Report: Lynch suspended three games

Expecting a 1-2 game suspension that would subsequently get reduced to a fine was delusional. Still thinking that he may escape with no suspension is just bizarre.

By the way, the appeals process is.......Roger Goodell.

True. Expecting Goodell to be consistent, if not sane, in his punishments, was probably asking a lot. I guess to Goodell it's just as bad to beat your girlfriend, drive drunk, and beat up someone, as to fail to avoid hitting a pedestrian and having a loaded gun in the trunk of a car. :blink:

And the NFLPA files the appeal and argues on behalf of the player. Hence the reason Brandon Marshall's 3 game suspension was reduced to 1 game. But given his past actions, I can completely believe that Goodell is temporarily stupid when he hands out the suspensions initially, and then changes his mind when he has time to smarten up.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a Bills fan, and I hope ML is sincere about "changing his ways", but I have no problem with the suspension, whether it ultimately gets reduced or not. The attitude that some of these young players are developing about being "above the law", and entitled to do anything they want because they are NFL players is getting out of hand, and that has to be stopped. We all laughed about Ko Simpson yelling "Do you know who I am? I'm worth MILLIONS" as the cops were dragging his butt to jail, but that underlying attitude is real, and apparently has become more the norm than the exception with the current generation of players. I'll support any effort Goodell undertakes towards that end, whether it adversely affects the Bills in the short term or not. 3 games is not that much, considering that he let ML off with nothing but a slap on the wrist the last time, and that did no good. Goodell probably felt "betrayed" by ML's latest actions after he let him off last time, and that no doubt played some role in his decision this time.

True. Expecting Goodell to be consistent, if not sane, in his punishments, was probably asking a lot. I guess to Goodell it's just as bad to beat your girlfriend, drive drunk, and beat up someone, as to fail to avoid hitting a pedestrian and having a loaded gun in the trunk of a car. :blink:

And the NFLPA files the appeal and argues on behalf of the player. Hence the reason Brandon Marshall's 3 game suspension was reduced to 1 game.

Expecting Lynch to stay off the police blotter after Goodell warned him last summer was apparently too much to ask, too. BTW, I finally got around to looking up Marshall's timeline, and his suspension was handed out after his FIRST sit-down with the commish.

Yes, the punishment will probably be reduced on appeal ... but Goodell's displeasure that Lynch didn't heed the first warning is now clearly on the record.

Expecting Lynch to stay off the police blotter after Goodell warned him last summer was apparently too much to ask, too. BTW, I finally got around to looking up Marshall's timeline, and his suspension was handed out after his FIRST sit-down with the commish.

Yes, the punishment will probably be reduced on appeal ... but Goodell's displeasure that Lynch didn't heed the first warning is now clearly on the record.

Agreed. I'm on record as saying Marshawn's violations are not really heinous infractions. Still, the punishment is appropriate and fair (give or take a game). I hope it teaches Lynch a lesson. Again, I think he's really a good guy making bad/immature decisions. Hopefully, this will make him think before he does something incredibly stupid.

I also think this will be reduced to two games, when it is all said and done.

Wrong. Even if he didn't shoot himself, Plax carried a loaded weapon into a nightclub. While I agree unregistered guns are an issue (strangely several retired military guys down here in Florida disagree), carrying a gun into a nightclub is far different than having one locked in the trunk, IMO.

And you can be sure that gun stayed in the trunk during the entirety of its existence...because people do usually buy guns (legally/illegally) just to leave them as truck decor :blink: boooo

At least everyone knew where Plax's gun was that night, ML and his posse were driving to God knows where in a sh#t neighborhood

And you can be sure that gun stayed in the trunk during the entirety of its existence...because people do usually buy guns (legally/illegally) just to leave them as truck decor :blink: boooo

At least everyone knew where Plax's gun was that night, ML and his posse were driving to God knows where in a sh#t neighborhood

No, but there is no evidence Lynch carries it into public places. He might shoot at a range, for example.

All your claims about Marshawn in that post are speculative, and you seem to speculate he must be doing bad things. This reflects what you think, more than it does Lynch's behavior.

So, let's adjust your claim to make it: The only difference between what Plaxico did, and the things I imagine Lynch might have done, is Plax shot himself.

As for me, I won't speculate that Marshawn is anywhere near the idiot Plax is.

totally uncalled for, completely inappropriate, excessive beyond belief...

