Pettigrew in round 2

In Pat Kirwain's most recent mock draft, he has Pettigrew falling to the bills in round 2. I' m not sure if that will happen, but it does mean the tight end is not an option at number 11. Trading down is a possibility, but most teams would like to trade down, and finding a partner could be difficult. I think the bills should go either defensive end (maybe Brown or Maybin) or lb in round 1. The question is what do we do in round 2. Do the bills maintain their position, and take the best player available. Or should the bills trade up to the late first or early second and target Pettigrew? I say they stand pat. Even if Pettigrew is gone, one of the other top ends or interior lineman will be there.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Pat Kirwain's most recent mock draft, he has Pettigrew falling to the bills in round 2. I' m not sure if that will happen, but it does mean the tight end is not an option at number 11. Trading down is a possibility, but most teams would like to trade down, and finding a partner could be difficult. I think the bills should go either defensive end (maybe Brown or Maybin) or lb in round 1. The question is what do we do in round 2. Do the bills maintain their position, and take the best player available. Or should the bills trade up to the late first or early second and target Pettigrew? I say they stand pat. Even if Pettigrew is gone, one of the other top ends or interior lineman will be there.

I think it just depends, if the Bills think that a pass catching tight end is their biggest priority in the draft, they should stand pat, and just pick Pettigrew. He is far and away the best pass catching tight end available in the draft. It seems that he is being projected by most as a high first round, early second round pick. IMO, if they really want him, they can't afford to trade too far down, and gurantee that they will get him. Personally, I would prefer to see them trade up in the draft, and get the linebacker from Wake Forest (sorry, having a brain freeze on the name). While I think tight end is important, I also think, with Owens added to the offense, we could live another year without the top prospect, and see what we have with Derek Fine... I think, overall, a pass rushing linebacker has a better chance of making an instant impact on this roster, than a tight end. I won't be pissed if they draft Pettigrew (I trust them to know what they need more than me), as an observer though, I would rather get a step up on improving our linebacking core. It is pretty mediocre right now. I think a top prospect at that (LB) position would also help Posluszny develop...

I think it just depends, if the Bills think that a pass catching tight end is their biggest priority in the draft, they should stand pat, and just pick Pettigrew. He is far and away the best pass catching tight end available in the draft.

Chase Coffman had 90 catches for 987 yards and 10 TDs in 2008.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=177294

Pettigrew had 42 for 472 yards and 0 TDs in 2008.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=158483

I'm not sure Pettigrew qualifies as the best pass catching tight end. Many reports have Pettigrew as the best blocking TE. Either player would be worth a 2nd round pick IMO.

Interesting note that Charlie Casserly ex GM and now with the NFL network thinks Shawn Nelson is a better blocker then Pettigrew. Although Mike Mayock and Charles Davis, the two scouts and draft guru's for NFL network both have Pettigrew in the top 10 best players in the draft. link to Nelson http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&amp...944&yr=2009

Scout.com rates Pettigrew as the only 5 star TE in the draft, Pettigrew will most likely be taken by Atlanta at #24 and if he actually gets to Philly at #28,they will take him no question

Interesting note that Charlie Casserly ex GM and now with the NFL network thinks Shawn Nelson is a better blocker then Pettigrew. Although Mike Mayock and Charles Davis, the two scouts and draft guru's for NFL network both have Pettigrew in the top 10 best players in the draft. link to Nelson http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&amp...944&yr=2009

Scout.com rates Pettigrew as the only 5 star TE in the draft, Pettigrew will most likely be taken by Atlanta at #24 and if he actually gets to Philly at #28,they will take him no question

no way the falcons take Pettigrew. They have lost 5 starters on defense and will take the best available defensive player

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that there is someone the Detroit wants enough at our pick that they'd send the 1st round pick got from Dallas (20th overall) and their second (1st overall in the 2nd round) to us.

With just a small amount of luck we could end up with a starter at all three of the positions of need that we have (OG/C, TE, LB, DE, and DT) just by taking the best player available at our pick at those positions.

The most productive TE was James Casey. The best workout was Jared Cook. The best combination of the two was Travis Beckum. This draft has a ton of depth at C,DE, TE, and LB.

