Edwards Arm Strength

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No you're not; once again you're just judging statistics.

If you'd ever played the game you'd realize that quoting a bunch of statistics has nothing to do with what actually happens on the field. Accuracy is about putting the ball where it needs to be, not about what percentage of passes are completed in a particular offense. If you were actually judging on-field performance instead of parroting meaningless stats you'd understand that Edwards has shown a very high degree of accuracy throughout most of his brief career.

and anyone that has watched him quarterback can see that any throw of a long distance travels like a rainbow, as opposed to a low arc. hence the questions about his arm strength.

To me this is a non issue.....

Trend Edwards has a very accuarate and strong intermediate field arm with a quick release.......he will NEVER be the QB that looks to throw bombs all day long which is why he needs a big physical wideout (check) to going along with a good pass catching TE (hopefully in the draft) Lee stretches the field and we can really open up things underneath with play action bombs every once in a while......

We just need to make sure he has consistant protection.....

TE wont be a bombs away QB necause he doesnt have the arm for it. He gets the ball there OK on medium range passes. So he can do well in the league.The farthest ball Ive seen him throw was about 58 yds in the air---which many 8th or 9th graders can do. But Fran Tarkenton and Johnny U didnt have big arms either.TEs arm strength is sufficient to play in the NFL.

TE wont be a bombs away QB necause he doesnt have the arm for it. He gets the ball there OK on medium range passes. So he can do well in the league.The farthest ball Ive seen him throw was about 58 yds in the air---which many 8th or 9th graders can do. But Fran Tarkenton and Johnny U didnt have big arms either.TEs arm strength is sufficient to play in the NFL.

Tcali....isnt that what I just said..... :(

What I like about Trent Edwards throws is his release.......

He doesn't require a long setup to get the ball out he flicks that ball out of there quickly and he is accurate......he does not have a cannon.....

But I have this theory about QB's and I really haven't seen anything to make me think otherwise....when you dont have the cannon it requires you to be a SMARTER QB......you work on that part of your game more then the gunslinger cannon armed types (this is not always the case of course there have been some very smart strong armed QB's) but there have been SEVERAL successful QB's even guys who have won super bowls who were not known for cannon arms......

If you were actually judging on-field performance instead of parroting meaningless stats you'd understand that Edwards has shown a very high degree of accuracy throughout most of his brief career.

I am not sure I agree with that. It seems that his accuracy declines as the season wears on. He was very very accurate in his first year when he took over for the injured JP. He started last season very good (not as gerat as 2007 though) but was quite bad towards the end of last season. And yes, I was watching him throw the ball where it needed to be but not succeeding a fair majority of the time.

Arm strength has very little to do with the modern QB. The ability to read coverages and release the ball quickly are what are more important. To the best of my knowledge, no one has found a way to measure that at the combine.

I would argue accuracy needs to be added to decision making and release. This was JP's downfall - slow to make decisions and not accurate once he does - yeah he can throw it a mile but so what - guess that is why he is still unemployed.

No you're not; once again you're just judging statistics.

If you'd ever played the game you'd realize that quoting a bunch of statistics has nothing to do with what actually happens on the field. Accuracy is about putting the ball where it needs to be, not about what percentage of passes are completed in a particular offense. If you were actually judging on-field performance instead of parroting meaningless stats you'd understand that Edwards has shown a very high degree of accuracy throughout most of his brief career.

Ok, we've been over this...I did play football all the way through college, so enough with the "if you played football" garbage...

Second, if I was parading stats, then the argument would be that he is accurate because of his completion %, but what the stats DONT show is his poor throws once he ventures outside his short check down comfort zone. Even his completed pass tend to come in low, high, or sail left or right on him, which actually nullifies Lee Evans strengths as a WR which is being hit in stride so he can make a play in the open field...

Has he made some nice throws...sure he has...does he have potential...sure he does...but has he been consistently accurate, not to this point. Even another poster commented on how he got more erratic as the season progressed.

I swear, sometimes it seems as if you just make up stuff to try and be right...

Ok, we've been over this...I did play football all the way through college, so enough with the "if you played football" garbage...

Second, if I was parading stats, then the argument would be that he is accurate because of his completion %, but what the stats DONT show is his poor throws once he ventures outside his short check down comfort zone. Even his completed pass tend to come in low, high, or sail left or right on him, which actually nullifies Lee Evans strengths as a WR which is being hit in stride so he can make a play in the open field...

Has he made some nice throws...sure he has...does he have potential...sure he does...but has he been consistently accurate, not to this point. Even another poster commented on how he got more erratic as the season progressed.

I swear, sometimes it seems as if you just make up stuff to try and be right...

HaHaHa! Simon has the worst opinions on the board. He not only comes at you with outlandish garbage, but he backs it up with schoolyard banter like "if you ever played the game you would know". Trent Edwards is an unknown to this point. He has been good and he has been bad. His overpowering accuracy and intelligence is a product of comparison to JP Losman. Right now I'd say he has alot to improve on, because he finally has weapons and the whipping boy is leaving town.

Just responding to your comment on Russel....Trent hasnt exactly been stellar himself..."highly accurate" passer is an over statement too...so if people are going to point to how young Trent is, then you have to extend the same courtesy to Russel who plays on a way worse team with way less talent on the offense to work with.

I always hear how accurate Trent is, but he has as many INT's as he does TD's...his accuracy is helped by his tendency to check down...he is over rated for his accuracy and should actually have quite a few more INT's but he has been fortunate several times. For example, because a down low post player in the NBA like say Shaq has a high FG%, doesnt make him an accurate shooter when he has so many high percentage FG's every game down low. Same with a QB, when he makes short check down throws that even I can make, his accuracay gets inflated. I care about when he throws over the middle or an out. Trent has only 18 TD's to go with 18 INT's, that doesnt scream accurate where it counts...

Not saying he wont get better, just judging his actual on field performance to this point...

Edwards is a highly accurat passer. He may run hot and cold still, but last year was his first as a starter and he completed 65.5% of his passes while Russell in his first year as a starter completed 53.8% of his passes.

And while were on that, P. Manning completed 66.8%, Brees 65%, Rivers 65.3%, Romo 61.3%, McNabb 60.4%, M. Ryan 61.1%, and Warner 67.1%.

So, Trent's in some good company here. Check-downs or not, Trent is an accurate passer. A completion's a completion and an incompletion is an incompletion.

65.5% is an impressive number given how young he is, in his first year as a starter. The TD to INT ratio is typical for a young QB who's growing.

Trent is an accurate passer.