Time is running out

I'm getting a bit worried that free agency is waning and the Bills still have major holes to fill. To my way of thinking here's what still needs to be filled (in order of urgency):

Sign Peters. He has Bills over a barrel. They can't afford to open another massive hole on the O-Line.

Sign a starting Guard to take Dockery's place.

Sign a Starting Linebacker.

Sign a DE that can get to the QB.

Sigh a starting TE to take Royal's spot.

Sign a serviceable RB to back up Jackson during Lynch's suspension.

That's six glaring holes. Realistically, the draft can probably fill 2. (That also eliminates the old "Take the best guy on the board" scenario that teams like to operate under. The Bills will surely have to draft for need.)

The T.O. shot in the arm was nice, but it is looking more and more like sugar coating on a sour off-season.

Sign Peters. He has Bills over a barrel. They can't afford to open another massive hole on the O-Line.

Peters has the Bills over a barrel? :censored: They have him locked up for 2 more years...It is the other way around.

RB? Lynch is going to get 2 games at the worst...

I agree with the other holes...

I'm getting a bit worried that free agency is waning and the Bills still have major holes to fill. To my way of thinking here's what still needs to be filled (in order of urgency):

That's six glaring holes. Realistically, the draft can probably fill 2. (That also eliminates the old "Take the best guy on the board" scenario that teams like to operate under. The Bills will surely have to draft for need.)

The T.O. shot in the arm was nice, but it is looking more and more like sugar coating on a sour off-season.

Let's lock up Peters, which I believe we will do before preseason starts.

Sign a LB and Guard would be good, and I'm hoping it will be soon.

DE and TE I would hope that we would address these needs in the draft.

RB, I don't see why we need to

We shouldn't be worried about LB, at least not right now. it is one of the Few positions in FA that has several good ones left. one less now without crowell though.

TE and DE will be addressed in the draft. there just isn't anyone in FA.

G is the one i am worried about the most. but i am glad dockery is gone. it cleans up a lot of the air

If something happens and Peters doesn't work out, then that will be a huge issue im sure. but for right now, he is still on the team

I wouldn't count on anything happening too soon now that all the sure-fire, impact players are off the free-agent market. Now it's just a matter of watching their price go down. You'll see more action around the owners meetings, the draft and the June 1 cuts.

Let's lock up Peters, which I believe we will do before preseason starts.

Sign a LB and Guard would be good, and I'm hoping it will be soon.

DE and TE I would hope that we would address these needs in the draft.

RB, I don't see why we need to

I'm thinking the same thing Magox. It's not really all that bad of a situation. I have a strange feeling we are going Pettigrew with the first pick and DE with the second. The big thing for us is getting Peters signed. If we can't sign him they better get ALOT in compensation.

If the Bills are looking for better players at these two positions than what they have now, it will have to be addressed via a trade or the draft. There is nothing out there in FA to address these positions.

Great post...when I saw Crowell signed with TB i thought the same thing. Crowell would have filled a big hole and he was the best available LB.

Great Bills, you signed TO.....WE are all thrilled...But lets get on with the show....

Too many holes to fill to think the draft will the be the answer. You teased us with TO, but if you dont address the void at OL, DL, TE and LB it will all be for nothing

Well they need to do something. We were all complaining before the T.O. signing and that temporarily keeps us quiet. But if the Bills want to compete this year, they need to sign someone. So far I think the FO is doing a great job keeping us at number four in the AFC East.

I would largely agree with what seems to be the thread consensus so far:

LG and LB are critical needs that should be filled in FA.

DE and TE are big needs as well (and I'd say critical in the case of DE), but I don't see clear-cut upgrades out there in FA. So I'm resigning myself to continued subpar play at those positions while players we draft get up to speed. Hopefully we can get some good players who can contribute in a year or two, but unfortunately we're kind of stuck.

The situation with Peters needs to be resolved, but that seems like a separate issue from getting help at need positions.

I don't see the need for additional help at RB.

Peters has the Bills over a barrel? :censored: They have him locked up for 2 more years...It is the other way around.

RB? Lynch is going to get 2 games at the worst...

I agree with the other holes...

If it plays out like last year and he sits out all of the off-season program and most of camp he's not worth the money he's making now. I thought he was pedestrian at best last year. He needs a full off-season regimen. So, yeah, I think he's got the upper-hand. If the Bills want him on board and not a distraction they need to get him resigned quickly.

another running back is not a glaring hole. Freddy is fine for 1-2 games by himself, he proved it last year. Running back is NOT a need, but a luxury to have another decent one.

