For all of you who want Jason Peters RESIGNED

No way. If someone else wants to pay him that much trade him for a first and third, or something comparable. After his performance last year I would be inclined to give him an incentive-laden contract (i.e. say $10M/year minus $300,000 for each sack he gives up). I don't want him to get fat(ter) and lazy(ier) once he signs a big deal. We all saw what kind of shape he was in last year.

Matt Light (NE) made $4M last year. Who was the better tackle last year? Exactly.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson (NYJ) made $5.4M last year. Who was the better tackle last year? Exactly.

His hold out with three years left on his deal and his subsquent refusal to show up for the pre-season (and even for the first regular season game) shows what kind of teammate he is. If we can get multiple high draft picks for him then grab them. Our best alternative is to sign him to a contract that isn't front-loaded with millions of dollars and that incentivizes him to play at the level he did in 2007.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ye Ole' Cotton will volunteer to stand and lay some "lumber" on the interior. I ask only for 2 yr./5 mil contract with 2 mil guaranteed, and incentives/escalators that could push the total value to 7.5 mil for things like Pro Bowl selections.

Anyone else hear Dueling Banjos in the background when reading Cotton's posts?

I think so. And I am so !@#$ing sick of our best players walking with little effort to resign- and us not pursuing top notch free agents! Pay the man! And sign some real players- not tomato cans!

Thank you.... :rolleyes::w00t:

Listen these guys seem to take things personal in regards to salaries and negotiation's, look the Bills are an NFL franchise as well, they have to get in the game. Re-allocate funds to players that preform and cut the chord on past mistakes..LETS GO BILLS

No way. If someone else wants to pay him that much trade him for a first and third, or something comparable. After his performance last year I would be inclined to give him an incentive-laden contract (i.e. say $10M/year minus $300,000 for each sack he gives up). I don't want him to get fat(ter) and lazy(ier) once he signs a big deal. We all saw what kind of shape he was in last year.

Matt Light (NE) made $4M last year. Who was the better tackle last year? Exactly.

D'Brickashaw Ferguson (NYJ) made $5.4M last year. Who was the better tackle last year? Exactly.

His hold out with three years left on his deal and his subsquent refusal to show up for the pre-season (and even for the first regular season game) shows what kind of teammate he is. If we can get multiple high draft picks for him then grab them. Our best alternative is to sign him to a contract that isn't front-loaded with millions of dollars and that incentivizes him to play at the level he did in 2007.

i was hoping someone was going to research/mention what the other Pro-Bowl LTs have been making. I remember from last year's pro bowl that Peters was the 2nd highest paid tackle out of 4. and while his recognized name got him into another probowl, his play this past season does not warrant such a high salary.

so far, Peters has had ONE stellar season. and last year's almost wiped that one out completely. i like the idea of an incentive based contract, i doubt that he would though.

im fairly confident that the second he is inked to a major deal, we will see another Mike Williams.

I fully expect this situation to be resolved one way or the other, before OTA's start. Both sides know it's critical to avoid a replay of last offseason.

It's been mentioned in other threads on this subject that Peters is working under the terms of a contract he signed when he was still our right tackle. This is true.

He subsequently was moved to the more lucrative left side and made the Pro Bowl.

No doubt Peters totally botched things last offseason with his little tantrum. For this public relations nightmare Peter's agent is at least partly to blame...just as Marshawn Lynch's lawyer is at least partly to blame for his PR nightmare. Many people are holding that against him. That shouldn't be the Bills or Peters' problem. They're in a business transaction.

He didn't play as well last year as the year before. To what degree it's hard for all of us to really say. Offensive line play might be the hardest part of the game for fans to understand. We see the mistakes and that's about all.

We do know he is universally viewed as an elite talent. No one questions his ability.

My gut is that if we made him the highest paid, he would honor it and shut up. He stated in the past that he was grateful the Bills signed him as an undrafted free agent and gave him his chance.

I think he is somewhat justified in being peeved for being the 3rd highest paid player on the O-line. It's ridiculous.

