trade for Roy Williams?

Fingon

Safety Roy Williams has asked the Cowboys to either trade or release him by Tuesday.

The Cowboys aren't having much luck finding a taker with teams believing he's going to be released anyway. Trading or releasing Williams would save $2 million against the salary cap.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

I think it would give the Bills exactly what they want, a big enforcer to stick in the box. This would then free up Whitner so he can be the FS the Bills want him to be. He could be had cheaply, as well.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He would be TOO much of a liability in pass coverage. The guy cant even stay with his own shadow more or less another offensive player on the field.

"Hear me out", in the header...the harbinger of a really bad idea.

Whats the solution to the SS problem then? He is almost exactly what we need, as the Bills want to give Whitner more room to roam around the field. He can always be rotated off the field on third down.

Not to mention he could be had for a 7th.

Whats the solution to the SS problem then? He is almost exactly what we need, as the Bills want to give Whitner more room to roam around the field. He can always be rotated off the field on third down.

Fewell said he MIGHT consider Whitner at FS, but that it isn't likely.

The answer to most problems in the Bills DB corps, is QB pressure. When you are missing one piece of a puzzle, do you start changing all the other pieces, first?

What happened to him, anyway? I honestly thought he was one of the premier safeties.

Just overrated I guess. After the hype died down and teams realized he can't cover anyone, he was exposed as an average safety.

You can't just throw your SS down in the box every down as support against the run. A true strong safety has to be able to be at least serviceable in pass coverage as well - teams DO often throw the ball on 1st and 2nd down nowadays, if you haven't noticed. Roy has proven over the years he can't cover, period. You want to bring him in? Fine, throw Dallas a 7th and play him as a situational outside linebacker. That's all he is.

No he is not. Have you seen any Dallas games when he's been playing over the last 3 years? He's slowed up, isn't that sure of a tackler anymore, and can't play pass defense (zone or man) to save his life. He is almost exactly done in the NFL. He might not even be that good of a ST'er, I don't know. Ever since they did away with the "horse collar" tackle in the NFL, he fell off because he was never a good wrap up tackler to begin with. He relied on trying to knock people out or pulling them down by their collar. He isn't a fierce hitter anymore and isn't allowed to pull people down the other way so what's left? A player that the Bills need to leave wherever he's at.

About the answer for our SS spot? Sean Jones would be the perfect answer, but we likely won't sign him. We might go after Phillips, but it will be to play FS if we do. Either way, I think we end up staying with what we already have.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He would be TOO much of a liability in pass coverage. The guy cant even stay with his own shadow more or less another offensive player on the field.

The winds in Buffalo play pass defense anyways...That's why I can't stand the Tampax 2 defense. It's unnecessary in Buffalo. November and December weather doesn't allow most teams to throw deep.

I, for one, wouldn't mind Roy Williams.

OK, after reading a few more posts, and thinking about it a little bit longer, I'd have no problem with Williams as a situational LB (probably could be a ST asset, too, even at his age). But, I wouldn't start re-arranging the defense to accommodate him, pay him outside of the current Bills structure or give up anything for him (maybe a 7th would be fine).

OK, after reading a few more posts, and thinking about it a little bit longer, I'd have no problem with Williams as a situational LB (probably could be a ST asset, too, even at his age). But, I wouldn't start re-arranging the defense to accommodate him, pay him outside of the current Bills structure or give up anything for him (maybe a 7th would be fine).

For a seventh? That would be a steal.

Safety Roy Williams has asked the Cowboys to either trade or release him by Tuesday.

The Cowboys aren't having much luck finding a taker with teams believing he's going to be released anyway. Trading or releasing Williams would save $2 million against the salary cap.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/Home_NFL.aspx

I think it would give the Bills exactly what they want, a big enforcer to stick in the box. This would then free up Whitner so he can be the FS the Bills want him to be. He could be had cheaply, as well.

No thanks ... pass .. oh wait he can't cover that

You can't just throw your SS down in the box every down as support against the run. A true strong safety has to be able to be at least serviceable in pass coverage as well - teams DO often throw the ball on 1st and 2nd down nowadays, if you haven't noticed. Roy has proven over the years he can't cover, period. You want to bring him in? Fine, throw Dallas a 7th and play him as a situational outside linebacker. That's all he is.

Brady would eat a player like that alive. In fact, he did when the Pats scored around 50 against them in 07 ...