I don't like Jauron's approach to the Peters situation

If he would of showed up last year, who knows what would of exactly happened? But it wouldn't of been worse than what all ready happened, that is for sure.

True. The fact remains, however, that both last year and this year, Parker and Peters want to be paid amongst the top 2-3 LTs in the league, which is 10-11 million. And the Bills want to pay him as little as they can. No one knows the real numbers but a few in the Bills front office. But I would bet 11.5 million dollars it's not 11.5 million.

Ultimately, I think he signs here eventually for 10+, which is the same amount he would have gotten by coming in or sitting out.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

True. The fact remains, however, that both last year and this year, Parker and Peters want to be paid amongst the top 2-3 LTs in the league, which is 10-11 million. And the Bills want to pay him as little as they can. No one knows the real numbers but a few in the Bills front office. But I would bet 11.5 million dollars it's not 11.5 million.

Ultimately, I think he signs here eventually for 10+, which is the same amount he would have gotten by coming in or sitting out.

I think so to.

And I really dislike the way Parker does business. I hope one day some sort of dynamic occurs in the league to where players shun this style of negotiations.

It is possible that the Bills tough stance last year with Peters could discourage players from hiring agents like Parker. If only other teams would do the same thing, then no team would negotiate with hold outs.

I like that the Bills FO are rewarding the players like Lee Evans, Stroud and others for coming to practice while they are in negotiations. I think it sets a good precedence moving forward.

I think so to.

And I really dislike the way Parker does business. I hope one day some sort of dynamic occurs in the league to where players shun this style of negotiations.

It is possible that the Bills tough stance last year with Peters could discourage players from hiring agents like Parker. If only other teams would do the same thing, then no team would negotiate with hold outs.

I like that the Bills FO are rewarding the players like Lee Evans, Stroud and others for coming to practice while they are in negotiations. I think it sets a good precedence moving forward.

I think that what most people are leaving out of the equation is that Peters is a unique situation because the money is SO big, meaning eight figures instead of seven. It's a lot easier IMO to pay a guy like Schobel 7 million or Stroud 7-8 million or even Evans 9 million. But it gets a little more dicey when you are talking 10-12 million a year. Also, lets not forget that it took Evans about a year and a half to get his deal, too, even though he was playing and allegedly happy and being a team player all that time. It's been a less than that for Peters.

I think there are a lot of different models for how teams operate, and probably about 32 different models for how teams approach the draft with regard to how much power their HC has in the final decision. There are a ton of factors involved in that, especially how long the HC has been there, how successful he has been, how much power the owner has given him, how much he individually has spent evaluating college players, how powerful the GM is or whomever it is that drafts for that team, how meddlesome the owner is, how long the scouting staff has been there, and how successful they are, etc.

I think that Jauron as a head coach, regardless of his success, has a lot of power in the Bills front office that was given to him by Ralph. Without a strong GM who has been there a long time and who doesn't have a proven track record, Jauron probably has as much say in the draft as the upper third of the league (IMO probably around, say, 8th-11th most). Not as much as some, like the good established coaches (Bellicheck, Holmgren, Reid, etc), but more than most.

Thanks for this, which pretty much sums up how I feel.

How much do you think his role changed when Marv left, and in what way?

Thanks for this, which pretty much sums up how I feel.

How much do you think his role changed when Marv left, and in what way?

I doubt it changed much at all. I doubt that Marv or Brandon have real serious knowledge of the intricacies of college scouting. It's not as though they are dumb, they probably just didn't do it much. That is also not to say they don't watch a lot of film or know who these players are or don't have fairly strong opinions about these players, but we as fans have strong opinions about these players and who we like and want to draft and we don't know sh--.

Marv welcomed the committee approach, partly because he was a coach first and partly because he is that kind of consensus guy rather than a tyrant. Brandon, for different reasons, just doesn't have the authority or experience that most GMs have, so he is not going to try any power plays either and be the man when it comes to the draft or player personnel. Modrak has a lot of respect around the league and team and owner, so he has some significant juice, too, which leads to the consensus approach.

