Toronto trying to get more games from Buffalo

You may not want to hear this but you still get to go to home games. I am in California. I have to pay out my A$$ to go to a home game, which is the reason I have never been to one. Seeing just one Bills home game is a dream for me. You know, one of those "Before I die" dreams. In the meantime I have to risk my life and go see the Bills play the Raiders in Oakland, or travel across the bay to San Francisco. The last time I got to see the Bills play was the 41-7 stomping of the niners.

I understand your frustration, but you still have it good. I personally don't care what the Bills do as long as they start being more competitive. If that means moving a couple of games to Toronto then so be it. I just want to see results, and if I see those results then great. If not, then it would be time to re-think their strategy. With that said, when you look at the Bills statement, I don't think they are going to move any more games to Toronto.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It won't just be up to Ralph. Erie County and the NFL Owners will have to approve it, as well. I think that might be more difficult than you are willing to believe.

Wild hunch on your part? I'd like to see the hard evidence that Erie County or the NFL will block Wilson from adding more games in Toronto.

Wild hunch on your part? I'd like to see the hard evidence that Erie County or the NFL will block Wilson from adding more games in Toronto.

I'm GUESSING we will have some statements from Erie County officials in the next day, or so, that suggest they might have an issue with this. Stay tuned.

Guest dog14787
Evidence?

If Dean posted it, I'm calling it evidence, but it seems like Lori may have posted something earlier in the thread that stated as much If I remember correctly.

Besides, I doubt you can lift a finger when it comes to something that could hurt the integrity of the game or put one owner at an advantage over the other owners and that shouldn't surprise you.

We could make arrangements to play all of our home games in Hawaii and possibly make a real good profit doing it, but then all the rest of the owners would feel cheated and say doggonit, why didn't I think of that so I'm sure there's rules about changing the playing format. Not only that, another team is involved with going out of the country and I'm assuming they also have to agree.

Understand I am not suggesting it won't, or can't, happen. I'm just clarifying that it isn't simply up to Ralph.

And, if I'm Goodell. I'm none too happy about the research stunt they just pulled.

Coincidentally, Goodell meets with the PFWA -- including Tim Graham -- today.

You know something you're not telling Lori? <_<

BTW, when is the lease up? I'm thinking there's only a few years left, if that.

No inside knowledge here, just county exec Collins' statements that they tried to begin negotiations, and received no response from the team. And the lease ends following the 2012 season -- July 31, 2013, to be precise, according to a draft version linked below -- the same year as the Toronto deal. More coincidence, eh?

http://www.erie.gov/billslease/index.phtml

No inside knowledge here, just county exec Collins' statements that they tried to begin negotiations, and received no response from the team. And the lease ends following the 2012 season -- July 31, 2013, to be precise, according to a draft version linked below -- the same year as the Toronto deal. More coincidence, eh?

http://www.erie.gov/billslease/index.phtml

Then again, if the Mayan calendar is correct, we won't have to worry about a thing..

http://endworld2012.com/

Of course, if this happens, our playoff legacy in the hereafter will be the Music City Debacle..

W shall see. What i am saying these smart people, not a Santa Claus fund of playing with money just to see if it works. The notion of Bills games in Toronto, clearly they overestimated as to how much they could charge for tickets and corporate hunger for visibility. Not to be wise but any given Sunday and almost every game folks grumble about costs and on field product coming out of the Ralph and this Wall. No doubt lasts years game was as boring as you are going to see, the ticket prices and, the notion of being used as secondary money source for another cities team insulting, these issues in marketing they will need resolve. I am not privy to the changes they intend but there will be changes. Its not if there will be changes , of course there will be. My guess is in time they will be marketing the Bills as being equally Toronto's and Buffalo's.

Its my sense in reading the posts folks of peoples anger and wanting to assure themselves this just will not work, there are enough things around not going so well, the notion of more games in Toronto hardly a welcome one.

What i am saying hardly a profound premise , its about the money, forget if it be right or wrong or even fair.

Its serves no real purpose to try and convince yourselves that Toronto cannot or will not support a team. Southern Ontario composed of people much similar to western new york, who from birth follow sport from baseball, to hockey to football and many others. Hardly is it new.

