Alabama Offensive Tackle Andre Smith

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is topical because there was a small movement of people who were amenable to the Bills drafting him at #11, especially with the pending Jason Peters situation.

Anyways here's the link. His Pro Day was an unqualified disaster.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/11/...millions-today/

I can admit when I'm wrong. After reading this, I wouldn't take Andre Smith with our 3rd rounder.

If the money won't motivate him to be in shape, what would?

And that's pretty much the only question that needs to be asked, isn't it?

As I said a couple weeks back during the combine, if a GM can't trust the guy to keep his sh-- together for four months leading up to the biggest payday of his life, how could that same GM ever trust him to act responsibly once he gets that big check and for the next 10-12 years?

Obviously, you can't.

Long Arms doesn't correlate well with Bench Press, 19 is disappointing but not horrible. I'd rather have a guy with 1.5 inch longer arms than someone who can do ten more reps on the Bench. Measuring his forty is ridiculous all that shows is how much effort he has put into training for it but seriously the only time Coaches should be looking at his TEN, and short Shuttle times from an evaluation standpoint.

Watch the tape this guy can play, I watched a lot of Alabama and he was a force to be reckoned with. Tape wise by far the best OT in the draft. Obviously his issue is motivation and drive who knows what will happen once you guarantee him a bunch of money, but I wouldn't rule out drafting just yet. He is a force of nature. I think they key here is to return to Andre Smith and have an individual workout with him, and flush out things in the interview process.

I would not take him off the Bills draft board after his pro day

Watch the tape this guy can play, I watched a lot of Alabama and he was a force to be reckoned with. Tape wise by far the best OT in the draft. Obviously his issue is motivation and drive who knows what will happen once you guarantee him a bunch of money, but I wouldn't rule out drafting just yet. He is a force of nature. I think they key here is to return to Andre Smith and have an individual workout with him, and flush out things in the interview process.

I would not take him off the Bills draft board after his pro day

He was very productive on the field. But I also saw the interview with him on NFLNetwork. He does seem immature. Just a kid. But still how can you be so cavalier and unprepared for these career-changing events?

By the way since seeing Robert Ayers for the first time last night on Youtube, I really love the guy. If you just watch the video instead of getting hung up on his stats, he's very impressive. There's lots of video of the Alabama-Tennessee game and the reason I bring this up is because Ayers was more than Andre Smith could handle in the (admittedly) few plays I saw them going mano-a-mano. He was too quick and explosive for Smith.

I'd take him in the 2nd round, and wouldn't blink, he played in the SEC against good players week after week and dominated, so what if he isn't the workout warrior that D'Brick was, he could play Guard week one in the NFL

I'd take him in the 2nd round, and wouldn't blink, he played in the SEC against good players week after week and dominated, so what if he isn't the workout warrior that D'Brick was, he could play Guard week one in the NFL

Not to bash you, but if he lasts to the 2nd round, I'll become a phins fan. No matter how bad he does in pre-draft workouts, he will be drafted early based on potential and past achievements. I don't know if this is true, but I have heard Coach Saban compare Smith to whale guts..."He's lazy, but has loads of potential." And if he can play better than he has in just about every college game he played in, then that's just scary.

Potential is a scary word. On one hand it means you have shown you can perform but on the other it means you lack the ability to do so consistantly. He is a fool. Even in my early 20s if someone told me all you have to do is put on a good show over the next three months and you will make 50 million dollars. Any you guys out there wouldnt be able to do that? I am sorry, do you want a guy like that on your team. He played lazy at Bama some times,just listen to Saban, others he was a monster. He was suspended in the Bowl game, which hurt his team and they lost. Not solely because him, but they could not stop Utahs vaunted blitz packages(joke). So what makes us think he is gonna change? If he is that unintelligent to grasp how he is hurting himself, what makes us think he will make good decisions once in the League. No thanks. Pass!