I don't like Jauron's approach to the Peters situation

After reading Tim's article I was struck how Dick was adament that they (the Bills) have to prepare as if Peters will show up and play at a high level.

The quote was "Last year, he didn't show up. We've just got to anticipate that he will, and we've got to keep working in that direction and keep the lines of communication open and believe he's going to show up because that's all we can do."

Thats all we can do.... reallly? So this is a coach that knows how to prepare his team?

What Dick should do is grow a pair and prepare to play without him, and to continue to play without him because he will most likely show up late and out of shape again. To hope that Peters will show up and play at a high level without him (and his agent) getting theirs$$$$ is just ridiculously naive.

If they cannot come to terms soon then sit him for the next 2 seasons of his contract as a backup and start plan B now and let your O-Line get some continuity without him disrupting the works when he finally shows up out of shape and out of synch with the team.

Just my opinion so fire away if you think I am way off base.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After reading Tim's article I was struck how Dick was adament that they (the Bills) have to prepare as if Peters will show up and play at a high level.

The quote was "Last year, he didn't show up. We've just got to anticipate that he will, and we've got to keep working in that direction and keep the lines of communication open and believe he's going to show up because that's all we can do."

Thats all we can do.... reallly? So this is a coach that knows how to prepare his team?

What Dick should do is grow a pair and prepare to play without him, and to continue to play without him because he will most likely show up late and out of shape again. To hope that Peters will show up and play at a high level without him (and his agent) getting theirs$$$$ is just ridiculously naive.

If they cannot come to terms soon then sit him for the next 2 seasons of his contract as a backup and start plan B now and let your O-Line get some continuity without him disrupting the works when he finally shows up out of shape and out of synch with the team.

Totally agree with you! Here's what Jauron SHOULD say:

"If Peters gets his butt in here for offseason workouts, we'll prepare as if he's a part of our offense. Otherwise, we are moving on and when/if he does return, he'll have to EARN his starting position back -- it won't be handed to him."

"If Peters gets his butt in here for offseason workouts, we'll prepare as if he's a part of our offense. Otherwise, we are moving on and when/if he does return, he'll have to EARN his starting position back -- it won't be handed to him."

Peters isn't the only one not at VOLUNTARY workouts.

There's no indication he won't be there for mandatory workouts. Dick has no say in what ultimately happens to Peters, so why would he indicate there's any reason to believe he won't be there?? Not that Dick has much of a professional career left, but calling Peters out right now would be the absolute worst thing a coach could do in this situation. I'd even bet he was told exactly what to say should this question come up.

Peters isn't the only one not at VOLUNTARY workouts.

There's no indication he won't be there for mandatory workouts. Dick has no say in what ultimately happens to Peters, so why would he indicate there's any reason to believe he won't be there?? Not that Dick has much of a professional career left, but calling Peters out right now would be the absolute worst thing a coach could do in this situation. I'd even bet he was told exactly what to say should this question come up.

I agree! If Jauron starts to play "hardball" before Peters has actually started some sort of a holdout (remember these are voluntary workouts), it might instigate Peters, or his agent to take a public stance. Once that happens, and we are assuming a lot here, and Petere/his agent says he will not play for the Bills, it not only weakens any progress they might make in signing him to a new deal, but it also could significantly weaken their position with other interested teams, if they are planing to trade Peters. Just because fans are pissed and frustrated in April, there is no reason for the Bills, or Jauron, to say stupid things right now. My guess, for what it is worth, is that the Bills will try to trade him.

The guy is on the roster and until he leaves in some fashion its up to the HC to put the best spin on it he can. Jauron has nothing to do with Jason Peters BEFORE he gets to OBD, once he is there all he can do is coach him. Jauron doesn't handle contracts or contract talks. Remember, he has to coach what the front office puts on the field, so all he can do is be optimistic about the future.

In other words, I believe he realizes his career and future depend on how the Bills players perform this season. So he is praying like crazy that Peters gets signed and shows up asap. :rolleyes:

you're reading too much into it.

Coach = Good Cop

GM = Bad Cop

I do think that is what the approach will be after the Bills draft an OT.

Agreed there CBN. Jauron should immediately hold a presser and announce he's banned Jason Peters from any further contact with the Front Office and unless he crawls on his belly like a reptile into his office and begs for his job back, Dick's going to kick him off HIS team. Then, while the cameras are still rolling, he should introduce Seth McKinney to the media and present him with a #71 McKinney jersey.

Dick Jauron is the worst coach in the NFL and might possibly be the most ignorant person ever if he actually believes that Peters is going to show up. Peters is stuck in a stalemate concerning his contract and now has a history of missing workouts.

He is even more ignorant to believe that Peters is going to playing for the Buffalo Bills next season.