Just don't see whoever owns team as standing up and saying we appreciate local Bills fans of Buffalo and we will not profit more by going to another city for games because it upsets our local fan base. They will simply say its needed to keep team in Buffalo. Looking at one year in the picture as evidence of anything other than a group that severely miscalculated how they could impose their economic will simply faulty.

-again, non of this would be my desire. it just my opinion, in the end its about the money.

will be interesting to re-visit this thread in a few years...

I was there in December, remember? I saw the scalpers begging people to buy tickets at a deep discount off face price outside, and the empty swaths in the allegedly-sold-out stadium. I watched people leave in the third quarter, grumbling about the cost of the tickets as well as the crappy on-field product. The Rogers Group people may not be buffoons and bumpkins, but if they're sticking to the business model they used last year, they surely must think their potential customers are.

My 2 cents on this survey.....

Its just a survey ...does not mean it will happen

But the fact that they are even considering it concerns me

This is a slap in the face to long-time Bills fans losing one game is bad enough

But having said that....

If I was Ralph I would demand that the field be replaced so they can open up the dome during Dec when the game(s) would be played.

Seeing the skydome during the game would be great

This would also keep the cold weather advantage we lost during that terrible Miami game last year

If you are going to have games in Toronto we must keep the cold weather advantage

Otherwise it would not be a Bills home game

originally I thought that the Toronto series was Ralph's way of ensuring the Bills stay until the end of the 2012 season. If he wasn't around, the team had not only a lease in WNY, but ALSO a pre-paid agreement with Toronto, making a move doubly difficult.

Now, I am not so sure. It looks much MORE like the powers that be want to move the team there full-time.

I would rather they go to LA, so nobody can even try the PR line of "still in our region...."

originally I thought that the Toronto series was Ralph's way of ensuring the Bills stay until the end of the 2012 season. If he wasn't around, the team had not only a lease in WNY, but ALSO a pre-paid agreement with Toronto, making a move doubly difficult.

Now, I am not so sure. It looks much MORE like the powers that be want to move the team there full-time.

I would rather they go to LA, so nobody can even try the PR line of "still in our region...."

Man, you put a lot of weight on a survey. <_<

At least if they go to LA, the games will not be blacked-out (sigh)...and don't be surprised how easy a lease or contract can be broken, especially if there is a change in ownership.

I'm more concerned at having to print GameDay magazine in both English and French...

link

90 home* games in a row attend since getting season tickets in 2000.

* home games includes pre-season and Toronto

Just because you call a turd a Home Game doesn't make it smell any better. A Home Game should as a minimum be one that your hometown fans can easily attend and where you can expect a 12th man advantage. Not one where your name is spray painted on the field and you get to wear home colors.

Maybe we should move our Home Game against the Pats to Boston. The ticket prices would likely exceed those in Toronto, it would be a sellout (in both senses of the word) and you'd create an even more select group that could brag about making all the Home Games.

If the Bills and their Toronto cohorts can convince others to think like this the team will move.

(and it's attended not attend, preferably placed before the 90)

Guest dog14787
Just because you call a turd a Home Game doesn't make it smell any better. A Home Game should as a minimum be one that your hometown fans can easily attend and where you can expect a 12th man advantage. Not one where your name is spray painted on the field and you get to wear home colors.

Maybe we should move our Home Game against the Pats to Boston. The ticket prices would likely exceed those in Toronto, it would be a sellout (in both senses of the word) and you'd create an even more select group that could brag about making all the Home Games.

If the Bills and their Toronto cohorts can convince others to think like this the team will move.

(and it's attended not attend, preferably placed before the 90)

Maybe we should build a new stadium closer to the Canadian border near the Falls. Its just a few miles outside of Buffalo so all the locals will be happy and its closer to Canada so we can cater to our Canadian counterparts.

In my opinion its a brilliant plan and although its only speculation on my part it wouldn't surprise me at all if Ralph Wilson is up to something big and is about to apply the finishing touches on his masterpiece of lifetime achievements.

The small move that makes the Buffalo Bills safe and secure forever... :thumbdown:

this just validates the fact that this 5 year deal is a gradual progression to move the team to Toronto.

The time to fight this is now, anyone with clout who wants the Bills to stay.

Write your elected officials. Let them know how you feel.