Schlitz beginning to make a comeback.

buckeyemike

Link to Green Bay Press-Gazette article.

40 years ago, Schlitz was America's most popular beer brand. Today...um, not so much.

The last time I saw a dusty case of Schlitz in a convenience store was probably sometime around 2000.

You know what happened to them? Budweiser had overtaken Schlitz by 1974, and Robert Uihlein, who ran the brewery, decided to cut costs by speeding up the fermentation process to only four days (from 14). This caused green film to form inside of beer cans, and while the film was harmless, let's just say it wasn't appealing. :rolleyes:

Today, Pabst owns Schlitz, and may be attempting a marketing comeback for another of their brands...it worked for PBR, it may work for Schlitz.

When you're out of Schlitz, you're out of beer.

Schlitz was the old man's beer of choice back then, so probably the first beer I ever tasted.

Remember "You want to take away my gusto?"

That got interpreted by advertising industry people as "Drink Schlitz or I'll kill you". :rolleyes::lol:

I have made fun of Schlitz beer as much as the next guy, but this is the old Schlitz recipe pre 1960's, not the swill that most of us grew up with. I've had it and much like PBR it's a decent beer. It's certainly much better than what Bud/Miller/ Coors has to offer.

My Great Grandfather was an alcoholic, but at 5 or 6 years old I didn't know that. I remember his regiment very clearly. We would have breakfast. That usually consisted of eggs, bacon, sausage, toast, orange juice, and coffee. After that he broke out the Early Times and Gingerale. We'd make the daily trek to the local ABC establishment at about 1:00 pm and he would continue until about dinner time. After dinner? You got it, about 3 or 4 Schlitz before he packed it in for the evening. Needless to say, he died due to cirrhosis of the liver. It was a horrible death. I don't wish it upon my worst of enemies.

and Blatz ain't worth much. :lol:

You can say that again.

Speaking of beer that ain't worth much, I always favored Schmidt's (of Philadelphia) over Schlitz, Blatz and Pabst, as the cheap beer of choice, when in college. $0.99 a six pack, back then. Stroh's (fire brewed!) was good (relatively, of course), too.

My grandfather wasn't an alcoholic, but almost every day, he'd walk around the corner in Kaisertown after lunch and dinner for a shot and a beer. It got him out of the house. He did it until a month or two before he died at the age of 94. If my mother went to visit and didn't get an answer at the door, she'd check one of the bars.