Derek Fine...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/...yers/18830.html

I think this a relatively decent description of Fine. So far he hasn't proved this wrong...

No, he hasn't proven it wrong. Schoumann either. Have they been given the chance in the offense we have been running? They may not be elite, maybe ever, but there are still more glaring needs on this team.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are missing the underlying truth to why Derek Fine sucks...............

he played at Kansas....fuggin GayHawk :lol:

I don't completely understand the obsession with Scheffler. With two actual weapons at receiver and two running backs that know how to run and catch and two good to better than average slot receivers, isn't there a strong possibility that Derek Fine will be...fine? He should get more opportunities as a check down if nothing else. With Royal gone I would think he would have a decent year for a tight end.

He does not appear to be a deep threat down the middle .. nor has he proven to be a red zone threat. Both of these are considered to be key responsibilities in the modern NFL passing game. The Bills scheme seems to put more weight on blocking though and to your point being a check down receiver.

FWIW, the Bills are reportedly very, very high on Fine. That said, I remember them being high on Tony Kline (another fourth rounder).

Marv was high on Tony Cline (with the Bills from 1995-1997). And down on Moulds. If that tells you anything.

I think Derek Fine is our TE, and he looked good enough to me in limited playing time last year. Certainly we'd all like a proven veteran, but we have far bigger needs. We've GOT TO pick up a pass rushing LDE, which we will do in round #1. I still expect to pick our LG and LOLB in free agency (or trade).

I think Derek Fine is our TE, and he looked good enough to me in limited playing time last year. Certainly we'd all like a proven veteran, but we have far bigger needs. We've GOT TO pick up a pass rushing LDE, which we will do in round #1. I still expect to pick our LG and LOLB in free agency (or trade).

I would guess that you are right on with this, except that it actually might be Schouman that is the #1 since he has a bit more experience. They are probably both going into the season as 1a and 1b. The Bills do need another tight end but they will get one later in the draft (one thats a bit raw) or an undrafted player. This current offensive philosophy does not utilize the tight end position as much as it should, so the point in trading for or drafting one high is pointless. Why spend on a guy that might get 5 touches and 20 yards per game max.

There are FAR too many crucial needs on this team (OLB, DL, DE, OL(2), SS and QB) that it wouldn't surprise me that the Bills draft a QB before they draft a tight end.

I would guess that you are right on with this, except that it actually might be Schouman that is the #1 since he has a bit more experience. They are probably both going into the season as 1a and 1b. The Bills do need another tight end but they will get one later in the draft (one thats a bit raw) or an undrafted player. This current offensive philosophy does not utilize the tight end position as much as it should, so the point in trading for or drafting one high is pointless. Why spend on a guy that might get 5 touches and 20 yards per game max.

There are FAR too many crucial needs on this team (OLB, DL, DE, OL(2), SS and QB) that it wouldn't surprise me that the Bills draft a QB before they draft a tight end.

That's a surprise to me. I agree with all of the defensive needs, but QB didn't cross my mind. Before I totally disagree with it, let me ask you this...are you one of the Trent haters that call him a glove wearing mary, or are you looking at it from an unbiased objective?

That's a surprise to me. I agree with all of the defensive needs, but QB didn't cross my mind. Before I totally disagree with it, let me ask you this...are you one of the Trent haters that call him a glove wearing mary, or are you looking at it from an unbiased objective?

I am not a Trent hater by any means, I just am not sold on him but that's irrelevant to why I think the Bills need a QB. The overall quality and depth at the position is probably worse this upcoming year than it was last year, which really tells you that it is probably a need somewhere in the draft. I hope Trent does well and gets over his inability to figure out how to read a 3-4 and his mental issues about getting the ball downfield when it's necessary.

The point is that the QB position is probably more a need than a TE right now.