Also getting Peters signed is NOT a glaring need. He said hes not holding out this year. He also was not the Peters from the year before, i mean we watched the games we all saw that. If he doesnt want the contract we offer, play better and we'll offer a better one.

OG = neeeeed

OLB = neeeed

pass rushing DE/LB = need

TE / S = possible need based on our front office decisions. Are they high on B Scott (I am)? Are the high on Fine? Or are they not?

Also, pass rushing need could very well be fixed with one thing...a healthy schobel

A healthy schobel makes our line a lot better.

So bills fans relax. We have 2 glaring needs, and possible needs in other areas, just like almost every team in the league. The draft / maybe another free agent will do the trick. we dont have 6 glaring needs.

I wouldn't count on anything happening too soon now that all the sure-fire, impact players are off the free-agent market. Now it's just a matter of watching their price go down. You'll see more action around the owners meetings, the draft and the June 1 cuts.

The June 1st cuts are no longer relevant. Most roster bonuses are due in March and with the cap so high, very few teams have to cut players for cap reasons.

These types of posts have been showing up since a half day into FA. Yes, there are still many holes to fill. But don't you think the Bills brass know that? There haven't been many signings league wide at all recently and there must be a reason for that. Good players do not just sit out there for this long for no reason. I would like to see some moves, but signing someone who sat out there in FA for a couple months will not get me too excited. Even though the cap is higher this year, I still see some more cuts coming from other teams. I do not have any inside information, but I have to believe the Bills will not go into the draft with all these holes. With all the injuries they have had over the past couple years, they should know first hand the importance of depth. Keep some sort of faith and start panicking if there are still this many holes as training camp nears. GO BILLS!!!

I would largely agree with what seems to be the thread consensus so far:

LG and LB are critical needs that should be filled in FA.

DE and TE are big needs as well (and I'd say critical in the case of DE), but I don't see clear-cut upgrades out there in FA. So I'm resigning myself to continued subpar play at those positions while players we draft get up to speed. Hopefully we can get some good players who can contribute in a year or two, but unfortunately we're kind of stuck.

The situation with Peters needs to be resolved, but that seems like a separate issue from getting help at need positions.

I don't see the need for additional help at RB.

I agree with your agreement, EXCEPT RB could very quickly become a dire need. It appears Lynch has gone about his responsibility in his recent off-field issue correctly and will pay some sort of price, via lost time/suspension. The problem is that this is strike 2. Once is an anomaly, twice a coincidence and 3 is a trend. He's now in the precarious position that if ANYTHING happens -DUI, driving on suspended license, forced to punch out an unrulely, antagonistic Pats* fan- virtually anything we all know could happen- and we're in a world-o-sh*t! at RB.

As for Tight End, I want the team to have a viable threat there, but recent history of the team doesn't seem to consider it all that essential.. Too bad. Ingram could still be there for our second pick.

Sign Peters. He has Bills over a barrel. They can't afford to open another massive hole on the O-Line. he's got 2 years on his contract. if they sign him to an extension, great. if they trade him, whatever (pick acquired can be used to address position). if neither of these things happen, he'll still show up and he's still the starting LT.

Sign a starting Guard to take Dockery's place. 2nd round of the draft and sign kendell simmons.

Sign a Starting Linebacker. cato june or freddy keiaho

Sign a DE that can get to the QB. won't find that in free agency. 1st round of the draft.

Sigh a starting TE to take Royal's spot. trade for scheflter. likely cost - 4th or 5th rounder + roster fodder.

Sign a serviceable RB to back up Jackson during Lynch's suspension. sign deshaun foster, ahman green, rudi johnson, deuce mcallister, michael pittman, or jamel white. tons of options.

bills have plenty of options.....the story, like always, is whether they want to do anything about it

The Bills still have time to make moves,before and after the draft. Some of the current high priced vets that are out of work will start to get desperate once it gets closer to training camp.

DE- Jason Taylor- led the NFL in sacks the last 5 years before last years injury, high priced and yet may take a huge cut to keep playing. Also, Ebenezer Ekuban and a host of others, but not nearly any as good as Taylor if he stays healthy.

Jauron doesn't have time for a draft pick to develop into a great pass rusher,which might take 1-3 years. There is no Reggie White - Julius Peppers at #11 so it would make sense to bring in Taylor like they did Owens, a 1-2 year contract.

OLB Cato June - Derrick Brooks

OG Mike Goff- Kendal Simmons-

RB -Warrick Dunn- Deshaun Foster

TE- draft only one tight end really worthy of a 1st round pick and that's Brandon Pettigrew! If your O line isn't the best and you want to make certain your QB will stay upright throughout the game,you need a really good blocking TE.