A publicly traded team

No I am from western NY, south towns area. And the french eat those vinegary duff wings, drink wimpy pale ales like labatts and the redneck version do zuba swaps with their partners. Real WNYers eat real wings cooked by the mob connections, drink dark /hearty beer and know how to dress in the blizzards that come off the lake.

Where is south towns? Raqueteering is not a pre-requisite for good wings, and "drink a dark beer to cover up the queer" only worked in highschool. Do you want to start counting the beers you drank too? Bills Zubas are still awesome redneck or not. I live in Boston now and I miss upstate NY "rednecks". I've got nothing against parkas but I do have something against a person that tries to act connected, uppity, and too good for a labatts.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you. The time to start grassroots movement is now. I wish someone would have the time and motivation to start this. People can work table at events in and around Buffalo, set up a web site, etc. You can take names and addresses of pledges who would buy X number of shares at X dollars. You can make a goal, some kind of rough balance sheets, a general company constitution, etc.

I think that the local media would prop this movement up big time and I would be confident it could grab the attention of all the players who would like the Bills to be committed to Buffalo (schumer, Kelly, kemp, thomas, golisano, etc).

The time is now to act. Forces are mobilizing to take the team away. We can do something to make it more difficult.

It absolutely is a violation of anti-trust laws. Unfortunately it is up to Congress to take action, since the NFL has an exemption from those laws at the present time.

Where is south towns? Raqueteering is not a pre-requisite for good wings, and "drink a dark beer to cover up the queer" only worked in highschool. Do you want to start counting the beers you drank too? Bills Zubas are still awesome redneck or not. I live in Boston and I miss upstate NY rednecks. I've got nothing against parkas but I do have something against a person that tries to act connected, uppity, and too good for a labatts.

Well considering Buffalo is not in upstate New York, you may enjoy different things. Upstate is to those of us from WNY, anyplace east of syracuse and north of there. You know the ones closest to the french conadians, which crayonz will agree is the worst group of all.

Where is south towns? Raqueteering is not a pre-requisite for good wings, and "drink a dark beer to cover up the queer" only worked in highschool. Do you want to start counting the beers you drank too? Bills Zubas are still awesome redneck or not. I live in Boston now and I miss upstate NY "rednecks". I've got nothing against parkas but I do have something against a person that tries to act connected, uppity, and too good for a labatts.

I guess we should give him a break - he lives in Virginia.

Well considering Buffalo is not in upstate New York, you may enjoy different things. Upstate is to those of us from WNY, anyplace east of syracuse and north of there. You know the ones closest to the french conadians, which crayonz will agree is the worst group of all.

Upstate NY refers to anything west of NY city if you want to be exact about it. Im from Rochester NY and Niagara Falls NY. I would call Niagara Falls 'The Falls' like the rest of us from the Rochester/Buffalo/Niagara Falls area do, but since you are the expert you might think I'm talking about Glenns Falls.

Im still confused as to what the south towns area is, whether or not your g^yness is genetics or personal choice, and how you can manage to trash Labatts, Duffs, and Zubas yet still claim to be a Bills fan?

I agree with you. The time to start grassroots movement is now. I wish someone would have the time and motivation to start this. People can work table at events in and around Buffalo, set up a web site, etc. You can take names and addresses of pledges who would buy X number of shares at X dollars. You can make a goal, some kind of rough balance sheets, a general company constitution, etc.

I think that the local media would prop this movement up big time and I would be confident it could grab the attention of all the players who would like the Bills to be committed to Buffalo (schumer, Kelly, kemp, thomas, golisano, etc).

The time is now to act. Forces are mobilizing to take the team away. We can do something to make it more difficult.

I couldn't agree with you more. Too bad the jackasses that responded were too busy talking about beer and geography and completely ignored your comment. For the record, this was discussed - albeit briefly - in another thread: http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showt...p;#entry1364671. As Orwell said, "if there is a hope it is in the proles." Then he proved there was no hope. But here was my $.02 before:

Look, if the market is working against you, what do you do? Get the government involved. Write Byron Brown, Chuck Shumer, David Patterson (quickly, while he's still in office. Better yet, make him an audio tape (sorry, couldn't resist)), whomever your local Erie County representatives are and get them involved! Work towards getting influential community members involved: Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Danny Wegman, Tom Golisano, Luke Russert; get petitions going, get signatures, make this an issue!! Let the people in charge know that we will not go quietly into the night!

