Alex Mack bench press

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills will not take a C before the fourth round if their aggravating history is any guide. They seem to think this position is unnecessary and that JAG will be ok. It's infuriating to me. Centers are responsible for line calls they have to be able to snap the ball and get up into a DL's pads in one move. They have to protect the shortest distance for a DL to the QB.

I completely agree and this is why they have been horrific for 10 years

Leif Larsen? I dont remember him too much.? Did he have a very good career in college. As far as Raji pushing him around. If i rember correctly Mack looked a lot better in team drills then he did one on one. This is usually the case becasue very seldom is a center not recieving some form of help from a gaurd. Whether it is a chip block or a straight up double team. I am by no means suggesting the Bills take Mack late in the first or with their second pick. I would rather see a true gaurd in the second like Duke Robinson(who the Bills had the Oline coach scout at his proday last week).

Leif Larsen? I dont remember him too much.? Did he have a very good career in college. As far as Raji pushing him around. If i rember correctly Mack looked a lot better in team drills then he did one on one. This is usually the case becasue very seldom is a center not recieving some form of help from a gaurd. Whether it is a chip block or a straight up double team. I am by no means suggesting the Bills take Mack late in the first or with their second pick. I would rather see a true gaurd in the second like Duke Robinson(who the Bills had the Oline coach scout at his proday last week).

Larson was picked simply because of his bench pressing skills.

Totally useless metric.

The Bills will not take a C before the fourth round if their aggravating history is any guide.

The Bills will never sign T.O. if history is any guide...

Time to start rethinking what we will or won't do as they have clearly thrown the book out...

Leif Larsen bench pressed 225 51 times and he had a GREAT career with the Bills....

This is true. Knew a guy who played with Leif Larsen on UTEP and he told me that he was putting them up- 48, 49, 50 and could have kept going but didn't want to draw too much attention to himself. Being the naive young weightlifter I was at the time, I asked him, "what kind of supplements was he using?" And he looked at me like I was a complete idiot and said, "what the hell do you think?" So there you have it.

Larsen was basically a 6'5'' 300 lb Norwegian Beast. He didn't start playing football until his Junior year of College and in the two years he was there he had somewhere in the 15-20 sack range. The Bills used a late round pick on him as a potential project player. He spent 2 seasons with the Bills, having 2 sacks in 15 games and was primarily used on Special Teams. He holds the NFL combine record for bench presses at 45. Did 51 at UTEP. He claims his best was 57. Now he is a boxer in Norway 10-0-0 (8 KO's)...

Great senior bowl? I seem to recall reading that he was pushed all over the field by Raji in practice. Would not take this guy in the first two rounds.

In one-on-one drills, Mack was the only OL that could stalemate or beat Raji in practice at a reasonable rate. Those drills greatly favor the DL and are not terribly representative of real football -- in a real game, there are actual plays being run, interior lineman are not "on an island", and defenders have responsibilities.

I think Mack is going to be a stud in the NFL for a long time. Too bad the Bills went the "Melvin Fowler Special, Part 2" route -- signing some other team's backup with a few snaps under his belt -- to try and address a glaring eye-sore that they suffered with at the C position the last couple of years. I'm sure the kid they signed is a boyscout and a smart guy, but ... welcome to the murder's row of the AFC East.

Larson was picked simply because of his bench pressing skills.

Totally useless metric.

It is not a totally usless metric. In the case of Larsen, he was a better World's Strongest Man competitor than football player. But if you get an offensive lineman doing less than 20 reps, you should be worried about how he will hold up against the likes of Wilfork, Ferguson and Jenkins. It can be very useful.

Excellent. With any luck he'll get a college education for free. Is he playing any sports?

Wrestling and football. But unlike his older brother who had a mean streak he`s alittle laid back. He was the stongest kid on the 9th grade team including the lineman,but he didn`t really get much of a chance. He`s a hb,flanker on O He plays cb on D. His brother won numerous awards in football and wrestling and he hasn`t done much . He`s agood kid and a A student but he holds back alittle in sports.

Wrestling and football. But unlike his older brother who had a mean streak he`s alittle laid back. He was the stongest kid on the 9th grade team including the lineman,but he didn`t really get much of a chance. He`s a hb,flanker on O He plays cb on D. His brother won numerous awards in football and wrestling and he hasn`t done much . He`s agood kid and a A student but he holds back alittle in sports.

High character just doesn't cut it in the sports world. You need to get him hanging out with the wrong crowd to get that mean streak and then the college scholarship.

Just kidding man, I wish him all the luck in the world. I was the laid back kid during high school sports who didn't get much attention until I was finally given a chance as a senior. Hit .325 that year