Jauron is a smart, thoughtful guy. He's probably pretty good around the table at the draft (meaning as good as anyone else here, it's not s though we have great drafters). His problem is in making on the spot decisions, a knack for pulling the right strings at the right time in a game, and having an innovative area of expertise that separates him from the good coaches in game plans, etc. I also think everything has to go through Ralph, which tends to retard some strengths of a guy like Modrak.

I doubt it changed much at all. I doubt that Marv or Brandon have real serious knowledge of the intricacies of college scouting. It's not as though they are dumb, they probably just didn't do it much. That is also not to say they don't watch a lot of film or know who these players are or don't have fairly strong opinions about these players, but we as fans have strong opinions about these players and who we like and want to draft and we don't know sh--.

Marv welcomed the committee approach, partly because he was a coach first and partly because he is that kind of consensus guy rather than a tyrant. Brandon, for different reasons, just doesn't have the authority or experience that most GMs have, so he is not going to try any power plays either and be the man when it comes to the draft or player personnel. Modrak has a lot of respect around the league and team and owner, so he has some significant juice, too, which leads to the consensus approach.

Jauron is a smart, thoughtful guy. He's probably pretty good around the table at the draft (meaning as good as anyone else here, it's not s though we have great drafters). His problem is in making on the spot decisions, a knack for pulling the right strings at the right time in a game, and having an innovative area of expertise that separates him from the good coaches in game plans, etc. I also think everything has to go through Ralph, which tends to retard some strengths of a guy like Modrak.

Again, I fully agree. The difference between me and certain other posters is that I think that the above is a very bad system. As you said, with 32 different systems there are bound to be some that are worse, but as a Bills Fan, I would rather see the bulk of the power in the hands of one proven, capable football guy.

We spoke of this before on this board. In the situatuion you describe (and which I believe is very close to what exists), it would seem to lend itself to losing precious time on draft day wrt trade downs, etc., as well as slowing things down in free agency.

Again, I fully agree. The difference between me and certain other posters is that I think that the above is a very bad system. As you said, with 32 different systems there are bound to be some that are worse, but as a Bills Fan, I would rather see the bulk of the power in the hands of one proven, capable football guy.

We spoke of this before on this board. In the situatuion you describe (and which I believe is very close to what exists), it would seem to lend itself to losing precious time on draft day wrt trade downs, etc., as well as slowing things down in free agency.

Well, the opposite way, with TD, didn't really work either for the Bills. Although I had less problem with TD than most did, and I think his problem was he struck out on a couple gambles on head coaches. If he would have lucked out instead of struck out (which IMO is the difference sometimes between greatness and failure), he would have been a lot more popular and probably still here.

Well, the opposite way, with TD, didn't really work either for the Bills. Although I had less problem with TD than most did, and I think his problem was he struck out on a couple gambles on head coaches. If he would have lucked out instead of struck out (which IMO is the difference sometimes between greatness and failure), he would have been a lot more popular and probably still here.

That, Mike Williams and Losman (NOT trying to start a JP discussion). It just strikes me as obvious that the Bills couldn't afford 2 misses of that magnitude.

That, Mike Williams and losman (NOT trying to start a JP discussion). It just strikes me as obvious that the Bills couldn't afford 2 misses of that magnitude.

Mike Williams and Losman both turned out to be bad decisions, But he brought in a lot of good players, too, and if Greggo or Meathead would have turned into John Fox or Ken Wisenhunt, he could have overcame those blunders. TD probably made a mistake on Bledsoe, too, but I think we had enough talent those years to win. The difference between 7-9 wins versus 10-11 wins was not that much if you had good head coaching, good staffs, game plans, in game adjustments, play-calling, etc. We had pretty good teams and terrible coaching. Pretty good teams with good coaching make the playoffs.

The problem is, there are precious few guys who are excellent and available...although there are one or two, I would consider.

Unless I am mistaken, more teams are moving to a team approach, not the other way around. They may have a guy with more power in the room, but the days of the lone GM molding the team to his whims is waning.

And, while you didn't ask me, I think the difference between Marv and Brandon, in the room, is Marv brought some gravitas to the situation, and was likely better at finding and building consensus. Also, I will assume his football opinions held more weight with his colleagues, than do Brandon's, at this stage in his career.