Long time reader, first time poster. I know this topic has been hit on alot, but I do love the idea. If the NFL wants to keep teams in the smaller markets, why not try the Green Bay thing. They could raise plenty of money and it is totally a Buffalo fit. Blue collar town owning the team. BTW I own a sweet pair of original Zubaz, never miss a Duff's # 2 with loganberry when I am back in Buffalo, and dring Labatt all the time.

GO BILLS!

To that point, I wonder if that rule violates their anti-trust status? Are there any lawyers on the board that can comment. If that is the case, we should start the proceedings now. Green Bay should not be the only small market allowed to keep its franchise.

They are granted a special antitrust exemption by Congress and the rule is allowable under this exemption. This is why I started a thread (that was largely ignored :censored: ) a couple of months agao saying that WNY's congressional members and the state legislative bodies (through funding for stadium improvements) would have a lot to say about whether the Bills remain in Buffalo.

Based on the original "Articles of Incorporation for the (then) Green Bay Football Corporation" put into place in 1923, if the Packers franchise were to have been sold, after the payment of all expenses, any remaining money would go to the Sullivan Post of the American Legion in order to build "a proper soldier's memorial." This stipulation was enacted to ensure the club remained in Green Bay and that there could never be any financial enhancement for the shareholders. At the November 1997 annual meeting, shareholders voted to change the beneficiary from the Sullivan-Wallen Post to the Green Bay Packers Foundation, which makes donations to many charities and institutions throughout Wisconsin.

In 1950, the Packers held a stock sale to again raise money to support the team. In 1956, area voters approved the construction of a new city owned stadium. As with its predecessor, the new field was named City Stadium, but after the death of founder Lambeau in 1965, on September 11, 1965, the stadium was renamed Lambeau Field.

Another stock sale occurred late in 1997 and early in 1998. It added 105,989 new shareholders and raised over $24 million, money used for the Lambeau Field redevelopment project. Priced at $200 per share, fans bought 120,010 shares during the 17-week sale, which ended March 16, 1998. As of June 8, 2005, 112,015 people (representing 4,750,934 shares) can lay claim to a franchise ownership interest. Shares of stock include voting rights, but the redemption price is minimal, no dividends are ever paid, the stock cannot appreciate in value - though private sales often exceed the face value of the stock, and stock ownership brings no season ticket privileges. No shareholder may own over 200,000 shares, a safeguard to ensure that no individual can assume control of the club. To run the corporation, a board of directors is elected by the stockholders. The board of directors in turn elect a seven-member Executive Committee (officers) of the corporation, consisting of a president, vice president, treasurer, secretary and three members-at-large. The president is the only officer to draw compensation; the rest of the committee is sitting "gratis."

The team's elected president represents the Packers in NFL

Upstate NY refers to anything west of NY city if you want to be exact about it. Im from Rochester NY and Niagara Falls NY. I would call Niagara Falls 'The Falls' like the rest of us from the Rochester/Buffalo/Niagara Falls area do, but since you are the expert you might think I'm talking about Glenns Falls.

Im still confused as to what the south towns area is, whether or not your g^yness is genetics or personal choice, and how you can manage to trash Labatts, Duffs, and Zubas yet still claim to be a Bills fan?

I grew up south of Buffalo, north of the PA line. Noone from WNY calls themselves upstaters. Only NYC folks and non-new yorkers do. the area from rochester to syracuse has traditionally been called central NY, east and north of syracuse has traditionally been called upstate. rochester and west is WNY.

And trust me, La nova gets best wings in buffalo almost every year, because they are the best wings in buffalo. brador is a molson beer which is very good, not a miller wanna be like labatts splits which I drank as a teenager along with genny cream because they were cheap.

Seems to me you are the one not of that region.

I couldn't agree with you more. Too bad the jackasses that responded were too busy talking about beer and geography and completely ignored your comment. For the record, this was discussed - albeit briefly - in another thread: http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showt...p;#entry1364671. As Orwell said, "if there is a hope it is in the proles." Then he proved there was no hope. But here was my $.02 before:

Yes, I would like people in the area to hold the public leaders accountable for this and make sure they are going to bat for us. Let them know votes are depending on what happens with the Bills.

It would be better if we had a rough sketch of structure, a monstrous list of shares people pledged to buy, and public support. That would give the politicians legs to use, and give the NFL a rough time to not consider the options.

I believe Tim Russert's son wrote an auguement to allow the Bills to stay threw publicly traded shares on ESPN last year. Sorry no linky.

On a completely separate topic...does Tim Russert's son have a name, or is he exclusively known as "Tim Russert's

son"?