I think that is why there is no way we trade up this year. As posted earlier, I am not sure if we will be able to trade down, but if the opportunity is there the bills could really improve. If the bills were to obtain and extra 3rd, they could address line, te, lb, and de.

I think it just depends, if the Bills think that a pass catching tight end is their biggest priority in the draft, they should stand pat, and just pick Pettigrew. He is far and away the best pass catching tight end available in the draft. It seems that he is being projected by most as a high first round, early second round pick. IMO, if they really want him, they can't afford to trade too far down, and gurantee that they will get him. Personally, I would prefer to see them trade up in the draft, and get the linebacker from Wake Forest (sorry, having a brain freeze on the name). While I think tight end is important, I also think, with Owens added to the offense, we could live another year without the top prospect, and see what we have with Derek Fine... I think, overall, a pass rushing linebacker has a better chance of making an instant impact on this roster, than a tight end. I won't be pissed if they draft Pettigrew (I trust them to know what they need more than me), as an observer though, I would rather get a step up on improving our linebacking core. It is pretty mediocre right now. I think a top prospect at that (LB) position would also help Posluszny develop...

Pettigrew is not a pass catching TE that they need to stretch the field.

He runs slower that many OL

He may be a force as blocker - but don't think he will be an impact offensive weapon.

The Bills would be better offf drafting Ingram in the 2nd round - he has the speed and athleticism to run the seam and be a playmaker.

Where some guy's mock draft has a player going has no merit to where we should or should not take that player.

I think it just depends, if the Bills think that a pass catching tight end is their biggest priority in the draft, they should stand pat, and just pick Pettigrew. He is far and away the best pass catching tight end available in the draft.

Pettigrew is far and away NOT the best pass catching TE in this draft.

The only one i can think of is Michael Boley, and that's a huge loss.

Boley and Brooking I know. But they also signed Mike Peterson.

Milloy is terrible, and I don't think Grady Jackson was a starter. Babineaux?

LB is the only loss, really.

I don't want pettigrew period. :angry:I run faster backwards!!!

I like cook or coffeman in third. If Detroit traded us 20 and 33 for pick 11 I would be tickled but I don't think they are that silly. Maybe 20 and 65 for 11th. As previously mentioned depth seems to be abundant this draft so moving up isn't very important, I think they still get a starter at 20 that isn't to much of a drop off from 11th.

I would perfer a DE, OLB in first 2 rounds or even a quality OL then a TE in 3rd or even 4th

alot of gaps to fill but Defense has glaring needs now that we have 4 stars on offense TO, Evans, Beast & Peters if he gets paid.

CB :(

Where some guy's mock draft has a player going has no merit to where we should or should not take that player.

I agree with this for the most part. If the bills like him it does not matter what Kirwain thinks. The point of the post however, is that Pettigrew's stock is dropping, so what does that mean for the Buffalo Bills. It could be an opportunity. I have always liked Kirwain's thoughts. He does a ton of research, and is in touch with so many people through his radio show.

Pettigrew is not a pass catching TE that they need to stretch the field.

He runs slower that many OL

He may be a force as blocker - but don't think he will be an impact offensive weapon.

The Bills would be better offf drafting Ingram in the 2nd round - he has the speed and athleticism to run the seam and be a playmaker.

you obviously never watched the guy play

how fast do you think Tony Gonzalez runs these days? yet he is still a dominant TE

I don't know why everyone is clamoring for this guy. He didn't even catch a TD his senior year and never caught more than 4 a year during his college career. If Buffalo did land up drafting him it wouldn't be for his pass catching ability. He'll never be a game changing receiver. How unhappy would everyone be then?

Stay put in round two and take best player available, TE is pretty deep this year!

Agreed.

Chase Coffman had 90 catches for 987 yards and 10 TDs in 2008.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=177294

Pettigrew had 42 for 472 yards and 0 TDs in 2008.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=158483

Linemen carrying a lot more weight ran comparable forty times at the Combine.

I'm not sure Pettigrew qualifies as the best pass catching tight end. Many reports have Pettigrew as the best blocking TE. Either player would be worth a 2nd round pick IMO.

He's not. I would love to see Buffalo draft SC's TE Jared Cook. The guy is a speed freak and he'll blow past LBs. I wanted the Bills to take Dustin Keller last year, well now I want Cook this year.