NFL teams using Facebook to investigate draft prospects

bills44

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ArDt...o&type=lgns

Apparently, teams are using phony profiles (which are deleted after the draft) to further investigate potential draftees. While I think this is shady, I can't figure out why people who have a public or semi-public profile (no pun intended) would sign up for sites like this. Just seems that they have everything to lose and very little to gain.

This sounds no different than if you were applying for a state or government job. Its called background investigation.

I think it is totally different. They are lying to players to try and get some info out of them. I understand they are going to invest a lot of money into a player and should protect their investment. But IMO, it doesn't justify an organization going out of their way to lie to a player. After this, why should any player trust that team? I know if I was apply for a job and knew they did this to me, it would be a sign to myself that maybe this isn't a place I'd want to work for.

Apparently, teams are using phony profiles (which are deleted after the draft) to further investigate potential draftees. While I think this is shady, I can't figure out why people who have a public or semi-public profile (no pun intended) would sign up for sites like this. Just seems that they have everything to lose and very little to gain.

The idea of using phony profiles in the process of drafting or "hiring" is questionable. As a user of facebook I am well aware that anything I put out there can and is exposed to the world. Keep in mind it is not much different than posting your thoughts here - this forum is a bit more anonymous in that you post under an alias but I'm sure it would not be that hard to figure out who you are (if you post frequently).

Personally, I post nothing on Facebook (or even here) that I would have to think twice about if my employer, or wife or priest or - you get the point - read it.

At this point, I'm guessing prospects had facebook pages long before they were even a little famous - they've been keeping them up since high school, like other kids. Still, though, at the point you're playing D-I football, it's probably time to take down any pictures of yourself in any compromising position, and just keep a page about your career stats.

I think it is totally different. They are lying to players to try and get some info out of them. I understand they are going to invest a lot of money into a player and should protect their investment. But IMO, it doesn't justify an organization going out of their way to lie to a player. After this, why should any player trust that team? I know if I was apply for a job and knew they did this to me, it would be a sign to myself that maybe this isn't a place I'd want to work for.

With this one, I gotta disagree with you. I think an employer has every right in my view to do extensive research regarding their investment. At the end of the day it is an investment, an investment on their team's future success, an investment on their monetary success. All sorts of implications. As Goodell says, it is a priveledge to play in the NFL. So players, who have the spotlight on them, and that spotlight consists of many impressionable young people, should conduct themselves in a way that is appropriate. They shouldn't have anything to hide, and I don't see the harm in creatively investigating their large potential investments.

The idea of using phony profiles in the process of drafting or "hiring" is questionable. As a user of facebook I am well aware that anything I put out there can and is exposed to the world. Keep in mind it is not much different than posting your thoughts here - this forum is a bit more anonymous in that you post under an alias but I'm sure it would not be that hard to figure out who you are (if you post frequently).

Personally, I post nothing on Facebook (or even here) that I would have to think twice about if my employer, or wife or priest or - you get the point - read it.

Yup. Whenever I think about posting something questionable on FB, I remind myself that my managing editor is on my friends list, and that's the end of that idea ...

As someone around whom Facebook was started--my school was one of the first 20 that could be on their network--I agree that there is NOTHING wrong with this. It's in no way shape or form shady, misleading, or deceptive. If you're in college and on Facebook, you should fully aware of how to keep your content private. If you limit your content to only your friends, you should know how to not-friend somebody. If they get caught by draft-bots with foolish career hindering content, they're an idiot to begin with.

At this point, I'm guessing prospects had facebook pages long before they were even a little famous - they've been keeping them up since high school, like other kids. Still, though, at the point you're playing D-I football, it's probably time to take down any pictures of yourself in any compromising position, and just keep a page about your career stats.

Or at least set all that stuff to private, and further customize the settings so even random "friends" can't see it.

How old are you? Seriously, I'm too old to understand the appeal, but these days young people are on these sites in overwhelming numbers, and until they start looking for jobs or get in the public spotlight, the feedback they get for their profiles are all from friends and peers and is all very positive.

It's all when they hit the grownup world that the negative stuff hits, and they're blown away. They say that corporations are all looking at these sites now when they recruit.

It's like white-collar criminals sending emails admitting guilt thinking it will never come out. Everything seems fairly private. Till it's not.

One thing that article fails to mention that it is possible to pull up historical information from alternate sites so prospective players (or more likely their agents) who scrubbed their pages or asked their friends to can still be shown information which they would rather keep buried.

Facebook claims more than 200 million users but the actual number is quite a bit less with many people with multiple pages, closed accounts, etc. so NFL adding some phony pages is not surprising. Many companies do similar fishing expeditions in recruiting trying to get information from rival companies.

I think it's fantastic. You'd like to know if your investment is a complete douchenozzle outside the public eye.

douchenozzle, very nice. I thought I was the only one who ever used that term. Mad respect.

Players will end up being lied to once they are in the league. Its inevitable. Might as well let the deception start early and often. I don't blame these teams one bit, they have millions of dollars at stake as well as their jobs. Making the wrong decisions on draft day have devastating consequences. If a player is dumb enough to be sloppy with something as simple as their facebook account, id say it indicates a stronger likelihood of future public slip-ups.

these teams have a few months to put together as complete a profile as they can on several hundred individuals. All the pieces matter.

Facebook has features that allow you to completely block others from viewing your profile. The options allow you to block parts of your profiles, pictures, etc. You can even block the ability of people to search for you, or even see that you exist if you are not friends with them. So if any team wants to see your stuff, they have to be you friend.

Note to NFL draft eligable players- that really hot girl you never met that wants to be your facebook friend does not exist. It is an alias for SKOOBY!

Amusingly, in light of this thread, someone just sent me a friend request claiming to have been a high school classmate of mine. This, despite that surname never appearing in any of the six yearbooks I pulled off the shelf to check, and the fact that the three coworkers (and classmates) I asked tonight had never heard of him, either.

Nice try, "Sam." Better luck next time.

Guest dog14787
Amusingly, in light of this thread, someone just sent me a friend request claiming to have been a high school classmate of mine. This, despite that surname never appearing in any of the six yearbooks I pulled off the shelf to check, and the fact that the three coworkers (and classmates) I asked tonight had never heard of him, either.

Nice try, "Sam." Better luck next time.

doggonit, but what if I told you I loved the way you ordered me around, then would you remember. :thumbsup: