Mark Gaughan thinks we should consider Kendall Simmons

Magox

Monday Morning One-Liners

Posted by Josh Alper on March 30, 2009, 9:30 a.m.

Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News thinks the Bills should consider former Steelers G Kendall Simmons, if he’s healthy, to compete with G Kirk Chambers for a starting spot on the left side of the offensive line.

If the deal with Waters breaks down and we don't address our need at Guard during the draft, I think this would be the logical decision.

My feelings are that we will wait until after the draft before we make any major moves.

Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News thinks the Bills should consider former Steelers G Kendall Simmons, if he’s healthy, to compete with G Kirk Chambers for a starting spot on the left side of the offensive line.

If the deal with Waters breaks down and we don't address our need at Guard during the draft, I think this would be the logical decision.

My feelings are that we will wait until after the draft before we make any major moves.

Dont count your chickens before they hatch. Another team may sign Simmons before the draft. Any team that is not able to address their G need in the draft will be after him once the draft is complete. He has not drawn much interest and was injured, sign him to a deal that allows the Bills to bail if he cannot perform or we can draft a G. We wont have to commit some huge bonus to him, or June for that matter, they could be cut once camp comes around no biggie.

Dont count your chickens before they hatch. Another team may sign Simmons before the draft. Any team that is not able to address their G need in the draft will be after him once the draft is complete. He has not drawn much interest and was injured, sign him to a deal that allows the Bills to bail if he cannot perform or we can draft a G. We wont have to commit some huge bonus to him, or June for that matter, they could be cut once camp comes around no biggie.

you may be right. That's the risk you run in not signing someone like Simmons now. I still believe that we will wait until after the draft, right or wrong.

Yes Magox has addressed that. The point was that the Waters rumors were more than just fan-based speculation.

Wow, either the chain is being jerked or the reading comprehension is in Monday Morning mode.

thank you!!

I thought I was the only one on this thread who understood English today

I love the idea of going after Simmons for depth, but the guy is a diabetic recovering from an achilles tendon injury. If he doesn't scream "injury" concern, I don't know who does. Waters would be the better selection obviously (even if he is two years older), but we shouldn't get carried away with him and offer any more than a fifth rounder for him. 32 year old linemen don't really warrant much more than that, and there's plenty of talent in the draft if we don't get him.

I love the idea of going after Simmons for depth, but the guy is a diabetic recovering from an achilles tendon injury. If he doesn't scream "injury" concern, I don't know who does. Waters would be the better selection obviously (even if he is two years older), but we shouldn't get carried away with him and offer any more than a fifth rounder for him. 32 year old linemen don't really warrant much more than that, and there's plenty of talent in the draft if we don't get him.

Good post. I would hate for them to sign a guy like Simmons, and then once again forego the guard potition in the draft (which is all but certain anyway).

Historically, we bring in these second rate guards and they suck. Names like Joe Panos, Chris Villarial, Bennie Anderson and other poor acquisitions come to mind. The Bills need to bring in a kid such as Andy Levitre and solve the problem.

You're welcome. It was starting to get a little Abbott and Costello-ish.

I think the point is that an article by a blogger (who happens to be a fan) that was dated a month ago, claiming info from sources, constitutes positive proof that the Bills are involved in trade talks? :censored:

Not saying this isnt the case, but was this reported in any other outlet?

Good post. I would hate for them to sign a guy like Simmons, and then once again forego the guard potition in the draft (which is all but certain anyway).

Historically, we bring in these second rate guards and they suck. Names like Joe Panos, Chris Villarial, Bennie Anderson and other poor acquisitions come to mind. The Bills need to bring in a kid such as Andy Levitre and solve the problem.

True, but if we bring a guy in for depth that shouldn't preclude us from drafting the guy we might want to start at LG for the next decade or so if he is available at a good value pick. Plus, signing a guy like Simmons shouldn't keep us from wanting to upgrade. One problems the Bills have had the last few years has been depth. I would love the signing of a Simmons and a June/Keiaho but would still go after those positions in the draft if the talent was available.

I think the point is that an article by a blogger (who happens to be a fan) that was dated a month ago, claiming info from sources, constitutes positive proof that the Bills are involved in trade talks? :censored:

Not saying this isnt the case, but was this reported in any other outlet?

is it speculation? sure it is.

Is it just fan-based? Well I suppose that is debatable. However, he is an employed and a contributing writer for Scout.com and Fox Sports. So, to say just fan-based speculation is not entirely correct.

I think the point of this thread was whether or not Simmons is someone to consider or not. If you want to dismiss the Waters trade rumours, that is your prerogative.

Btw, who said positive proof that the Bills are involved in trade talks with Waters?

I think the point of this thread was whether or not Simmons is someone to consider or not. If you want to dismiss the Waters trade rumours, that is your prerogative.

Btw, who said positive proof that the Bills are involved in trade talks with Waters?

Agreed on the point of this thread, and I also agree he should be considered over Chambers. Bell and Chambers should be allowed to focus on their primary position as a T, and we can either trade for or sign a veteran, and draft a youngster to compete. I'd be perfectly fine with Simmons and a draft choice as our LG depth heading into the season.

is it speculation? sure it is.

Is it just fan-based? Well I suppose that is debatable. However, he is an employed and a contributing writer for Scout.com and Fox Sports. So, to say just fan-based speculation is not entirely correct.

This may all be a matter of semantics, and I dont wish to harp on it. But as far as him being a fan, he states it on his profile, so I have to view it as if any of us posted it on a blog.

As far as positive proof, you certainly did not state that, true, but by saying "If the deal with Waters breaks down and we don't address our need at Guard during the draft, I think this would be the logical decision.", well that is implying that there has been a publicized/official/known/whatever deal in the works, rather than what one guy had speculated.

Again, not looking to get in a pissing match, just bringing to light why some may find this confusing, imo.

This may all be a matter of semantics, and I dont wish to harp on it. But as far as him being a fan, he states it on his profile, so I have to view it as if any of us posted it on a blog.

As far as positive proof, you certainly did not state that, true, but by saying "If the deal with Waters breaks down and we don't address our need at Guard during the draft, I think this would be the logical decision.", well that is implying that there has been a publicized/official/known/whatever deal in the works, rather than what one guy had speculated.

Again, not looking to get in a pissing match, just bringing to light why some may find this confusing, imo.

yes, it is a matter of semantics. Either way, I'd like to see a deal with Waters get done. I'm not to sure Pioli will grant his trade wishes, but if that possible trade does not unfold, then Simmons may not be a bad option. I suppose it comes down to how much his asking price is. Hopefully, if there isn't too much interest in him, which that seems to be the case, he may sign on to a cheap 1 year deal.

My feelings are that we are going to wait until after the draft to see which direction we are going, unless we trade for Waters during the draft.