I am not a Trent hater by any means, I just am not sold on him but that's irrelevant to why I think the Bills need a QB. The overall quality and depth at the position is probably worse this upcoming year than it was last year, which really tells you that it is probably a need somewhere in the draft. I hope Trent does well and gets over his inability to figure out how to read a 3-4 and his mental issues about getting the ball downfield when it's necessary.

The point is that the QB position is probably more a need than a TE right now.

I agree totally. For that matter, a lot of positions are more of a need than tight end.

I agree totally. For that matter, a lot of positions are more of a need than tight end.

A starting QB we have. A solid starting TE we do not.

Agrre that Trent is still a bit of a mystery, but our depth at QB is no worse than last year. JP's gone, so we won't have to cringe as much when Trent goes down.

A starting QB we have. A solid starting TE we do not.

Agrre that Trent is still a bit of a mystery, but our depth at QB is no worse than last year. JP's gone, so we won't have to cringe as much when Trent goes down.

I have to disagree. With still an unproven starter in Trent (and yes, after his jekyll and hyde perfomances last year) he is still a mystery, Fitzpatrick is nothing more than a journeyman and a disaster QB at best and Hamden who is the best at the position for carrying a clipboard. QB is a very needed position this year. Not top pick unless Stafford were to fall but something to look at in rounds 3-5. There are some pretty decent QB's out there and not a lot of teams have the need there. Still, drafting one ahead of a TE is likely.

We need a good/great TE. If it's Fine, fine. If it's a trade/FA/draft pick, fine.

But please understand: there is no higher priority this year than both us, and the rest of the league, KNOWING we have a good/great TE. Not even DE is more important. This offense improves 80-100% with a great TE.

I have always looked at Edwards as similar to Troy Aikman in terms of style of play, and potential. Aikman made his living/saved his own life throwing to Jay Novacek, not Michale Irvin. The entire K-Gun was premised on the TE position, and forcing a defense to cover your TE, thereby allowing Thomas and the WRs to get open consistently. The Pats* have been killing us for years throwing late in the play to the TE. The best Os in the league today: Pats*, Colts, Chargers, Steelers, etc. all use the TE extensively.

If nothing else a great TE moving down the field creates space behind him for the RB to make nice, easy, 6 yard, catch the ball and hit the ground(or in Lynch's case, drag the first tackler for 4 yards and the 1st) play. That will be open 80% of the time if they are respecting your TE, and it makes for a great outlet if the pocket starts to die.

I dont believe the Bills will be getting anywhere near a QB in this draft to be any threat. They have Trance Checkwards as their guy now. And Fitz to back him up once he gets his bell rung again (which will most likely happen). Fitz is everything they are looking for in a back-up at this point. If they think this year is it for Trent to make or break it and if he doesnt make it they will not have jobs next year. So worrying about who is going to start at QB next year will not even be an issue for Tricky Dicky. If you want my honest opinion they will take the young UB kid (since he is a hometown favorite) late in the draft. Round 6 or 7.

We need a good/great TE. If it's Fine, fine. If it's a trade/FA/draft pick, fine.

But please understand: there is no higher priority this year than both us, and the rest of the league, KNOWING we have a good/great TE. Not even DE is more important. This offense improves 80-100% with a great TE.

I have always looked at Edwards as similar to Troy Aikman in terms of style of play, and potential. Aikman made his living/saved his own life throwing to Jay Novacek, not Michale Irvin. The entire K-Gun was premised on the TE position, and forcing a defense to cover your TE, thereby allowing Thomas and the WRs to get open consistently. The Pats* have been killing us for years throwing late in the play to the TE. The best Os in the league today: Pats*, Colts, Chargers, Steelers, etc. all use the TE extensively.

If nothing else a great TE moving down the field creates space behind him for the RB to make nice, easy, 6 yard, catch the ball and hit the ground(or in Lynch's case, drag the first tackler for 4 yards and the 1st) play. That will be open 80% of the time if they are respecting your TE, and it makes for a great outlet if the pocket starts to die.

Wow, an unusually thoughtful post. I don't recall seeing a lot of these. Well done. And I love the avatar.