2009 TBD 3 Round Mock Draft Peanut Gallery

R. Rich

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I'll get this started, since I'm the Lions' mock GM:

Conventional wisdom says that if you do not have a franchise QB, you don't pass on one. Well, we're going to challenge that. While Stafford has a cannon of an arm and Sanchez shows impressive skills, especially his accuracy, I don't know if either can be classified as a "franchise QB", one that you'd pass up a number of marquee talents in order to select. The Lions are not a QB away from contention, and to those that point to Matt Ryan's success of last year, I only ask: does John Abraham's career year come w/ the QB the Lions would draft? Do you also get one of the league's top rushers (2nd in league; first in conference) as well? No? Well, in that case...

w/ the first overall pick in the 2009 TBD 3 Round Mock Draft, the Detroit Lions select...

Jason Smith, OL from Baylor

Nice selection. :thumbsup:

If history proves, #2 may also be an OT.

Nice selection. :thumbsup:

Thanks. I really think that the Lions would be treading water by not addressing their offensive and defensive fronts. Taking another skill player while you have glaring needs up front doesn't seem very smart to me.

Yeah. Too bad decided not to show up.

I sent Bill a PM of encouragement - but BGIM is correct - folks waiting for details about the mock weren't given so

by Sunday, so I think many just gave it up.

Perhaps. We'll see.

I did post the schedule and time limits for the mock over on the Wall. We'll see if that makes a difference for tomorrow.

Am I too late? If not Eugene Monroe. I was sure that you were going to grab Curry. :thumbsup:

Nah. W/ the Lions making the trade to grab Julian Peterson, I decided to go in another direction. They need help all over, not just @ the linebacker position.

Nah. W/ the Lions making the trade to grab Julian Peterson, I decided to go in another direction. They need help all over, not just @ the linebacker position.

Branden Albert was a guard on this team because Monroe played LT. That's about all the info I need.

You must like Smith a lot! :thumbsup:

Nice selection. :(

:D

Cincy, St. Louis lost Orlando Pace. I'm not crazy about Bulger, but he is good enough to win some games. Opportunities to grab a potentially great LT are ever so rare.

Your pick will be interesting. Like the Rams, a ton of genuine needs, ya know? ;)

:(

Cincy, St. Louis lost Orlando Pace. I'm not crazy about Bulger, but he is good enough to win some games. Opportunities to grab a potentially great LT are ever so rare.

Your pick will be interesting. Like the Rams, a ton of genuine needs, ya know? :D

Channeling Mike Brown (bleah!), I can see CIN trying to trade down on draft day. It's always the money with him, and the thought of paying #6 moolah must be disturbing his sleep.

They've been pretty successful with OLs, though. Even with the many injuries the past 2 seasons, OL/Asst. HC Paul Alexander keeps coaching the reserves up. IMO, he's the most valuable member of the entire organization.

Alexander has a lot of pull, too. Despite the teams' warts, I give them credit for consistently drafting OLs . You never know with Brown, though...he like the flashy offensive players, and also has a history of drafting fine talents that everybody else won't touch because of their lousy characters.

His "bargain hunting" has blown up in his face several times.

And yes - STL would do well to go the OT route. I don't see how they could not.

I made the Detroit pick yesterday, when we were to begin the first round. Detroit ins't changing their pick, so St Louis is now up.

The actual draft thread has the draft order and the times the picks are slotted for. Do NOT post anything other than actual draft choices in the draft thread. All discussion and commentary should be done in this thread.

Lame, I know.

Predictable, I know.

But it really is the best pick for the Chiefs, a team that is lacking a 2nd rounder and NEEDS an impact player on the Defense.

Nothing lame 'bout the best defensive talent in the entire draft. They still need a pass rusher, but I wouldn't pass up a guy like Curry for any of the down linemen in this draft.

Great picks by KC and Seattle. One good thing about the TBD mock draft is that top notch skill players always fall due to the over-emphasis of the OL draftees.

Uh huh. That's what happens when you root for a team that has OL issues.

Cleveland's pick is made. I know Cincy's GM is 'round here somewhere, so we'll try to get back on track here.

Whoa! Cincy w/ the curveball. They left BJ Raji and Andre Smith on the board, eh? Wow.

Still, a good pick. You could always go after a guy like Moala in Round 2 and keep the USC theme going (Rivers last year, Maualuga and Moala this year).

Whoa! Cincy w/ the curveball. They left BJ Raji and Andre Smith on the board, eh? Wow.

Still, a good pick. You could always go after a guy like Moala in Round 2 and keep the USC theme going (Rivers last year, Maualuga and Moala this year).

#3 Pat Sims looked like he might be the real deal last year. And they re-signed Domato Peko for some serious bucks. Hard not to pull the trigger on Smith, but they have been burned several times with the overly-hefty crowd showing up with even more weight. I'm not an Oher fan.

Word here is that DE Geathers' injury progress is dismal.

Michael Oher, huh? Well, I hope the Bills do something in free agency to get a pass rusher if that's the pick. Unless something crazy happens, I don't see there being any decent rushers available w/ the 2nd round pick, which I figure would go for a TE or C/G prospect anyway.

Michael Oher, huh? Well, I hope the Bills do something in free agency to get a pass rusher if that's the pick. Unless something crazy happens, I don't see there being any decent rushers available w/ the 2nd round pick, which I figure would go for a TE or C/G prospect anyway.

Completely agree. I think it was a "OMG, PETERS IS GOING TO GO!!!11!!" reactionary pick.

No pass rush help in the 2nd.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.