Informed Speculation - Buffalo Rumblings

BillsNYC

But the thing is, Smith was in WORSE shape this season and was, again on film the best left tackle.

I have read he has great footwork for a big guy and is hard to get around. Game film is always the first source of information before a workout.

I guess I've been watching different game film. We are talking about Andre Smith? From what I've seen, he project to right tackle. Nothing wrong with that but I wouldn't assume he has the footwork and mobility to be an elite pass protector. I sure haven't seen where he's going to be an elite left tackle.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I've been watching different game film. We are talking about Andre Smith? From what I've seen, he project to right tackle. Nothing wrong with that but I wouldn't assume he has the footwork and mobility to be an elite pass protector. I sure haven't seen where he's going to be an elite left tackle.

You watch game film ?????? :( In your basement, I presume.

You watch game film ?????? :( In your basement, I presume.

Well no. I don't have a basement actually. I saw a few Alabama games this year and I've seen whatever shred of video there is to see on Andre Smith. He looks much better going forward than backward and he has great lower body strength. He seems to have trouble in space. Looks like a mauler better suited to guard or right tackle which is alright. It's just not the same as being an elite left tackle.

So I take it you believe he will be an elite left tackle?

He has given up 11 sacks last year... I believe worst in the league. Do your research. Worst post ever? You sound like a friggin' nerd.

Nerds don't get sarcasm.

You are dead right.

I'm a nerd & I don't get sarcasm at all. :(

Come to think of it.....I don't see where the sarcasm is in your initial post.

Why pay the worst LT in the league?

I say screw him... keep him on the team for the next 2-3 years as a backup. He can't do a thing about it

I guess us nerds don't get sarcasm.

It doesn't matter if he said it or not. I know he's thinking it. You must be a Jason Peter supporter too. Do you enjoy frequent penalties and Edwards getting sacked?

You just know it, huh?

You would know this how? Because you do not like the guy, therefore, BB must be thinking the same thing?

Well no. I don't have a basement actually. I saw a few Alabama games this year and I've seen whatever shred of video there is to see on Andre Smith. He looks much better going forward than backward and he has great lower body strength. He seems to have trouble in space. Looks like a mauler better suited to guard or right tackle which is alright. It's just not the same as being an elite left tackle.

I Don't really have an opinion... but drafting him and sticking him at RG doesn't seem to be the worst thing that could happen.

Groom him and put him where he works the best. I was just plying with ya.. :(

Ugh, I'd hate if the Bills were forced to draft an OT to replace Peters, thereby wasting yet another draft pick.

Just pay the man!

Knowing the Bills, they wont trade him either. He'll just sit on the roster, festering...while we waste our first rounder on an OT, be forced to draft an OG with the 2nd and yet again ignore TE.

I disagree, Peters is overrated and I would be happy to see him go. Two years ago he had a very good year followed up by a holdout, now he wants to be the highest paid LT in the game. Sorry this guy is a cancer and should go to another franchise that can constantly listen to him whine about his contract.

If Peters is an example of "an elite left tackle", why can't this guy be one?

Ben of Iowa City writes: What do you think about the Packers taking Andre Smith at the 9th spot? They desperately need an OT, and Smith was a monster 3 straight years at Alabama. I'm willing to forgive his combine mishap. Is Ted Thompson? In my opinion, the Packers have to take him, do you agree?

Kevin Seifert: I think that's going to be one of the NFC North's questions as we head down the home stretch before the draft. The Packers' short- and long-term needs at tackle have been well-documented, with Chad Clifton seemingly nearing the end of his career and Mark Tauscher's left knee a question mark. I'm sure Thompson would like to add a big-time pass-rusher for the 3-4 defense, but everyone agrees Smith is immensely talented. If all things were equal, he'd be off the board by No. 9. I know there are concerns about his departure from the combine, but to me the biggest concern is that he was still in pretty average shape for his pro day. The Packers have a really, really difficult decision to make here.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-9-13...nd-Mailbag.html

Ben of Iowa City writes: What do you think about the Packers taking Andre Smith at the 9th spot? They desperately need an OT, and Smith was a monster 3 straight years at Alabama. I'm willing to forgive his combine mishap. Is Ted Thompson? In my opinion, the Packers have to take him, do you agree?

