I don't like Jauron's approach to the Peters situation

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know he's not required to be there, and he's certainly not the only NFL player skipping the voluntary OTAs, but seeing as how Peters is coming off an injury (again) and is asking for a whole boatload o' money (again) with two years remaining on his current deal that was also renegotiated early into its term, you'd think he'd be in the weight room working his butt off, attending every single OTA, and just in general trying to become the best football player he can possibly be.

Instead, he's home eating barbeque and twinkies, convincing himself how dominating he is.

That kind of resolve from the coach - forcing players to play out their contracts, would eliminate the crap that's going on with Jackson, too

Fred Jackson has played out his contract and is currently a free agent. An exclusive-rights free agent, but he has no contractual obligation to do anything.

The Bills best have traded his fat asss before they draft an OT.

If the Bills allow last year to repeat itself with the Peters situation then they are by far the dumbest organization in the NFL.

Any other team would have traded him by now and the Bills are stupid to think they can continue to play hardball with an ignorant fool.

You do know that anything you say regarding Jason Peters can't be taken seriously don't you? I mean, you do have Jason Peters - Christ as your user name.

Dick Jauron is the worst coach in the NFL and might possibly be the most ignorant person ever if he actually believes that Peters is going to show up. Peters is stuck in a stalemate concerning his contract and now has a history of missing workouts.

He is even more ignorant to believe that Peters is going to playing for the Buffalo Bills next season.

Exaggerate much?

Jauron is not a moron guys. I will agree he has made some bonehead mistakes during games. His management of the clock was very poor last year. However he is a Yale grad and older then a few of us put together. He wants Peters to be back. He knows his team is better off with a motivated happy Peters. He does not have a lot of control over if/when Peters does show up. Or if a new deal gets put in place. Most coaches will say things exactly like this. Eventually push will come to shove. And if Peters doesn't show, then Jauron will say 'we are disappointed, but we have to move on, we got guys here that are going to have to step up. All I (Jauron ) can do is coach the guys that want to be here and are here.' Right now is not the time to get into a pissing contest. He knows that unless Peters gets a new deal, he isn't going to show up to any workouts. He knows that Peters will either be traded, or have a new deal in the next few weeks. I just don't see the Bills letting this linger on. Look at the way they delt with Crowell last year. Peters has tipped his hand at what he will do this year.The Bills FO isn't stupid. I just dont see them letting history repeat itself.

The guy is on the roster and until he leaves in some fashion its up to the HC to put the best spin on it he can. Jauron has nothing to do with Jason Peters BEFORE he gets to OBD, once he is there all he can do is coach him. Jauron doesn't handle contracts or contract talks. Remember, he has to coach what the front office puts on the field, so all he can do is be optimistic about the future.

In other words, I believe he realizes his career and future depend on how the Bills players perform this season. So he is praying like crazy that Peters gets signed and shows up asap. :thumbdown:

I think you are quite right that Jauron knows that he is coaching for his job this year - enough media outlets have said the same regarding his desparate roll of the dice with Owens. I just wish Jauron had a bit more of a poker face when it comes to dealing with players.

But I have been reminded that as a coach it is not Jauron's job to deal with contract disputes. Perhaps he is just towing the company line like some have eluded to, but I don't know if I buy that. I think Jauron is a genuinely good guy, who is sincere to a fault. Also, if this is the "company line" then I fail to see the strategy of telling Peters and his greedyness - Mr. Eugene Parker, that OBD has no other options other than hoping that Peters shows up on time and in shape. If anything I would think that would encourage them to use a similar strategy of sitting out again.

you're reading too much into it.

Coach = Good Cop

GM = Bad Cop

Possible, but Jauron's performance last year leans heavily towards someone who does not prepare well.

All we fans can do is hope that Jauron and the Bills brass actually have a plan B that they are initiating for this contingency.

The reason his comments irked me is that there would be no harm for him and the organization to pressure Peters and his agent with comments like, "we will field the best linemen that show up for camp, and use whatever means available to assure that we have the depth to compete this year".

That is not being mean, but it would sound like a coach who is dedicated to the idea of playing the players that want to play. And show an organization that is committed to filling out its roster by whatever means available with or without Peters.

Exaggerate much?

He is not the worst.

I believe that his win/loss record actually puts him well below the average for coaches who have coached for a while. Jauron has only had one winning season in 9 years as a head coach. He has an overall w/l record of 57/76.

The positive intangables with Jauron is that he is liked by his players and his peers. If he was a jerk with that record he would then merit strong consideration as being one of the worst coaches:)

This whole thing just sounds like a person who hates DJ finding more reasons to hate DJ. I suppose you'd rather Jauron start handling the Peters situation the way Josh McDaniels handled the Cutler thing out in Denver. Or maybe the way that Parcells handled the Jason Taylor thing last year. Sorry, but when coaches start calling out players before the season or over not showing up to voluntary workouts, it doesn't do any good. I for one am glad Jauron is leaving the negotiating to the negotiators and staying out of it.

Is it possible that I like DJ as a person, but not so much as a coach?

I think that he is an incredibly sincere and classy guy, just not head coach material. I will go on record now saying I do so hope that he proves me wrong this season. If he does I will be the first in line with many apologizing for thinking that he does not have the juice to make this a winning franchise.