When we gave Kelsay that ridiculous contract, we almost immediately re-did Schobel's to ensure that he was once again the highest paid D-lineman. We showed Peters no similar respect.

Bear with me here, I'm almost done. After he signs his new contract, yes other contracts will leapfrog his. Some of those players will be better than Peters and some will be worse. That's the nature of the beast and I don't think he'd pull a Bruce Smith and bellyache about it. His disenchantment now is justified. But he knows his contract will be surpassed eventually.

Finally, I'd rather pay for a known quantity (our own) and a contract which is gonna be roughly equal to the highest paid for that position than pay a Haynesworth type contract for an unknown quantity (their own) which will far exceed the highest paid for that position.

Make him happy, he'll be here forr OTA's and traing camp and he will be in game shape by seasons start... Peters will return to form in 2009 IMO, his holdout charade was his undoing, but the Bills can not afford to not have him at LT

Is Jason Peters, dollar for dollar worth 11.5 million a year? Maybe, maybe not. But I don't think it really matters. The bottom line to me is, this team is much better with Jason Peters maybe being a little overpaid at LT, than signing a 1.5 mil/yr talent who is worth 1.5 mil/yr.

If you're going to be competitive, you're going to overpay for players. If we want to sit here every offseason and say "I'm glad we didn't overpay for this guy and that guy, we have real 'value' in the contracts our team has signed..." we're probably going to continue missing the playoffs for a long time.

The bottom line is, Jason Peters is a damn good LT and we're not signing anyone who could hold his jock strap to replace him, if he walks. So yes, all things considered, pay the man.

That's just Ye Ole' Cotton's 2 cents. Who is with me?

I'm with ya. :cry:

Pro Bowl LT's dont' grow on trees. They are very hard to find and next to QB are arguably the most important position on the team. With TE being brittle it's very important to keep a guy like Peters. Somebody above said some of his sacks can be blamed on Dockery and I think that's why Buffalo let him go. If the Bills manage to swing a trade for Waters people would be singing his praises again. Even if they get an average LG Peters will excel again. I'm willing to say that last year was an aberration and Peters will be back to old form this year.

I just hope his contract has significant bonus' for offseason participation at the Bills facility.

I've posted this resource many times in the past:

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/footbal...on.aspx?pos=135

Based on 2008 total salary, Jason Peters is the 43rd highest paid offensive lineman.

He is 17th among left tackles, who are typically the highest paid offensive linemen.

I know many of you consider this following fact a joke because you're all better at evaluating offensive linemen than the Bills are but here goes:

There have been 14 offensive tackles who've played in either of the last two Pro Bowls.

Jason Peters is one of only 4 OTs to play in both.

edit: He was voted to the last two Pro Bowls.

His election to the Pro Bowl was a joke - it frequently is with linemen, especially offensive linemen. The Bills need to realize they hold the cards here. Peters still has two more years on his deal and then we can franchise him into eternity and still pay him less than he's asking. The Bills FO should make him aware of that, make him aware of how much he sucked last year, make him aware of how much he hurt the team with his actions, and make him aware of the Mike Williams debacle and how we're not going to allow that to happen ever again. Then sign him to a potentially lucrative, but incentive-laden deal. That should be non-negotiable.

If this is in fact true, no it can't be true. C'mon is this April 1st already? How do you even ask that the Left Tackle that led the entire NFL in sacks allowed be paid the highest? That is like Losman telling the Jets or someone he wants to be paid as the highest QB in the league. I say F-Him and leave his contract the way it is. Either he shows up or he doesn't play for a couple more years. His contract now is what, only 2 years old? He is starting to sound like a fat Chad Johnson.

I've posted this resource many times in the past:

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/footbal...on.aspx?pos=135

Based on 2008 total salary, Jason Peters is the 43rd highest paid offensive lineman.

He is 17th among left tackles, who are typically the highest paid offensive linemen.

