsh reality of failure as quickly as possible.