I do think that is what the approach will be after the Bills draft an OT.

The Bills best have traded his fat asss before they draft an OT.

If the Bills allow last year to repeat itself with the Peters situation then they are by far the dumbest organization in the NFL.

Any other team would have traded him by now and the Bills are stupid to think they can continue to play hardball with an ignorant fool.

Dick has no feel at all for what it takes to be even a good NFL head coach. This is after 8 seasons of trying. He is a joke.

This time next year we will have a new head coach and hopefully Peters is still here with a long term deal.

:thumbdown: Way off base? Actually, you just described Dick Jauron's NFL head coaching philosophy to a tee. He doesn't have a philosophy! And he left his balls back on the field when he was an outstanding NFL d-back in the 70's.

As a head coach, he basically disapears and just tries to keep eveybody happy. I guess you can say that Bill Parcells was the anti-Jauron. Was there anything funnier then Parcells telling the press that "she" is not ready to practice when he was talking about a first round draft choice his Pats invested in at wide receiver? Or when he would not call T.O by his name, and only referred to him as "that player", because he did not like Owens' style? In contrast, you will probably see DJ driving T.O.'s golf cart for him from the practice field to the dorms at St. John Fisher this August!

Nobody can ever say a "bad" word about Jauron, and his players "love" playing for him. The only thing he cannot figure out how to do is WIN in the NFL. But you are right on. Jauron should absolutely move on without Peters, as soon as he does not show up for the first mandatory OTA this spring. And if Peters shows up a few days before the opening game against the Pats, he should be buried on the bench until he takes his job back away from whoever is starting. And I am one of Peters' biggest fans out here, and think the Bills should pay him the money he wants. That doesn't mean I think he's right to hold out another training camp, and DJ should make him pay for it like a man!! Good post!

This whole thing just sounds like a person who hates DJ finding more reasons to hate DJ. I suppose you'd rather Jauron start handling the Peters situation the way Josh McDaniels handled the Cutler thing out in Denver. Or maybe the way that Parcells handled the Jason Taylor thing last year. Sorry, but when coaches start calling out players before the season or over not showing up to voluntary workouts, it doesn't do any good. I for one am glad Jauron is leaving the negotiating to the negotiators and staying out of it.

I absolutely agree!!!! I would have far more respect for Jauron if he said, "If Peters holds out, he'll sit out. And if he doesn't play good, he'll watch us play for the next two years." That kind of resolve from the coach - forcing players to play out their contracts, would eliminate the crap that's going on with Jackson, too, and other players around the league. How does the next two years on the bench sound? Then show up and play hard.

I absolutely agree!!!! I would have far more respect for Jauron if he said, "If Peters holds out, he'll sit out. And if he doesn't play good, he'll watch us play for the next two years." That kind of resolve from the coach - forcing players to play out their contracts, would eliminate the crap that's going on with Jackson, too, and other players around the league. How does the next two years on the bench sound? Then show up and play hard.

The "crap that's going on with Jackson?" I think everyone here agrees that paying your back-up running back who has played well above expectations, and who is going to have to start at least one game, which happens to be against our biggest division rival, should be getting paid more than the league minimum this year. Jackson has shown up and proved that he deserves a better contract with what he has done on the field. They rewarded Stroud and Evans for that, and I think it's time they coughed up for Jackson. At least give him 1.5-2mil a year. He's earned that.

As for Jauron, I can only reiterate my previous post. Coaches acting like a-holes with their players doesn't frequently make those players want to show up and play. See the examples above.

Hard to argue with you there.

Some optimism is a good thing, but too much hope as a strategy and Jauron starts to sound like the elevator is not making it all the way to the top floor.

Of course, we need to recognize that negotiations would not be helped by a militant view from the head coach being aired publically. So, he HAS to say what he said, in my view. He may very well be thinking otherwise, and developing plan B....(WALKER to the left), but he is not going to disrespect Peter publically while trying to negotiate. My view, he is running is part in this play.........the way the plan says he should. We will see..

That is not the way you handle this situation. At the momnt, these are only VOLUNTARY Workouts, meaning, that it is not manditory that he be there. At the moment, Peters has also not given any indication that he will hold out again this year. Fans are just assuming that he will cause he did last year (and more then likely he probably will), but the coach can't make these assumptions before they happen. Right now, they have to continue on as if he will be there for camp and show up because he is under contract to be there. Behind the scenes, he can look at things and make plans in case he doesn't show up, but he can't go out in public and start saying things like "We doubt he will be here in camp cause he held out last year, so we are planning as if he won't be here". He can't say that until Peters actually indicates he won't be there. Thats not how negotiations work, and thats not how a successful buisness is run.