I know many of you consider this following fact a joke because you're all better at evaluating offensive linemen than the Bills are but here goes:

There have been 14 offensive tackles who've played in either of the last two Pro Bowls.

Jason Peters is one of only 4 OTs to play in both.

I think you need to check your figures, I don't think Jason Peters played in 2 Pro Bowls, in fact he didn't even go to Hawaii last month.

His election to the Pro Bowl was a joke - it frequently is with linemen, especially offensive linemen. The Bills need to realize they hold the cards here. Peters still has two more years on his deal and then we can franchise him into eternity and still pay him less than he's asking. The Bills FO should make him aware of that, make him aware of how much he sucked last year, make him aware of how much he hurt the team with his actions, and make him aware of the Mike Williams debacle and how we're not going to allow that to happen ever again. Then sign him to a potentially lucrative, but incentive-laden deal. That should be non-negotiable.

"I know many of you consider this following fact a joke because you're all better at evaluating offensive linemen than the Bills are but here goes:

Jason Peters is one of only 4 OTs to play in both."

If it's a joke why is Peters one of the 4 out of 14 to play in the last two Pro Bowls?

I already know you're going to call the Pro Bowl voting a joke.

It's one third each for fans, coaches, and players. You can argue that the players' vote is meaningless. You can argue that the coaches' voting is meaningless. But the fan voting? That's the most meaningless of all.

Like it or not, he's gotten high honors from players and coaches.

I'm gonna go ahead and trust their evaluations over yours.

edit: He was voted to the last two Pro Bowls.

"How much the Bills spend in free agency may come down to Jason Peters. Russ Brandon has exchanged proposals with Peters agent, Eugene Parker. According to a source, Parker has told the Bills he expects Peters to be paid as the AFC’s top offensive tackle. Miami’s Jake Long currently holds that distinction after the top pick of 2008 signed a 5-year, $57.5-million dollar deal with $30-million guaranteed. -FOX SPORTS"

Do you really feel jason peters is worth 11.5 mil a year? Im sorry I don think hes worth that much. JAke Long as a rookie was 10 times better than he was. I wouldn pay him more than dockery was paid 8 mil a year dont even think hes worth that much either.

But you tell me is he worth 11.5 mil in your opinion? :cry:

I would prefer to pick up five more WR's just like Roscoe Parrish......

Make him happy, he'll be here forr OTA's and traing camp and he will be in game shape by seasons start... Peters will return to form in 2009 IMO, his holdout charade was his undoing, but the Bills can not afford to not have him at LT

I think Buffalo handled it just like they should have. They sent a clear a message that holding out will not get you a new contract that year. They also realized that his pay is far away from what it should be and are taking care of that now.

That's a great way to attract FA's. They see the best player on the Bills being effed with and say; "Man, I want to play there!!" :rolleyes:

BTW, I'm glad to see that you are smarter than the Pro-Bowl voters. You should apply for a job in the Bills scouting dept. :cry:

Jason Peters Tackle 7/15/2006: Signed a five-year, $15 million contract. The deal included $5.75 million in first-year bonuses. 2009: $2.95 million, 2010: $3.4 million, 2011: Free Agent

Matt Light Tackle 10/5/2004: Signed a six-year, $27.3 million contract. The deal includes $9 million in bonuses. 2009: $4.25 million, 2010: $4.5 million, 2011: Free Agent

Orlando Pace Tackle 3/16/2005: Signed a seven-year, $52.9 million contract. The deal included a $15 million signing bonus. 2009: $5.975 million, 2010: $7.175 million, 2011: $8.375 million, 2012: Free Agent. Cap charge: $9 million (2009).

Joe Thomas Tackle 7/26/2007: Signed a five-year, $42.5 million contract. The deal contains $23 million guaranteed, including a $12.8 million signing bonus and a $3 million roster bonus in the second year. 2009: $1 million (+ $3.44 million roster bonus), 2010: $4.7 million, 2011: $8 million, 2012: $2.23 million (Voidable Year), 2013: Free Agent

Food for thought.