This organization is becoming a real embarassment

Players have been acting this way and getting in trouble since the league started.

The only differences are salaries are higher, and the media microscope is more focused than ever before.

Agreed.

If I was an NFL player pulling in 7-8 figures I would have a gated property and have the party at my house every night.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

guess there's no accounting for taste or shame. but then, you did insert the funny face, so i guess that makes it right to make fun of hit-and-run accidents and attempting to get away with them. wow.

jw

John Wawrow getting in on the fun :flirt:

In all honestly, we are not close to the Bengals or the Cowboys or the Dolphins. Every team has players who have run ins with the law...hell, everyone's "model franchise", the Pats, have had three or four run ins with the law in about the past year. And honestly, Buffalo's transgressions have not been that bad considering. No wife beating, only one DUI, it could be worse but in a smaller white collar town like Buffalo these things like to stick out more. Being in Boston I can tell you that no one batted an eyelash when Kevin Faulk was busted smoking weed...and even less people cared when one of their late round rookies was busted with a DUI. I'm not saying it's not a big deal but Buffalo seems to get more attention for it for some reason.

Agreed.

If I was an NFL player pulling in 7-8 figures I would have a gated property and have the party at my house every night.

I agree! If anyone thinks the Superbowl era Bills didn't party they are missing the boat. But they partied in Jim Kelly's basement and other players houses and not in strip clubs or bars where everyone knew who they were and made them a target. It is just common sense that would help these current players avoid 99% of the problems they are having, but apparently common sense is something they seriously lack.

John Wawrow getting in on the fun :flirt:

In all honestly, we are not close to the Bengals or the Cowboys or the Dolphins. Every team has players who have run ins with the law...hell, everyone's "model franchise", the Pats, have had three or four run ins with the law in about the past year. And honestly, Buffalo's transgressions have not been that bad considering. No wife beating, only one DUI, it could be worse but in a smaller white collar town like Buffalo these things like to stick out more. Being in Boston I can tell you that no one batted an eyelash when Kevin Faulk was busted smoking weed...and even less people cared when one of their late round rookies was busted with a DUI. I'm not saying it's not a big deal but Buffalo seems to get more attention for it for some reason.

I think you are way off in your opinions. Who have the Dolphins had that has gotten in trouble lately? or for the last few years? And we do compare to these other teams. Since when is "only one DUI" a good thing? Apparently you haven't had a drunken driver affect anyone you know. And I don't think we get more attention because we are Buffalo, if anything we get less, because the majority of the country's fans, don't care about us. The media and fans have crucified the Bengals over the last few years, so you can't say we get more attention than they do.

I realize you are reacting to a previous poster but how is what Lynch did off the field the organization's fault? What would you like them to do because if you have a solution I'm sure every team in league wants to hear it.

I never said it was the organization's fault, the previous poster said he doesn't care or it doesn't matter what players do off the field. I was pointing out that Lynch's off the field acts are affecting what goes on on the field. Although if you want to point blame on the team, they did draft him when he already had a checkered history while he was in college, actually at the time it was maybe the one surprising pick for me during the Levy GM tenure because of his history and Marv's attitude towards character.

I think you are way off in your opinions. Who have the Dolphins had that has gotten in trouble lately? or for the last few years? And we do compare to these other teams. Since when is "only one DUI" a good thing? Apparently you haven't had a drunken driver affect anyone you know. And I don't think we get more attention because we are Buffalo, if anything we get less, because the majority of the country's fans, don't care about us. The media and fans have crucified the Bengals over the last few years, so you can't say we get more attention than they do.

Only one DUI is not many compared to other NFL franchises...go look it up. And we have been getting more attention, Whitner's arrest was on the front page of ESPN.com, guys like that on other teams wouldn't be on there.

Simply put if you want to criticize the team on an isolated basis, be my guest, they deserve it, but all this talk about how bad we are and we are the worst team in the league and have so many thugs, etc. is bs. I live in Boston and they aren't any better here. It's the culture these guys grow up in and it's not just players drafted by the Bills. I understand that people need to get on their high horse but to be honest the constant over-exaggeration is getting old.

And again so you don't need to repeat something stupid like "you haven't had a drunken driver affect anyone you know" I am not saying the incidents are not bad, they are very bad and should be equally criticized. But the attitude that it isn't as bad when someone in another uniform does it, or because you don't hear as much about it, is just plain silly to me and this post in particular is representative of that attitude.

thanks, o.j.

jw

Thanks for being the voice of reason here John. Character matters, and it's what the Bills have been preaching since 06. Now, when things are crazy, it's not important to some people.

