It's always fun to go back in time

Mammoth Williams brings nastiness to Bills' line

By ALLEN WILSON

Buffalo News Sports Reporter

4/21/2002

At 6-foot-55/8 and 375 pounds, Mike Williams is a little hard to miss. Just ask Buffalo Bills coach Gregg Williams, who recently got an up close and personal look at the massive offensive tackle from the University of Texas.

"He had to turn sideways when he came through my office door," Gregg Williams quipped.

Besides Mike Williams' incredible size, his wry wit and gift of gab cannot be ignored. If personality were the sole criteria for being drafted, he would have been the first player selected.

He was a big hit at Texas as host of the "Mike Williams Show," on the school's athletic department Web site, which featured plenty of banter between teammates. Williams provided most of the jokes, many of which were at his teammates' expense.

Williams also became a media darling while making the rounds to various cities with teams interested in him and during his trip to New York City for the pre-draft activities.

At every stop, Williams has been the life of the party.

"I like to have fun off the field," the Bills' first-round draft pick said Saturday during a conference call with the local media. "I like to live my life."

Williams' good nature shouldn't be taken as a sign of weakness. There is a nasty side to him that loves nothing better than to line up and knock the taste out of your mouth. He had 67 knockdown blocks and 64 pancakes, which means a defender was flattened, during an All-America senior year.

"When I get on the field, I like to punish people," said Williams, a former all-state defensive tackle at The Colony (Tex.) High School. "It feels great. You just grab him and you got him. You look in his eyes and he's like, "Oh please, let me go. I'll never do it again.' And I say, "Oh no, no. You're going down.'

"And then all of a sudden, you feel his body make a horrible shift, sort like he's been hit with a 12-gauge shotgun. And he's going back and back and back. And then when you land on top of him, you use all your weight and kind of press him into the ground. You kind of want to make an imprint on the ground to remind him that every time you lock up against me this is going to happen to you."

That kind of attitude will be a welcome addition to a Bills' offensive line that needed an infusion of toughness.

The Bills had a lot of appealing options with the fourth overall selection. But Williams was just too good to pass up.

"We're very, very excited about the opportunity to get this young man," Gregg Williams said. "The fact that he is a very large, agile and tough offensive lineman is what we want here. We're not going to compromise the toughness aspect of it and the effort. He has both of those characteristics. And he has a great personality. He adds to the chemistry of our football team. He's a high-motor football player who adds to what we need right now."

Mike Williams really wasn't sure where he would go in the draft. He would have been happy to go anywhere.

As long as he was picked before Miami's mountainous offensive tackle Bryant McKinnie.

"I just wanted to be the first offensive lineman taken," Williams said. "To accomplish that goal is so satisfying, and it comes with great responsibility. I think I'm willing to take that challenge and go on with that."

Williams is dominating at the point of attack, using great strength and power to overwhelm defenders. Despite his size, he is incredibly athletic and agile. His nimble feet allow him to play with great leverage.

Williams said playing other sports like soccer, basketball and karate as a youngster helped his athleticism.

"I was always good at football, but I expanded my horizons," he said. "I wanted to venture out and try other sports. With soccer and karate, you get flexibility. It just helped me so tremendously. Another part of (why he's so athletic) is I was blessed."

Williams played right tackle at Texas, primarily because left-hander Chris Simms was the starting quarterback most of the season. But the Bills feel Williams can move to the left side.

"I'm comfortable at either side," Williams said. "I think I have good ability and athleticism to play right or left. It doesn't even matter to me."

Perhaps Williams' biggest adjustment will be the speed of the NFL game.

"Yeah, they are probably a little bit faster," he said, "but I'm still going to chase them as fast as I can."

The Bills suddenly have some depth at offensive tackle, which includes free-agent pickups Trey Teague and Marcus Price.

While no one doubts Williams won't be a starter once the season begins, Gregg Williams said the rookie must compete for the job.

"All of a sudden now you take a step up," coach Williams said. "You're playing a man's game up here at this level with some big people who have played at this level. He has not played at this level, so he has to come in here and earn his stripes like everyone else."

That's fine with Mike Williams.

"I'm going in to work hard," he said. "My dad (Kevin) is a retired (Army) lieutenant colonel, and he always said work for what you earn. I have the opportunity to go to a great team and a great place. I don't need to go in there thinking I'm big stuff. I need to go in there trying to make a big impact."

Donahoe's 'stud' poker tactics land nation's best run blocker

By JERRY SULLIVAN

Buffalo News

4/21/2002

It would have been a lot more dramatic if the Drew Bledsoe deal had gone through. All day long, I had my fingers positioned over the computer keys, ready to declare it the Bills' most significant personnel upgrade since Jim Kelly rolled into town in 1986.

But it was a good day for the home team just the same. General Manager Tom Donahoe, who would make a fine poker player, did the wise thing on draft day. After all the speculation about trading down, he stayed in the No. 4 slot and nabbed offensive tackle Mike Williams, who should be a mammoth mainstay for years to come.

The more the Bills' personnel men looked at it, and the more time they spent examining their needs and weighing the possibilities, the more obvious it became that Williams was the guy. In the end, all the talk about trading down was just that. Talk. No one called the Bills, seeking to move up, and the Bills weren't calling anyone, either.

That's how sure they were about Williams, an uncommonly nimble 375-pounder from the University of Texas. Donahoe said it would have taken an "unbelievable" offer to move them out of the fourth hole in the draft. When their time came, they barely hesitated and made him the highest-drafted offensive lineman in franchise history.

Donahoe has a reputation for trading down on draft day. Maybe he could have traded down, grabbed a defensive lineman and picked up an extra pick in the process. But at some point, it's not about extra picks. It's about finding a player who is so good, so remarkably gifted, that you have to take him.

It had been a long time since the Bills drafted that sort of player. They hadn't picked in the top 10 since Shane Conlan in 1987. From 1991 to 2001, they had just one pick in the top 20 - Ruben Brown at No. 14 in 1995. They hadn't picked an offensive lineman in the first OR second round since '95.

So the time had come for the Bills to get a stud, and even more imperative to address the position that has been in disarray almost since their last Super Bowl trip: offensive line. Donahoe has done a terrific job filling holes on his team, adding depth and skill through free agency. But if you're going to win the Super Bowl, you need a core of players who went high in the draft. Williams is a good start.

LSU's Josh Reed was a surprise in the second round, but there wasn't a more productive receiver in college last season. We're not talking about a player from some obscure conference. He player in the SEC and had 19 catches for 293 yards against Alabama. Presumably, the Bills are already preparing for Peerless Price's departure in free agency after the season.

There are still big questions on defense. How do they intend to stop the run? With Tyrone Robertson and Ron Edwards? Might they be waiting to scoop up some free agent linemen when NFL teams purge their rosters after June 1? And who is going to quarterback this team? If not Bledsoe, then who? Will they go back to Jeff Blake? Or will it be Alex Van Pelt's team?

One thing is fairly certain. No one will be howling about Donahoe failing to address his offensive line. Last year, he was roasted for failing to take Kenyatta Walker in the first round. The O-line was bad, and injuries made it worse. At times, the Bills were forced to start tackles who were barely qualified as backups.

Donahoe bristled whenever Walker's name was mentioned; he was quick to point out that Nate Clements, the cornerback he'd taken instead, had acquitted himself well in his rookie year. He said Jonas Jennings, his third-rounder, would perform like a top pick. Still, he knew the line was a problem, and he did something about it.

Donahoe had been cagey about his intentions. When he signed Marcus Price and Trey Teague in free agency, it fed speculation that the Bills were going defense in Round One. But Donahoe wanted a superstar on his offensive line, a player who could be the engine for a legitimate power running attack.

"If we want to be a quality football team, it starts with the offensive line," Donahoe said Saturday after selecting Williams. "That's the No. 1 priority. We have to get better there. Once you get better there and you're able to control the ball, it makes your whole team better. A quality offensive line, where you put your team in the position to control the ball for 33, 34, 35 minutes a game, it improves your defense."

If Williams is as good as advertised, he'll also help the defense. If you run well, you keep your defense off the field. You send them back out with better field position. As offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride says, you dictate to the opposition rather than vice versa.

Football is a simple game. Run and stop the run. Last year, the Bills were constantly in second-and-long. That's a recipe for offensive disaster. It also exposes your quarterback to injury because long down-and-distance plays invite pass rushers to pin their ears back and come after you. Run effectively on first down and it's a different game.

