Mark Gaughan thinks we should consider Kendall Simmons

Magox

yes, it is a matter of semantics. Either way, I'd like to see a deal with Waters get done. I'm not to sure Pioli will grant his trade wishes, but if that possible trade does not unfold, then Simmons may not be a bad option. I suppose it comes down to how much his asking price is. Hopefully, if there isn't too much interest in him, which that seems to be the case, he may sign on to a cheap 1 year deal.

My feelings are that we are going to wait until after the draft to see which direction we are going, unless we trade for Waters during the draft.

A guy we should have gone after is Andy Alleman, former 3rd round pick of the Saints, currently on Miam. He was claimed off waivers by the 'Phins last year, and its clear Parcells and Sparano know linemen. He'd be a good, young guy to consider for depth and competition at LG. Plus his brother went to dental school at UB with me and this guy, unlike TO, enjoys the buffalo night life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Alleman

Bills medical staffed worked him out. And he passed the work out. Has any other team had him in for a work out? If not then you definitely bring him in after the draft for league min for his years. If he is up to his old form, you got your starter. If not you cut him or a back up. Sounds like he was brought for his work out as insurance for things not working out in the draft.

With all of the "big names" off of the boards for the most part people are wondering why the Bills haven't sured up the OL yet, with Dockery being cut and all. There are 2 reasons that I can think of as to why they haven't made a move yet, in FA anyway. I really believe that our FO has SERIOUS interest in acquiring Brian Waters from KC, IF they aren't being completely unreasonable with the asking price. Second, they are REALLY studying all of these guys that are likely to be coming off the board in the first 3 rounds of the draft this year for the OL. Alot of stock could be going into a rookie on the OL to be a key contributor. Guys like Alex Mack, Eric Wood, Duke Robinson, Max Unger, Johnathan Luigs, Andre Caldwell, Herman Johnson, A.Q. Shipley, Andy Levitre, Kraig Urbik, Trevor Canfield, and Louis Vasquez(whom I think is a "sleeper" coming out of this draft) are getting serious consideration to fill our LG spot on the OL. Or they could even be looking at drafting some one to play RG and move Butler to LG. Either way, I believe that trade possibilities and the draft are what's holding us back from making a move just yet. If Waters can't be had, we'll be taking two OL players in the first 5 rounds of the draft and signing Kendall Simmons to a deal. If we can get Waters, we'll draft one guy on the OL within the first 3 rounds and draft guys for depth likely in the 6th and 7th rounds. Waters is the key to this whole situation. There are also cuts after the draft, especially if teams draft a player that they believe fills out their roster better than another. There are also more cuts due to cap purposes. They could be waiting on all of this to play out as well before signing palyers for "depth purposes". I think everyone just needs to calm down a bit. We wouldn't go out and sign Terrell Owens if we planned on leaving a gaping hole in the left side of our offense. The needs WILL be addressed and they will be addressed adequately. I have faith that our FO isn't that stupid. But then again, we did blow what could've been a trade for Dockery. :wallbash:

This was from a thread I started about a week ago. :censored:

This was from a thread I started about a week ago. :censored:

I believe that the Bills have every intention to better their offensive line this year. I know that is the goal going into every year, but this year, I believe it to be more so. The Bills FO knows that the pressure is on to produce a good team more so than other years. This is an important year for Jauron, Trent Edwards and the Bills fan base, and they know it.

It would be counterproductive to sign a player like T.O if they couldn't even give Trent Edwards good pass blocking. My thoughts are that they won't drop the ball by not signing Peters to a fair contract extension and I don't believe that they are content with Chambers as their starting guard.

Of course, I may be wrong, and in the next 10 minutes we will hear that Peters was just traded for a second round pick to Philly :wallbash:

Bills medical staffed worked him out. And he passed the work out. Has any other team had him in for a work out? If not then you definitely bring him in after the draft for league min for his years. If he is up to his old form, you got your starter. If not you cut him or a back up. Sounds like he was brought for his work out as insurance for things not working out in the draft.

I don't think a high caliber 30-year old guard will sign for the league minimum. But I like your thinking. Bring him in cheap and let him compete, but don't let it deter you from picking up more talent along the way.

is it speculation? sure it is.

Is it just fan-based? Well I suppose that is debatable. However, he is an employed and a contributing writer for Scout.com and Fox Sports. So, to say just fan-based speculation is not entirely correct.

I think the point of this thread was whether or not Simmons is someone to consider or not. If you want to dismiss the Waters trade rumours, that is your prerogative.

Btw, who said positive proof that the Bills are involved in trade talks with Waters?

So the same Pat Moran who used to write (don't know if he still does) for BillsZone created his own blog on FoxSports.com, eh? Good to know. (And yeah, I might not consider that "employment." But that's just my opinion ...)

So the same Pat Moran who used to write (don't know if he still does) for BillsZone created his own blog on FoxSports.com, eh? Good to know. (And yeah, I might not consider that "employment." But that's just my opinion ...)

The whole point of the thread was if we don't trade for Waters, then Simmons would be a decent target in FA. If you want to argue over the semantics of the wording Lori, feel free to do so. :censored:

Same guy Lori.

And nobody else ever confirmed the Bills' alleged interest in Waters?

Just checking, since this appeared in a story by Kansas City Star Chiefs beat writer Adam Teicher last week:

Pioli says Gonzalez did not request a trade

Pioli also indicated the Chiefs would not attempt to move Pro Bowl guard Brian Waters, who recently asked to be traded or released.

“He’s a Chief,” Pioli said. “He’s under contract.”

And nobody else ever confirmed the Bills' alleged interest in Waters?

Just checking, since this appeared in a story by Kansas City Star Chiefs beat writer Adam Teicher last week:

It's all speculation. Who knows if it's true or not?

But you can't entirely go by what Pioli says, you have to figure that is the company line. It sort of like what every single Secretary of Treasury says here in the U.S, when they state "We believe in a strong dollar policy" .... :censored:

Monday Morning One-Liners

Posted by Josh Alper on March 30, 2009, 9:30 a.m.

Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News thinks the Bills should consider former Steelers G Kendall Simmons, if he’s healthy, to compete with G Kirk Chambers for a starting spot on the left side of the offensive line.

If the deal with Waters breaks down and we don't address our need at Guard during the draft, I think this would be the logical decision.

My feelings are that we will wait until after the draft before we make any major moves.

I would not give up more than a 5th round draft choice.