Bills turned down Kitna as part of the Dockery deal

Kelly the Dog

I think Kitna is certainly a better QB than Fitzpatrick is, but he seems like kind of an ass. His mouth never seems to be closed, and I doubt it would all of a sudden close sitting behind Trent Edwards. He doesn't like being a backup, and never has. I doubt he'd want to do it here.

I think the Bills didn't want a guy who would (not himself) cause a QB controversy if TE wasn't perfect.

Don't mind Fitzpatrick at this point.

I wouldn't put it past Kitna to start some crap himself. I don't see him as being mentor material.

I think Kitna is certainly a better QB than Fitzpatrick is, but he seems like kind of an ass. His mouth never seems to be closed, and I doubt it would all of a sudden close sitting behind Trent Edwards. He doesn't like being a backup, and never has. I doubt he'd want to do it here.

Time will tell how smart this move is. Fitzpatrick is likely to end up with playing time this season based on TE's injury history. If he plays well ovbviously the Bills were geniuses for signing a younger vet that could be with them for years. If not .... let the harping begin.

Agreed 100%.

I wouldn't put it past Kitna to start some crap himself. I don't see him as being mentor material.

While because of what you just said I don't really want Kitna here as a back-up myself, even though he is a better quarterback than Fitzpatrick, I think the "mentor" thing is way overrated and overblown. What you need in that role as a back-up is a smart guy, who sees defenses from the sideline, not a veteran playing big brother. The QB coach and the OC and the HC can be the mentors. Fitzpatrick is smart, that's for sure, not really sure how well he sees the field or reads defenses though because his skills don't allow him to take advantage of what he may be seeing. It's quite possible, though, that he does know that stuff and he will help Trent on the sidelines like AVP or Reich once did.

Really? Kitna was every bit the team player and mentor in Cincy. He won the NFL Comeback Player of the Year Award in 2003 while No. 1 draft pick Carson Palmer watched from the sideline, and was nothing but gracious when Palmer was handed the starting job before the '04 season.

http://bengals.enquirer.com/2004/08/13/Ben...Paper-0813.html

Really? Kitna was every bit the team player and mentor in Cincy. He won the NFL Comeback Player of the Year Award in 2003 while No. 1 draft pick Carson Palmer watched from the sideline, and was nothing but gracious when Palmer was handed the starting job before the '04 season.

That might have been before he thought he was good. :doh:

It's really been piling up the past few days, hasn't it? :doh:

I'll post some words about Fitzpatrick in a day or so. Having actually watched him play (12 games).

KTD, Kitna started for five full seasons before the Bengals tossed the keys to Palmer, and didn't exactly suck (although he did play for some craptacular teams).

Full disclosure: when he was in Cincy, he lived a couple houses down the street from my stepbrother. I met him a few times back then, and was suitably impressed. He's anything but the stereotypical, self-absorbed jock.

And I would've taken him on this Bills team in a heartbeat.

KTD, Kitna started for five full seasons before the Bengals tossed the keys to Palmer, and didn't exactly suck (although he did play for some craptacular teams).

Full disclosure: when he was in Cincy, he lived a couple houses down the street from my stepbrother. I met him a few times back then, and was suitably impressed. He's anything but the stereotypical, self-absorbed jock.

And I would've taken him on this Bills team in a heartbeat.

You're probably right. He's okay, but I thought in the last couple seasons he didn't seem like the same guy he was getting killed in Cincinnati. He seemed a little more cocky and mouthy to the press, although without being there it's very hard if not impossible to know who was being the assoholic.

I don't know if at this point he'd be happy as a back-up to Edwards or not. But then again, I never thought it mattered as long as the back-up wasn't really tearing the team apart. I am not totally sold on Edwards because of durability issues, and things he hasn't shown me yet. But if we're going to get a back-up that may be competition for him, I want it to be a guy who has a good future, with a big upside, and could be a solid NFL starter for years to come if given the chance. That guy is not Kitna for me. I do think Kitna would be a better player than Fitzpatrick though.

Honestly, the Bills probably didn't want to a pay a backup QB that kinda of money. Same with guys like Garcia or possibly Leftwich.

Money probably was the main reason. Also, wasn't DJ the headcoach in Detroit while Kitna was the QB? Maybe that had something to do with it as well.

Money probably was the main reason. Also, wasn't DJ the headcoach in Detroit while Kitna was the QB? Maybe that had something to do with it as well.

No. Jauron started here in 2006, the same year Kitna went to Detroit.

Good that's all I have to say, what has he done lately? didn't he promise he'll take the lions 10-6 in 07, while they didn't have any talent what's so ever, I'm cool with releasing Dockery, at the time he was worth the pay, now he was just a waste of space, I'm surprised the bills didn't let his body Langston Walker go also, I thought they'd be both gone also,