Don't tell me CNN isn't biased

So today the market is down 122 points.

What is the headline on CNN? Not stocks down 1.5%. Not stocks hammered.

But "Stocks: Second straight week of gains"

Again, 2 months ago, 6 months ago, 8 years ago, if that happened after the hammering it's taken that would not have been the headline on CNN, MSNBC etc...

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought CNN was biased to the republican side. I'll have to dig up some examples of that one of these days. I'm not in the mood right now.

Depends on the situation:

During an election CNN tends to bias towards Democrats

After the election? They suck up to whoever won

I always thought CNN was biased to the republican side. I'll have to dig up some examples of that one of these days. I'm not in the mood right now.

I always thought they were overly biased to the democrats. I never really noticed however until the Bush-Kerry election where the panel on election night was basically praying for Kerry to win. I'd never seen such unprofessional journalism before and just left a horrible taste in my mouth. They are basically Fox News...just for the other side.

:thumbsup:

CNN's one of the more even-handed American news outlets...but they definitely lean a bit to the left.

So today the market is down 122 points.

What is the headline on CNN? Not stocks down 1.5%. Not stocks hammered.

But "Stocks: Second straight week of gains"

Again, 2 months ago, 6 months ago, 8 years ago, if that happened after the hammering it's taken that would not have been the headline on CNN, MSNBC etc...

Fail.

The leadoff line in the article is "Stocks managed gains for the second week in a row despite tumbling Friday, as investors pulled back after the recent run." [emphasis mine].

Wow, those commie bastards almost just admitted how much they wish they could pick VA Bills's pocket and give the $$$ to ACORN to fund sub-prime crack house development. :thumbsup:

CNN's aftermarket FRIDAY business headline almost always summarizes the WEEKLY stock market movement. Whether it's up or down. And often puts it in context (down for 3rd week in a row, up for 2nd, whatever).

Finally, in the context of the wild swings of the past 6 months or so, 122 pts on the DOW is hardly a "hammering". More like a faint tapping.

CNN's one of the more even-handed American news outlets...but they definitely lean a bit to the left.

They definitely are somewhat to the left in many ways, but none of them include their weekly market recap.

That's like the idiot from some minority rights advocacy group (could have been NAACP, but I'm not certain) a few years ago who was complaining about the "racism" in Hollywood because films include things like black cats, yellow taxi cabs and red firetrucks. :thumbsup:

I always thought they were overly biased to the democrats. I never really noticed however until the Bush-Kerry election where the panel on election night was basically praying for Kerry to win. I'd never seen such unprofessional journalism before and just left a horrible taste in my mouth. They are basically Fox News...just for the other side.

The worst example I ever saw was when Bush was about to win the 2004 election, either Brokaw or Russert said to the other "this doesn't look good for us does it?" and the other replied "no it doesn't" and they both laughed.

I think the point is that there was a net gain.

However I will admit that when I was running thru the airport yesterday and just saw the headline I expected to see that the Dow closed up again yesterday and was somewhat surprised at the drop.

However I don't see this as much leaning one way or another as just another stupid media outlet's stupid headlines that are designed to grab attention instead of conveying news. That is why it's important to read the article instead of assumign the contents based on a headline.

The worst example I ever saw was when Bush was about to win the 2004 election, either Brokaw or Russert said to the other "this doesn't look good for us does it?" and the other replied "no it doesn't" and they both laughed.

I think they were talking about the fact the network had already called the election for Gore and now they will look bad because they got it wrong, not because they wanted one side to win.

Not that NBC doesn't lean pretty far left, although Russert was amongst the most non-political political observers in decades. You just used a bad example.

CNN is easily the most fair, compared to the others, and clearly leans a little left.

I think they were talking about the fact the network had already called the election for Gore and now they will look bad because they got it wrong, not because they wanted one side to win.

Not that NBC doesn't lean pretty far left, although Russert was amongst the most non-political political observers in decades. You just used a bad example.

CNN is easily the most fair, compared to the others, and clearly leans a little left.

CNN has moved closer to the middle, though for years they leaned pretty hard to the left. Don't forget that John King still works for the network...

:thumbsup:

Everything so-called "even-handed" leans to the left... No denying it. If you lean to the right, one is down right looney. :worthy:

Now... Of course say, NPR leans to the left. Name one outlet on the right that can present what NPR does and the quality of information NPR puts out.

That left leaning is the product of the "congealing" of news outlets after the introduction of radio and then TV almost a century ago (radio)... The news media had to balance itself and those times to the left.

No disputing it, the intellectual side leans to the left, the looney to the right.

:devil:0:)

Now... Of course say, NPR leans to the left. Name one outlet on the right that can present what NPR does and the quality of information NPR puts out.

I would have said the Wall Street Journal, before Murdoch bought it.

This was 2004. Coincidently Russert was in NYC for election coverage and joined us/NYCBBB to watch the Bills game at McFadden's only 2 days before.

No disputing it, the intellectual side leans to the left, the looney to the right.

Quoted for truth.

And the thing is .. to succeed in broadcasting you have to have an intellect, so naturally all media would lean left. The only time a smart person in media doesn't lean left is when they are paid $10 million a year like Bill O'Reilly or Sean Hannity. At that point a man is willing to say whatever needs to be said to keep getting paid, who cares about dignity or telling the truth?

.. and I'll put Olbermann in that bucket also. The dude is clearly biased and clearly distorts data from time to time. I've said before that the guy might as well be a republican. Even so, his salary is less half of Bill O'Reilly's.

I would have said the Wall Street Journal, before Murdoch bought it.

The ownership change concerns me still but as a long time WSJ reader, I haven't seen much change. The Opinion page has hammered Obama/Geiner/Bernake consistently on their economic plans but that's deserved and would be the case no matter who owned it.

Anyone who proposes that NPR is non-biased is on crack. I listen because they often have interesting stories but they are painfully, ear-bleedingly biased. Listening to NPR on election night 2004, my wife and I thought Kerry was pulling the upset. Then we switched to CNN's radio feed and CNN had already called the election for Bush. Just one example (of many).