+1

A bag of bagels has more confidence and ingenuity than DJ. He is a "player's coach" because he is a pushover.

He's a player's coach because he doesn't throw his players to the wolves by commenting on them to the press to appease a message board.

I'm so sick of people just talking crap about Jauron as a coach. Players talk about the respect they have for the guy as a man. DJ has accomplished more in his life than anyone here could probably dream over. He treats his players like men. In the game against the Jets, he could have easily said it was Turk's playcall (which it was). But he took the blame. Additionally, he has one of the least penaltized teams in the NFL almost every year. It speaks to the respect people have for him.

Obviously, he's not the best Xs and Os guy in the world. And he's probably loyal to a fault. But by all accounts, he's as good as person as there is in the NFL.

That is not the way you handle this situation. At the momnt, these are only VOLUNTARY Workouts, meaning, that it is not manditory that he be there. At the moment, Peters has also not given any indication that he will hold out again this year. Fans are just assuming that he will cause he did last year (and more then likely he probably will), but the coach can't make these assumptions before they happen. Right now, they have to continue on as if he will be there for camp and show up because he is under contract to be there. Behind the scenes, he can look at things and make plans in case he doesn't show up, but he can't go out in public and start saying things like "We doubt he will be here in camp cause he held out last year, so we are planning as if he won't be here". He can't say that until Peters actually indicates he won't be there. Thats not how negotiations work, and thats not how a successful buisness is run.

I could not disagree more. Successful businesses are run by folks that want to work and succeed, not by slackers that want to be payed top dollar for dubious effort. The later is how you run businesses into the ground.

I am one of those that believe that Peters could be one of the, if not THE most dominant LT in the league if he is dedicated to the role. But he did sign a contract, and I wonder if he realizes the message that he is sending to teams and GMs around the league. "I will honor my contract until I feel that I am not being paid as much as some other tackles in the league, then I might just screw around with the team and not show up and not honor my deal".

There is absolutly no harm in Jauron simply saying that he can only prepare to play the players who show up for camp ready to play. I think that sends a more powerful message about the dedication that an organization has to winning with those that are on board with the team rather than catering to individual egos who have shown the willingness to screw over the team shortly after signing a lengthy contract in good faith to suit their own greed. I just don't think that saying you have no other options (whether in truth or not) is a good signal to send during negotiations.

imo that is.

Link?

How absolute the knave is... (a bit of appropriate Shakespeare perhaps)

I believe he was applying an exaggeration for effect drawing upon the fact that Jason showed up last year, after claims of being on a personal conditioning program, overweight and out of shape; Having to sit out a game or two, then playing limited reps to get back into game shape so he could last a few quarters without getting winded only to be injured later in the season.

Guest dog14787
He's a player's coach because he doesn't throw his players to the wolves by commenting on them to the press to appease a message board.

I'm so sick of people just talking crap about Jauron as a coach. Players talk about the respect they have for the guy as a man. DJ has accomplished more in his life than anyone here could probably dream over. He treats his players like men. In the game against the Jets, he could have easily said it was Turk's playcall (which it was). But he took the blame. Additionally, he has one of the least penaltized teams in the NFL almost every year. It speaks to the respect people have for him.

Obviously, he's not the best Xs and Os guy in the world. And he's probably loyal to a fault. But by all accounts, he's as good as person as there is in the NFL.

I've never doubted Dick Jaurons Character , but the comment you made about X's and O's is in my opinion correct.

Combine that with an OC who starts out with a flawed offensive philosophy to begin with ( not his fault), has very little experience and is also not the greatest when it comes to strategic game planning and play calling.

Its a recipe for disaster regardless of how much talent we have.

I want Turk Shonert to succeed, I really do as I'm sure we all do, but he's fighting an uphill battle with a HC that can do very little to help him when it comes to the offensive.

Peters isn't the only one not at VOLUNTARY workouts.

There's no indication he won't be there for mandatory workouts. Dick has no say in what ultimately happens to Peters, so why would he indicate there's any reason to believe he won't be there?? Not that Dick has much of a professional career left, but calling Peters out right now would be the absolute worst thing a coach could do in this situation. I'd even bet he was told exactly what to say should this question come up.

Agree -- I should have revised my comments to say if he doesn't get his butt in here for mandatory workouts.

Good post. DJ, while hugely unpopular here among the proletariat, is a Yale graduate, and most assuredly NOT the dope that the frothing masses paint him. He also was a pro bowl player in this league. Given that he and his staff work at this stuff about 80 hours a week, year round, I suspect that he knows a little more than we do about ALL things Bills-related. I think a pass rush and a better offensive line would make him look pretty smart indeed. And BTW, who REALLY thinks he has ANY say over JP's contract status? Are you kidding me? We all (should) know that tho$e decisions come from the "inner circle" in Detroit (read: Jeff "Let's fire Bill Polian" Littman, Ralph's personal waterboy and the power behind the throne).

Jauron should have chosen his words more carefully. All he had to say was we'll coach the guys that are here. We'll prepare with the guys that are here. We can only play the guys that are here. Period.

And then he should have referred ALL additional questions re Peters to the Brandon, Littman, and the rest of the Bills FO brass that actually is involved in the contractual matter.

GO BILLS!!!