I never thought I'd say it, but I can't wait for this offseason to end. It's Bills overload.

Thanks for being the voice of reason here John. Character matters

Yes it does. And it's a never-ending battle to remind people what Marv and Bill mean by "football character."

"Bills Coach Marv Levy, who is also the team's vice president of football operations, owns a strong voice in his team's selections and looks for players who have "football mentality." In other words, Levy gathers players who love to practice and who love to work overtime."

No mention of 'choir boys only' in Marv's philosophy.

I thought Levy drafted high character players. 2 of his 3 picks have been arrested and the other is a bust.

I'd like to see how this plays out first. Thing is, the Bills are in the news for all the wrong reasons lately and I almost wish there wasn't as much coverage of the NFL. Mike Ditka had a DWI before the SB in 86 and no one knew about it. That would be all over the news 5 minutes after he was pulled over nowadays.

If you have ever read or heard what Levy has said, it is football character that he drafts for.

They all could be called OJ as long as it gets that RING at the end of the year . :wacko::wacko:

too bad our clan of thugs has no gamebreaking talent to get that ring

covering up for crappy players when they commit crimes is just not worth the effort

bills fans need to demand a better quality of criminal

It's not enough to know the game and proceed to embarrass the franchise off the field. We can argue about what type of character Levy demanded, but I doubt he wanted guys who could play the game and were loose cannons off the field.

Character isn't limited to just on the field.

Do you want to know why you hear about more NFL players getting into trouble than NBA players? Because there are about 400 NBA players and about 1,600 NFL players.

um, no playoffs in 10 years and free agents leaving like crazy, hey we have guys under contract who can't wait to get out... i'd say this organization has been an embarrassment for many years already...

Guest dog14787
I never said it was the organization's fault, the previous poster said he doesn't care or it doesn't matter what players do off the field. I was pointing out that Lynch's off the field acts are affecting what goes on on the field. Although if you want to point blame on the team, they did draft him when he already had a checkered history while he was in college, actually at the time it was maybe the one surprising pick for me during the Levy GM tenure because of his history and Marv's attitude towards character.

I understand, but if you read his whole post, to just say he doesn't care what the players do off the field seems out of context because I believe he was saying when the organization drafts players, we are drafting them for what they are capable of on the field not what they are going to do off the field.

Its just my opinion, but I can see why you would question his comment.

Guest dog14787
It's not enough to know the game and proceed to embarrass the franchise off the field. We can argue about what type of character Levy demanded, but I doubt he wanted guys who could play the game and were loose cannons off the field.

Character isn't limited to just on the field.

I'll ask you then because you are one of my favorite posters and I value your opinion. Levy went to extremes to draft high character players, what would you suggest the organization does to remedy the problem of players breaking the law?

Would you blame this on the Organization?

I'll ask you then because you are one of my favorite posters and I value your opinion. Levy went to extremes to draft high character players, what would you suggest the organization does to remedy the problem of players breaking the law?

Would you blame this on the Organization?

start with not drafting thugs -

what do expect from players with rap sheets in college???

Guest dog14787
start with not drafting thugs -

what do expect from players with rap sheets in college???

I'm not familiar with all of our players previous rap sheets in college, but I'm assuming you have someone in mind and probably only one player, care to elaborate?

Also, when Bills players are compared to other teams, I'll bet the number of players with previous rap sheets in college are about the same as any other team or maybe even lower than most.

Between Whitner's arrest, Marshawn's troubles, James Hardy turning a gun on his own father for crying out loud, and signing a guy like Owens (nothing like the other 3 but just a 3 ring circus of media attention he brings) ....it really is getting bad around here.

The things that we made fun of Miami and Cincy for over the years....we are now one of those teams.

And oh, NFL fans that act holier then thou about this sport, you have WELL surpassed the NBA, a league that a lot of you shun upon because of 'thugs' as the league with the worst thugs, and it is not even CLOSE.

You don't know the meaning of embarassment. You focus on one franchise and think it's the worst team in the NFL. If you actually paid attention to the otehr 31 NFL teams you'd see that this sort of stuff happens on every team. So please save your indignation. Your posts already show me that you don't have much to offer this board.

PTR