Why is no one talking about Robert Ayers at #11?

Mike Mayock has Robert Ayers in his top 20 and he clearly is not going to be there in the second round. He has a real NFL body unlike Brown and Maybin. Seems to me the guy is what we've all been looking for...

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090223...329/1002/SPORTS

Yeah, let's pick a guy @ #11 that didn't even reach double digits in sacks in 4 years of college (9 Total) when we're looking for a person who can consistently pressure the QB. :thumbsup:

Yeah, let's pick a guy @ #11 that didn't even reach double digits in sacks in 4 years of college (9 Total) when we're looking for a person who can consistently pressure the QB. :thumbsup:

Maybe he can rush the passer . the problem is that he never has.

I have been talking about him since the Senior Bowl and think he is going to be an excellent pick. The Bills should think about him at 11, he looks more NFL ready than most of the others and is a good fit for the 4-3 end position. Personally I do not like Maybin for the Bills.

No offense to your personal intelligence bruh, but that makes absolutely no sense. Are you trying to say that they told him not to go after the QB only to push people around and make tackles when they run the ball :thumbsup:

I suppose its possible that he'll turn into a guy who posts 8-10 sacks per year in the NFL, but in almost all cases, if a DE can't get to the QB in college, he won't do it in the NFL, either. Perhaps Ayers is an exception, but the odds are definitely against him.

I wouldn't draft him before the 2nd round, at the earliest.

maybin has super long arms, an explosive first step, and is very very quick to react off the snap. he's got the base ingredients to rush the passer. not saying he is for certain the best guy at it this draft, but i won't be mad if we get him at 11.

I suppose its possible that he'll turn into a guy who posts 8-10 sacks per year in the NFL, but in almost all cases, if a DE can't get to the QB in college, he won't do it in the NFL, either. Perhaps Ayers is an exception, but the odds are definitely against him.

I wouldn't draft him before the 2nd round, at the earliest.

I give him a better shot at having success at the next level as a DE than I do the undersized DEs like Brown and Maybin. It looks as if this guy might be a classic late bloomer in terms of maturity on and off the field. He had a great senior bowl week, did great at the combine, did not rest on his laurels and backed up the numbers at the Vol's pro day. The guy has a classic DE's NFL body. If the Pats can draft a Vol higher than expected (Mayo) last year and have great success, why should the Bills go chalk and draft a guy that will get tossed around at the next level. The Bills need to start getting bigger on defense and Ayers looks like the perfect fit. Do I wish he had more sacks? Yes, but I think he is just scratching the surface on what he can do. It just could be that Ayers should be considered as the better option than the small DE's that have been discussed as potential Bills picks at #11. Look at what the Giants DEs did with Tom Brady in the Superbowl, those guys are not of the wispy DE variety, they are of the BIG DE variety.

I respect your opinion H20, but Ayers looks pretty damn good. It does concern me that he only got 3 sacks in his entire senior season. After doing more reading on Ayers, I think there is a reality that doesn't fit the 3 sack total he had his senior season.

I don't know if I would get him at the #11, and to tell you the truth, It wouldn't bother the hell out of me if we did draft him at that spot, But I definitely would seriously consider trying to trade back into the latter half of the first round if he is stil there to get him.

http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2009/feb/22...k-keeps-rising/

Just on a side note, he dominated big Andre Smith out of Alabama when they played, and he dominated Michael Oher at the senior bowl in 1 on 1 drills.

Contrary to what many people believe, they say he has an explosive first step.

I'd rather have Ayers than Michael Johnson or Maybin, that's for sure.

No offense to your personal intelligence bruh, but that makes absolutely no sense. Are you trying to say that they told him not to go after the QB only to push people around and make tackles when they run the ball :thumbsup:

No I am just saying he has not done it effectively. He does not have that great fist step. The Bills already have De's who fail to get pressure why would you add another. It is possible that he can do it but he never has done it.

If that is dumb than I am pretty dumb!

Ayers ate OL alive at the combine. His upside is enormous, he's also something like 6'3" 270 lbs - much more stout than Maybin or Brown

The downside or rather, the question about him is why did he only start his senior season?

I would rather see us draft this guy or Rey Maluga (sp) the MLB from USC at 11 than some of these other guys.

Thank you. Finally someone with some sense.

Ayers ate OL alive at the combine. His upside is enormous, he's also something like 6'3" 270 lbs - much more stout than Maybin or Brown

Too bad he didn't eat anyone alive with his three sacks this past season.

No I am just saying he has not done it effectively. He does not have that great fist step. The Bills already have De's who fail to get pressure why would you add another. It is possible that he can do it but he never has done it.

If that is dumb than I am pretty dumb!

I didn't understand what you were trying to say I guess. Sorry :thumbsup:

Why is no one talking about him at #11? Um, simply beacuse he is not worthy of the #11 pick...

OK douche, please tell us who you deem as being "worthy" of the #11 pick and it must be someone who has a reasonable chance of being there when we pick...

I give him a better shot at having success at the next level as a DE than I do the undersized DEs like Brown and Maybin. It looks as if this guy might be a classic late bloomer in terms of maturity on and off the field. He had a great senior bowl week, did great at the combine, did not rest on his laurels and backed up the numbers at the Vol's pro day. The guy has a classic DE's NFL body. If the Pats can draft a Vol higher than expected (Mayo) last year and have great success, why should the Bills go chalk and draft a guy that will get tossed around at the next level. The Bills need to start getting bigger on defense and Ayers looks like the perfect fit. Do I wish he had more sacks? Yes, but I think he is just scratching the surface on what he can do. It just could be that Ayers should be considered as the better option than the small DE's that have been discussed as potential Bills picks at #11. Look at what the Giants DEs did with Tom Brady in the Superbowl, those guys are not of the wispy DE variety, they are of the BIG DE variety.

He may well end up being better than Brown, Maybin or Orakpo. From top to bottom, I don't really like this DE class very much. For my part, I think its extremely unlikely that Ayers ever becomes more than an ordinary pass rusher in the NFL and if size/strength are the priority at DE, I'd rather just take Tyson Jackson at 11. I think he'll be at least as good of a pass rusher in the NFL as Ayers, while being an immovable object in the running game.