The Bills have drafted the best run blocker in America. Tailback Travis Henry has to be the happiest guy in town - along with Brown, who has a star quality tackle to play alongside, and with a personality to rival his own. One of those draft-day commercials on ESPN concluded Sunday with Williams saying, "The camera loves me."

The quarterbacks will love him, too; a good running game is a QB's best friend. I don't know who it will be, or how good an arm he has. But if this thing works out as planned, he'll do some of his best work handing off.

Donahoe makes safe, smart pick at No. 4

Bills' GM doesn't gamble, takes a big building block for future

By Leo Roth

Rochester Democrat and Chronicle

April 21, 2002

There were six trades made in the first round of Saturday's NFL draft and wagering a Jim Kelly rookie card that the Buffalo Bills would be involved in one seemed a safe bet.

General manager Tom Downahoe -- er Donahoe -- is a noted wheeler-dealer, making moves in seven of the nine previous drafts he conducted for Pittsburgh or Buffalo.

He's not bashful about picking up a phone.

Given his history, we were bracing for Donahoe to throw away the only good thing about last year's 3-13 record -- the No. 4 overall pick. Trading down from Rodeo Drive and ending up in a strip mall.

But it didn't happen. Donahoe isn't a habitual gambler after all. He valued the top five pick as gold; like he plans on never picking this high again.

"We were pretty determined with the pick," Donahoe said. "It would've had to have been an unbelievable offer."

But nobody called and he wasn't calling anybody.

So, after five months of speculation, starting about the time the Bills fell to 1-7 last November, they did the smart and logical thing, selecting University of Texas offensive tackle Mike Williams.

Sexy? No, that would've been taking Oregon quarterback Joey Harrington, who went to Detroit a pick before Buffalo.

Intriguing? That would've been North Carolina defensive tackle Ryan Sims, who went to Kansas City two spots later.

A reach? That would've been Oklahoma safety Roy Williams, who went No. 8 to Dallas.

Safe and sound? An enthusiastic yes.

Finally, a first-round pick by the Bills that legitimately addresses a line that's been in decay for a decade. A pick to make amends for Corey Louchiey, Jamie Nails and Robert Hicks.

Buffalo is in a full-blown rebuilding mode, a project that takes patience and a foundation.

Adding Mike Williams, an engaging 6-foot-6, 375-pound man-mountain with a mean streak, was a cement truck backing up to One Bills Drive.

Yes, the Bills could've shipped the fourth pick to New England to perhaps get a trade for quarterback Drew Bledsoe accomplished. They could've traded with the Lions for Harrington. But those moves put the cart in front of the horse.

By hanging onto the pick and selecting Williams, Donahoe and coach Gregg Williams were true to their roots and their master plan for the Bills.

You win in our climate by running the ball and keeping your quarterback out of the hospital when he has to pass. Taking Mike Williams just made incumbent Alex Van Pelt better.

Donahoe knows the drill. In Pittsburgh, he took cornerstone tackle Leon Searcy 11th overall in the first round in 1992 and went to a Super Bowl three years later with Neil O'Donnell at quarterback.

"If you look at teams in the league that are good teams year in and out, it usually starts with the offensive line," Donahoe said. "When we went into the off-season, we talked about this a lot and made it a priority."

Williams follows the free agent additions of Trey Teague and Marcus Price and the drafting last year of starter Jonas Jennings. Suddenly, a line that resembled a piece of swiss cheese on cleats has the potential to shine.

"There will be some healthy competition (now) and hopefully at the end of training camp, we'll have five guys who can go out and knock someone on their rear end," Donahoe said.

The Bills were too soft last year. They are in dire need of an attitude adjustment and Williams sounds like a recruit from the WWF.

He once picked up his 9-year-old brother and dropped him on top of the family TV set.

In scouting circles, he's what's known as a "finisher," a blocker who isn't content with just getting in the way of a tackler, he needs to inflict pain or the game's just not fun.

His last two seasons for Texas, he led in "pancake" hits (205) on the field -- and pancakes eaten off it.

"When you land on top, you use all your weight," Williams said gleefully. "You want to make an imprint in the ground and remind him, 'Every time you go against me, this is going to happen to you.' "

Gregg Williams fell in love with Mike Williams when the big Longhorn visited Ralph Wilson Stadium before the draft and had to walk sideways into his office.