Kevin Seifert: I think that's going to be one of the NFC North's questions as we head down the home stretch before the draft. The Packers' short- and long-term needs at tackle have been well-documented, with Chad Clifton seemingly nearing the end of his career and Mark Tauscher's left knee a question mark. I'm sure Thompson would like to add a big-time pass-rusher for the 3-4 defense, but everyone agrees Smith is immensely talented. If all things were equal, he'd be off the board by No. 9. I know there are concerns about his departure from the combine, but to me the biggest concern is that he was still in pretty average shape for his pro day. The Packers have a really, really difficult decision to make here.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nfcnorth/0-9-13...nd-Mailbag.html

OJSimpson said it best, even after the combine BS he still will be picked high. Why? Because at the end of the day, the tape doesn't show his minny meltdown, it shows him dominating Greg Hardy, Sapp and Dunlap.

If Peters is an example of "an elite left tackle", why can't this guy be one?

He may become one but in my humble opinion he doesn't look like one right now. He doesn't seem to move well backwards or laterally. He seems more like a straight line pusher to me.

Peters played tight end in college. He weighed 285 pounds as a senior. Although undrafted, Peters projected to tackle because of his mobility and athleticism on a big frame...the same traits I see lacking in Smith right now.

I wouldn't have a problem with the Bills giving Peters a modest raise (maybe up his salary a 1 or 2 mil a year), but the price he is asking for, there is no way in h*ll he is worth anywhere near that. Last season he was one of the worst LT in the NFL, if not THE worst. I say if he holds out, screw him, wait until he comes back and put him on special teams, remind him where he came from, and that he probably wouldn't even be in the NFL if the Bills didn't take a flyer on him as an undrafted tight end out of college. If he comes back for game 10 so he doesn't lose out on a year of FA, then slap the Franchise Tag on him just to piss him off.

I wouldn't have a problem with the Bills giving Peters a modest raise (maybe up his salary a 1 or 2 mil a year), but the price he is asking for, there is no way in h*ll he is worth anywhere near that. Last season he was one of the worst LT in the NFL, if not THE worst. I say if he holds out, screw him, wait until he comes back and put him on special teams, remind him where he came from, and that he probably wouldn't even be in the NFL if the Bills didn't take a flyer on him as an undrafted tight end out of college. If he comes back for game 10 so he doesn't lose out on a year of FA, then slap the Franchise Tag on him just to piss him off.

He deserves more than 1-2 million more, I think around $10 million would be fair, but asking to be the highest paid LT is over the top.

However the question remains...should the Bills spend money on a player who's play fell off last year and who's selfishness has hurt the team?

So if we trade Peters and let's say get one of the Eagle's first round picks, and Pettigrew and Matthews are on the board, who would you take?

I'm taking Pettigrew and here's why. This draft will run out of TE's who can block a lot quicker than OLB's. I see only 3 guys at most whose blocking is NOT a liability. I don't see how the others are going to help a 7-9 team. I actually like OLB's in this draft well into Round 4. We have OLB Jonathan Casillias from Wisconsin going to Buffalo at pick #110 on DraftTek, and several of us really like this pick. From our #110 pick on, there is only one OLB I like, and that's Nic Harris.

Assuming the speculation about Peters is correct (and it does make sense) then I say trade for a number 1 and go LT, TE, and LB. I woyuld love the choices discussed. Pettrigew and Matthews would be great. As for the LT spot, I would be OK with Smith, and there will be others available. Peter's had had one good season at LT. He is more hype than reality at this point, and his attitude is clearly hurting the team. Excise the cancer and pick up an extra player of you can.

He deserves more than 1-2 million more, I think around $10 million would be fair, but asking to be the highest paid LT is over the top.

However the question remains...should the Bills spend money on a player who's play fell off last year and who's selfishness has hurt the team?

If I were the Bills GM, I would say to JP; Look you hurt yourself & the team by holding out last year. We will give you this amount of money & you can make this much more money in incentives. Option #2 is play this year under your current contract. If you play WELL, we will try to negotiate a new contract with you before you become a free agent.

Assuming the speculation about Peters is correct (and it does make sense) then I say trade for a number 1 and go LT, TE, and LB. I woyuld love the choices discussed. Pettrigew and Matthews would be great. As for the LT spot, I would be OK with Smith, and there will be others available. Peter's had had one good season at LT. He is more hype than reality at this point, and his attitude is clearly hurting the team. Excise the cancer and pick up an extra player of you can.

It's a popular refrain to say trade Peters for picks and be done with the entire situation. Unfortunately, it creates another gaping hole on the OL, forcing front office to find more players who can be immediate starters. IMO, the front office hasn't had enough successes on draft day to warrant any trust, and hoping they'll find a LT, OLB, G, and to a lesser extent TE and DE with their top picks is wishful thinking.

In effect, we're shipping out a known commodity who wants big dollars for unknown entities that while commanding less money, are completely unproven. Trading Peters because he's difficult is not getting this team into the playoffs any quicker. In fact, it would probably contribute to extending their drought to an entire decade.