Informed Speculation - Buffalo Rumblings

BillsNYC

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today's Buffalo News:

"Buffalo Bills Chief Operating Officer Russ Brandon painted a less than optimistic picture regarding the possibility of a new contract agreement with left tackle Jason Peters.

Speaking at the NFL owners meetings in Dana Point, Calif., last week, Brandon said talks with Peters' agent, Eugene Parker, are ongoing, but the two sides remain far apart."

http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/624261.html

Article also says they don't want this to go through April, so wouldn't be surprised to see this end either way soon. If a trade goes through, and its the Eagles, I'd like to see us grab Smith at 11, and hopefully Pettigrew with the pick we get from the Eagles. His blocking skills will come in handy this year, and his receiving skills in 2010 when TO is gone. Then use your 2nd rounder on best DE/LB available.

That'd be a good draft.

I want to keep him, but he doesnt deserve $12 million.

Why? Because he signed a contract to play RT 3 years ago then was asked to play LT where he was voted to the probowl, and is considered one of the top LT's in the league and still has much room to improve???? The man deserves a raise. I would have rather he not sit out, but all the Bills needed to do was renegotiate to get him into camp. The Bills got him cheap for three years. It's time to pay up. I firmly believe a contract is a contract. But if you get a promotion ie RT to LT, some adjustment, $$$$$, should be made. The FO instead decided to play hardball. And you wonder why FA's don't land here!

Why? Because he signed a contract to play RT 3 years ago then was asked to play LT where he was voted to the probowl, and is considered one of the top LT's in the league and still has much room to improve???? The man deserves a raise. I would have rather he not sit out, but all the Bills needed to do was renegotiate to get him into camp. The Bills got him cheap for three years. It's time to pay up. I firmly believe a contract is a contract. But if you get a promotion ie RT to LT, some adjustment, $$$$$, should be made. The FO instead decided to play hardball. And you wonder why FA's don't land here!

Why should the Bills strap themselves for this guy? And what's to say that he won't hold out again in two years? Personally I do not buy into the whole Pro Bowl thing either. I believe it to be a popularity contest more than anything. Spend that money else where and shore up some other positions, trade him for a first round pick.

Because this team is more than one player away from the playoffs, we have a lot of holes to fill. And if I'm throwing top money down, it better be on a player that touches the ball or can personally swing a game. If he was a clear cut top 3 tackle, I'd say pay up, but he's not and his attitude isn't worth the risk.

If we can get an early 2nd and a 4th or 5th it would help with filling some holes. I hate to create a hole by doing this but there is a good posibility it will be there soon enough if we don't give him the bank.

Clayton:

"Q: What do the Eagles plan to do with their first-round picks? Are they going to try and trade for Jason Peters, trade up or stay put? Also, are they serious about trading for Braylon Edwards, or are they possibly looking at Anquan Boldin still?

Brett in New York

A: It's pretty obvious the Eagles will be using their draft to help their offense. If they don't make a trade, they will probably draft an offensive tackle and a running back. I'd rather see them trade one of their first-round picks to get Edwards, Boldin or Jason Peters, but there are odds against that happening. Remember, the Bills want to keep Peters. The Cardinals are trying to keep Boldin. Edwards is available, but the price has to be right for the Browns to deal him. The Eagles are loaded with 12 draft choices, so they have more clout at the table than any other team. Let's see how they do with it."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/stor...&id=4026794

Why? Because the guy wants a new deal every other year when he doesn't deserve it. If we go ahead and make him the highest paid LT in the league, he will be happy for a year or so, then start whining again. Dump him while we can get something good for him, after another dismal year like last season, we won't get anything worth a sh*t for him, if his whining and complaining along with his lackluster play haven't already hurt his value too much.

Because this team is more than one player away from the playoffs, we have a lot of holes to fill. And if I'm throwing top money down, it better be on a player that touches the ball or can personally swing a game. If he was a clear cut top 3 tackle, I'd say pay up, but he's not and his attitude isn't worth the risk.

Now come on, Peters can swing a game, didn't you see the game against the Jets in the Meadowlands? He swung it in the favor of the Jets!

We need to go Pettigrew. We need someone who can contribute on every down. He is the man to do it.

I agree

He can be on the field for all 3 downs and would upgrade the TE position

But #11 pick is too high for him, if the Bills find a trade partner to add some more picks to trade down then maybe you draft Pettigrew if the brass at OBD likes him enough maybe at pick 20 or so

I like Brown at *11

we can get a TE in round 2

I hope they dont get Maybin, he added 20 pounds for his pro day and that had to effect his speed

Uh, you know, Tarkus II, when you say that the man deserves a raise it seems to me that the reported 8.8 MILLION BUCKS that the Bills are offering a guy who just led the league in sacks allowed with 11.5 or there-abouts, is not to awful shabby.... but that's JMO. :lol:

Update to the original blog post (by the poster)

"I’ve read all of these posts and agree with some and disagree with others. A couple of things—the Bills will do NOTHING that they feel won’t help them in 2009, i.e., forget about the spite factor. They aren’t going to let Peters sit out until game #10, fine him a fortune and then him welcome back. Peters has them over a barrell there—and there are those at OBD who feel unless his contract demands are met, that’s exactly what he intends to do. I do not think he gives a hoot about money—the Bills collected every dime of fine money he owed by missing all of camp and Peters didn’t blink an eye. For whatever reason I simply believe he wants out of Buffalo, and knowing that and with a coaching staff that has to win this year, I truly believe that when OBD and Parker agree there is no way a deal will get done—they are going to actively shop him. What is happening now is more passive than aggressive. Expect this to change.

I do not think that there is any other recourse for the Bills—and I am sure we will all argue as to what we receive back is “worth it” when/if this happens. I fully believe that what we get back will be far less than what the 2006/2007 Peters was worth to us, but honestly…the 2008 Peters was distinctly unpredictable from play-to-play.

Like Brian—I agree. Watch the Lions in this."

Update to the original blog post (by the poster)

"I’ve read all of these posts and agree with some and disagree with others. A couple of things—the Bills will do NOTHING that they feel won’t help them in 2009, i.e., forget about the spite factor. They aren’t going to let Peters sit out until game #10, fine him a fortune and then him welcome back. Peters has them over a barrell there—and there are those at OBD who feel unless his contract demands are met, that’s exactly what he intends to do. I do not think he gives a hoot about money—the Bills collected every dime of fine money he owed by missing all of camp and Peters didn’t blink an eye. For whatever reason I simply believe he wants out of Buffalo, and knowing that and with a coaching staff that has to win this year, I truly believe that when OBD and Parker agree there is no way a deal will get done—they are going to actively shop him. What is happening now is more passive than aggressive. Expect this to change.

I do not think that there is any other recourse for the Bills—and I am sure we will all argue as to what we receive back is “worth it” when/if this happens. I fully believe that what we get back will be far less than what the 2006/2007 Peters was worth to us, but honestly…the 2008 Peters was distinctly unpredictable from play-to-play.

Like Brian—I agree. Watch the Lions in this."

If the lions are willing give us their 2 latter 1st round picks for Peters and our 3rd, it's on like donkey kong. We could draft 3 guys in the first round and have a better than average chance of 2 of them improving our team almost instantly. Peters is a liability for the team if he isn't going to play ball or get with the program early on. $600 K last year didn't even phase him, plan on more of the same this year if allowed to fester.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2009/3/29/...med-speculation

I guess take it for what its worth, but these guys have been right on their insider info before with the Bills.

"1) Let's just say the Bills think that their star left tackle not only will stay out of the spring conditioning program, but also the OTAs, and training camp come summer. Let's just also say that they think there is an excellent chance he won't come in for the 2009 season until the tenth game - thus not losing a FA year. Let's just also say that he is demanding he be the highest-paid LT in the NFL and won't budge on this in their salary negotiations. What do you think they should do, or plan to do?

2) Let's just say that they think that a certain Alabama LT is by far the best OT available and have checked out certain problematic personal issues.

3) Let's say that they think that Brandon Pettigrew is a very special player. A "one in five years" kind of guy at the position.

4) Let's say that of the three USC linebackers, a certain Mr. Matthews has by far the greatest upside. At least in the eyes of OBD.

5) Let's say that Mr. Maybin may not have the physical stature/strength to fill the role all of YOU so dearly want him to."

Peters held out last year and played terrible when he came back (made Pro-Bowl on the previous season reputation only). He holds out this year, I hate to say this, but cut him. He has not proven to me that he is the best player in his position and thathe needs to be the highest paid in his position.