While Miami's Bryant McKinnie (seventh to Minnes-ota) was also highly considered, the Bills felt Williams was a better run blocker. Nimble on his feet. A meat locker on coasters.

They made the pick with six minutes still on the clock.

"It wasn't a (debate)," Tom Modrak, director of football operations said. "We all felt strongly that this was the guy for us."

The only thing that flowed more than coffee during the six-hour first round was optimism. The reality is that no pick is a sure thing.

If you're looking to increase your odds, however, picking offensive linemen high is the way to go.

The linemen taken in the top five since 1995 include Tony Boselli (Jaguars), Jonathan Ogden (Ravens) and Orlando Pace (Rams). Their teams have been among the NFL's best, with the Ravens and Rams winning Super Bowls.

Buffalo's own history shows a strong correlation between first-round linemen and winning -- Paul Seymour and Joe DeLamielleure in 1973, Jim Ritcher in 1980, Will Wolford in 1986, John Fina in 1992 and Ruben Brown in 1995.

The only outward knock on Williams is his weight.

"While he really likes football, Williams also loves eating," analyst Joel Buchsbaum said.

If Donahoe can stay away from the trade table in Round One, the least Williams can do is stay away from the dessert table.

A rhinoceros with lower legs like toothpicks. I still can't believe the Bills' brain trust didn't notice that. <_<

Nobody noticed it. You could blame the silver fox for alot of things, but choosing fat mike with the 4th pick is not one of them. Sure you could argue that they should of took Mckinney, but really everybody had them neck & neck. Mckinney although turning out better then williams, has not been the perenial pro bolwer that alot of people though he was going to be. I still do not understand what happened to Williams, I saw him play in college on many occassions & always came away impressed. The guy should of been our bookend tackle for 10 years.

Didn't get past this line:

Williams provided most of the jokes, many of which were at his teammates' expense...

I'm a big fan of this line:

"When I get on the field, I like to punish people," said Williams,

Like who the fans of the team and the actual team that drafted you?!?!? <_<

Nobody noticed it. You could blame the silver fox for alot of things, but choosing fat mike with the 4th pick is not one of them. Sure you could argue that they should of took Mckinney, but really everybody had them neck & neck. Mckinney although turning out better then williams, has not been the perenial pro bolwer that alot of people though he was going to be. I still do not understand what happened to Williams, I saw him play in college on many occassions & always came away impressed. The guy should of been our bookend tackle for 10 years.

I noticed it. I'm sure other fans did, too. But huge egos in the football biz is not uncommon.

I noticed it. I'm sure other fans did, too. But huge egos in the football biz is not uncommon.

Really, I do not remember any fans or media for that matter being unhappy with that pick at the time. Hindsight is 20/20.

what really sucks is that towards the end of fat mike's first year, he was really coming on.. so much so that i thought he was going to be straight up dominant the next year.

ah well.

what really sucks is that towards the end of fat mike's first year, he was really coming on.. so much so that i thought he was going to be straight up dominant the next year.

ah well.

Yep. Hindsight is NOT always 20/20. That is, there are many flawed recollections of Williams' tenure in Buffalo. He was actually pretty darn good as a rookie, helping keep Bledsoe on his feet well enough to break some of the team's single-season passing records. I also remember Williams receiving heaps of praise after that magical 2-0 start in 2003, which consisted of blowouts against the Pats and Jags. That was followed by the Miami melt-down, where the offense couldn't score (and Gilbride called that now infamous Travis Henry pass play down around the end zone!) That game proved to be the beginning of the end for a lot of people, including Gregg, Gilbride, Bledsoe and Big Mike. I don't recall ever thinking again that Big Mike was going to be a perennial All Pro tackle.

Really, I do not remember any fans or media for that matter being unhappy with that pick at the time. Hindsight is 20/20.

Surround yourself with brighter fans. :thumbsup:

You are on your own re the media, however. It's hype and market share, there.

See the KS quarter for a depiction of MW:

http://www.us-coin-values-advisor.com/kans...te-quarter.html

"I'm going in to work hard," he said. "My dad (Kevin) is a retired (Army) lieutenant colonel, and he always said work for what you earn. I have the opportunity to go to a great team and a great place. I don't need to go in there thinking I'm big stuff. I need to go in there trying to make a big impact."

Could have fooled me Mike. :thumbsup: