Juaron's Style?

When Dick Juaron first came to Buffalo, I liked the move, contrary to how people said it was a cheap out, and thought his intelligence would be a good thing for us. Now, I look at this team and, especially after last year, I noticed a bunch of the players took on his attitude - which is to say, they made plenty of excuses after losses, and said, "we still have to get better" line after wins. The team was without much passion, I thought, and it reflects Dick's attitude.

I wonder, what kind of system does he run? Does his offense have a real style? Is it, "This is how it's going to be. We are going to assert ourselves upon the opposition." I just don't see that kind of mentality with him. Miami, N.E., and now the Jets have coaches who are nasty and tough and their teams relflect who they are (N.E. is more intelligent, I'd say, but successfully so).

Does anybody know what we are trying to be, as a team?

I'd love to hear him say, for once, "We are going to go out there and win, we're going to beat them, again and again, until the game is over and until they have lost." Instead, it's "you never know...a play or two different and we could've..."

Jauron's Style? Allow me to sum it up. Laid back, losing is acceptable, play not to lose the game (don't play to win), paralysis by analysis, and extremely predictable and boring. Basically, a career loser... as a player and a coach.

Feel free to add your assessment.

When Dick Juaron first came to Buffalo, I liked the move, contrary to how people said it was a cheap out, and thought his intelligence would be a good thing for us. Now, I look at this team and, especially after last year, I noticed a bunch of the players took on his attitude - which is to say, they made plenty of excuses after losses, and said, "we still have to get better" line after wins. The team was without much passion, I thought, and it reflects Dick's attitude.

I wonder, what kind of system does he run? Does his offense have a real style? Is it, "This is how it's going to be. We are going to assert ourselves upon the opposition." I just don't see that kind of mentality with him. Miami, N.E., and now the Jets have coaches who are nasty and tough and their teams relflect who they are (N.E. is more intelligent, I'd say, but successfully so).

I'd love to hear him say, for once, "We are going to go out there and win, we're going to beat them, again and again, until the game is over and until they have lost." Instead, it's "you never know...a play or two different and we could've..."

I couldn't agree more. We let other teams dictate our style of play rather than assert our presence on them. You need not look any further at the mentality of our coaches than Turk Schonerts' new video on BuffalBills.com. Everytime he's asked about the offense he's always quick to point out they'll know more about themselves once they see how defenses play them. I don't expect him to come out with the X's and O's of how our offense is going to attack this year, but his answer shows how reactive our coaches are. We always play into the hands of what the other teams are dictating. Last season I rarely felt the Bills were dictating the syle and pace of play (the only exception being the Seahawks game).

Turk almost goes as far as saying they had no clue how to get Lee Evans the ball once divisional games got underway. I mean I don't want to sound too negative, but I 100% agree with you. Juaron and his staff just exude a losing mentality and I think it has trickled down throughout the organization.

The defense plays a Tampa 2,which is a bend but don't break defense. Its supposed to allow moderate run gains but not give up the big play, tell that to Tom Brady and Randy moss.

As much as everyone is crying for a pass rusher in this years draft I'd be happier with a real run stuffer.Someone big enough to collapse the pocket from the outside and still be big enough to stop the run when needed.

As for the offense, tricky dick handed it over to a newbie, Turk Schonert. He made some good calls and some really horrific calls to lose games. The problem doesn't lie with Schonert though because he should improve, Its the basic offensive scheme that stinks.

The Tampa 2 defense and the Martz passing offense are both outdated schemes and will finally die once Jauron is fired.

Jauron's style:

If at any point in the game you get a lead (which is rare) go into ultra-conservative mode:

Offense: Predictably run to the left as often as possible and instead of passing rely on the old shotgun draw play which worked once last year the first game the first time it was used.

Defense: Pull everyone back thus allowing gashing runs and long third down conversions.

The bottom line, tire the defense out and never let the offense get into sync with regular three and outs.

If the Buffalo Bills don't win the Super Bowl this year Dick Jauron should be fired 1 second after the final game.

The defense plays a Tampa 2,which is a bend but don't break defense. Its supposed to allow moderate run gains but not give up the big play, tell that to Tom Brady and Randy moss.

As much as everyone is crying for a pass rusher in this years draft I'd be happier with a real run stuffer.Someone big enough to collapse the pocket from the outside and still be big enough to stop the run when needed.

As for the offense, tricky dick handed it over to a newbie, Turk Schonert. He made some good calls and some really horrific calls to lose games. The problem doesn't lie with Schonert though because he should improve, Its the basic offensive scheme that stinks.

The Tampa 2 defense and the Martz passing offense are both outdated schemes and will finally die once Jauron is fired.

The Martz passing offense?

Jauron's Style? Allow me to sum it up. Laid back, losing is acceptable, play not to lose the game (don't play to win), paralysis by analysis, and extremely predictable and boring. Basically, a career loser... as a player and a coach.

Feel free to add your assessment.

This "Trooth" really hurts. Given a real coach, the Bills would have been playoff bound last year. Any other organization would fire a coach who blew a 5-1 start to finish 7-9 for his third straight year. Ours rewards him. And then gets a shiny trinket named T.O. to distract the fans from the fact that our coach is a born loser and has set this franchise back at least 5 years with questionable drafting, a horrendous offensive scheme and a damaged once-promising QB who was rushed in and poorly handled by a rookie OC and an improper offensive line that sees him get sacked numerous times.

Can't wait until 2010....

This is seriously a brilliant post. It's nice to have fans here that will give an honest assessment of this once prideful team. To me, I see Dick Jauron's coaching style as everything the Buffalo Bills should never be. This is why I am so angry about this man coming back. I just feel like my team has been kidnapped by a man who's core principle is to drain all the fun, passion and excitement out of this team and game that I love so much. Welcome to the board and thank you for this post man.

The DJ-bashing in this thread is sort of misguided. He clearly has a style.

Offensive philosophy: Run the ball, control the clock, don't turn the ball over, let your defense/ST win games

Defensive philosophy: Speed defense; create turnovers

Coaching philosophy: Treat players like men; respect them and they will play hard for you

The problem is in the execution. In some respects, I think our style is no different than a lot of good teams; the difference is that those good teams have great QB's that can make plays to win games, and our QB isn't there yet.

The Tampa 2 works if you have good enough players to make plays without being in an attacking scheme. Therefore you forego the risk of blitzing, but still have playmakers who can create turnovers. The bills unfortunately do not have the playmakers to make the defense effective. I like the scheme, but not so much for the team that is running it currently.

The Martz passing offense?

Steve Fairchild studied under Mike Martz in St Louis for 3 years before he came to Buffalo to be the OC for the Bills, Turk Schonert was the QB coach under Fairchild so when Fairchild left for Colorado last season Schonert was promoted and took over as OC. Didn't you notice that the Bills run the same get your QB killed scheme as the Rams :unsure:

Martz has been fired in St Louis, Detroit,and now SF but his legacy lives on in Buffalo. I suppose it seemed like a good Idea to try and bring a form of the "greatest show on turf" to Buffalo which hasn't seen a high scoring offense since the Jim Kelly K-gun era.

What so many simply don't understand is, that it wasn't just Kurt Warner and the amazing receivers in Issac Bruce and Tory Holt, nor was it that awesome O line with Orlando Pace and Co. What really made that Mike Martz offense so good was Marshall Faulk and the running / pass receiving threat he gave them. I suppose you could say the same thing with that 90's Buffalo team,It wasn't just Kelly,Reed, Kent Hull et al. what helped make them so great was running / pass receiving threat of Thurman Thomas.

This current Bills team as some of the right pieces to become that high powered offense they want to become.They have some good receivers with Owens, Evans and Reed,they have really good RB's in Lynch and Jackson, what they are currently lacking is a blocking TE like Metzalaars and an O line that will give Edwards time to throw. Also, I don't see anyone even close to Kent Hulls ability on the roster.

Offensive philosophy: Run the ball, control the clock, don't turn the ball over, let your defense/ST win games

Coaching philosophy: Treat players like men; respect them and they will play hard for you

The problem is in the execution. In some respects, I think our style is no different than a lot of good teams; the difference is that those good teams have great QB's that can make plays to win games, and our QB isn't there yet.

I'd have to agree... problem lies w/ the QB. Hoping to see that next great stride from TE this year though.

That might have been his "philosophy" in Chicago but it sure isn't even close in Buffalo,haven't you been watching the games? All the Bills did last season is throw the ball out of the shotgun formation and pass even when they should clearly run the ball.

They didn't start using "play action" passing until the Cleveland game. The OC, Turk Schonert had his head up his backside most of the season for calling deep passing plays when the bills O line couldn't give Edwards time to throw. For calling Evans number repeatedly even though Evans was double and triple covered, its why Edwards was always dumping the ball off to Lynch and Jackson.

The problem is in the execution.

Yeah, in the coaching department.

Apparently wasting timeouts is just his way of "controlling the clock".

In some respects, I think our style is no different than a lot of good teams; the difference is that those good teams have great QB's that can make plays to win games, and our QB isn't there yet.

No. Those other teams have coaches know how to execute those philosophies.