Roger Goodell

Chief Executive Ass Hole

National Football League

280 Park Avenue

New York, NY 10017

212-450-2000

ask him how much kraft slips him under the table, and why he loves polishing bob's knob endlessly?

My opinion of it is that Marshawn got one game for the offense (which is fair), one game for it being a second offense (which is fair) and one game as a buffer so they can appeal it down to two games and both sides feel like they did their jobs. I think he will end up getting two games.

It's just speculation but IMO from all he has said is that Goodel is a lot more pissed or willing to give a harsher penalty because it's the second incident, rather than the actual incident.

My opinion of it is that Marshawn got one game for the offense (which is fair), one game for it being a second offense (which is fair) and one game as a buffer so they can appeal it down to two games and both sides feel like they did their jobs. I think he will end up getting two games.

It's just speculation but IMO from all he has said is that Goodel is a lot more pissed or willing to give a harsher penalty because it's the second incident, rather than the actual incident.

That's exactly the way I read it as well, KTD. Someone (think it was Tim, or it may have been Allen Wilson) asked Goodell about Lynch at the owners' meetings, and the commish did NOT sound amused.

I'm not worried about this. Just like last year when Marshawn was "injured", he's just going to sneak off and put on his "fred jackson" costume. Goodell will never know the difference.

Seriously though, even though Marshawn is the better running back, I'm confident that Freddie can pick up the slack for 2-3 games.

Absolutely ridiculous. I hope all the people that hoped that they would throw the book at Lynch to "prove a point" are happy now that the NFL has basically screwed us...again.

I don't really think this is the NFL screwing us, it is our own players screwing us once again. These guys are constantly in the spotlight and everything they do gets judged, whether it is minor or not. They need to grow up and be accountable for the decisions they make or stop making stupid decisions. I hate the thought of Marshawn being out just as much as anyone else, but lets not pretend that everyone is just out to get us. He messed up.

Based on the delay between the public meeting/slapdown and the suspension with the announcement of the MNF game coincidentally happening between them, it may be a set-up to allow ML to play in the 1st game and serve his suspension later.

There are many more advertising bucks to be made with ML in the game. Best strategy would be to have ML keep his mouth shut and let the Bills and players ass-oc PR machines run for a while and then appeal late. Goodell could reduce the suspension and not start it until game 2 (or 3 if they want to make it look better.) When $ s are involved everyone is on the same page.

Guest dog14787

Meanwhile, it gets harder and harder for high profile Folks like Marshawn Lynch to get a permit to carry a hand gun for protection.

The alternative is a 24/7 body guard because the reality is in the real world high profile folks need protection, for themselves and their loved ones.

Meanwhile, it gets harder and harder for high profile Folks like Marshawn Lynch to get a permit to carry a hand gun for protection.

The alternative is a 24/7 body guard because the reality is in the real world high profile folks need protection, for themselves and their loved ones.

Protection from what?? Being an idiot? From the "target on his back"? From the Commish?

Were those Lynch's "loved ones" he was smoking with in his plateless mercedes?

He could have licensed his weapon like anyone else in that jurisdiction. If he is too stupid to fill out an application, he should not be armed.

Stop making excuses for this guy. He obviously doesn't give 2 shiii8ts about you, the devoted Bills fan.

Oooh. This should go over well here, or perhaps not:

GRAHAM: Hold the line on Lynch's suspension

(Edit: I was typing while you were posting, LynchMob.)

April 9, 2009 1:45 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Tim Graham

Buffalo Bills running back Marshawn Lynch has hope. His three-game suspension for poor conduct could be reduced on appeal.

There's precedent. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell last summer trimmed Denver Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall's suspension for bad behavior from three games to one.

It would be a bad idea to give Lynch similar treatment.

Lynch is expected to appeal his suspension, the result of two troubling transgressions within a nine-month span. He committed a hit-and-run May 31 in Buffalo. Police in Culver City, Calif., found him in a car with marijuana and a concealed 9mm semiautomatic handgun on Feb. 11.

Both times, Lynch stiff-armed and shook off punishment like would-be tacklers.

That's why Goodell, who metes out the discipline and weighs the appeals, must stand by his original sentence.

He makes an interesting point by adding the latest update on Marshall, who has continued to get into trouble after his suspension was reduced. Would he have done the same if Goodell had hammered him harder the first time? (Corollary: will Lynch and everyone following him pay the price now because he didn't?)

I respect your opinion, but I'm not sure I agree this time, Tim. I think a two-game layoff -- what I expected to begin with -- would still send an adequate message.