Matt Cassel traded to Chiefs

BLZFAN4LIFE

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Says No. 3 Pick Not Involved in Cassel Deal

No, but next year's No. 1 might be (and that could turn out to be No. 1 overall if Cassel plays the way I strongly suspect he will in KC, combined with that team's overall lack of talent.......

If this ends up being true, I would like to congratulate all the geniuses out here who actually seriously thought the Pats would trade Brady and keep Cassel. I thought the Pats were crazy to even franchise Cassel, much less keep him over the 3 time SB winning 2 time SB MVP Brady. Well, I was wrong about the Pats franchising Matt, and I suppose they really had to given the excellent season he had. But it didn't take long for New England to dump Cassel and his franchise salary, did it? :D

Why would you think it was stupid to franchise Cassell? they got picks for him instead of him walking away.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...el/?eref=sircrc

Sounds like it's both Vrabes and Cassel for KC's second rounder this year (No. 34). I hate to say it, but that strikes me as a at least in the reasonable ball park--lots of Pats* fans are going to be shocked that that's all they got, but I still think they're likely on the winning end of that trade, as Vrabel has at best one mediocre year left and Cassel will crash and burn in KC....

And the Vrabel deal suddenly makes more sense.

And if Pioli got both those guys for a second-rounder, the league really needs to look into a collusion case between those two franchises.

Beat me to it, Malta. What's worse is that it's done at a time to allow New England to also reload via FA, since this will free up about $20 million in cap space as well. Look to see them make way more moves than our moronic FO over the next few days.....

Beat me to it, Malta. What's worse is that it's done at a time to allow New England to also reload via FA, since this will free up about $20 million in cap space as well. Look to see them make way more moves than our moronic FO over the next few days.....

Ayup.

You cant tell me that New England doesnt have some FAs in mind, hence the reason for the cap dump.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writ...el/?eref=sircrc

Sounds like it's both Vrabes and Cassel for KC's second rounder this year (No. 34). I hate to say it, but that strikes me as a at least in the reasonable ball park--lots of Pats* fans are going to be shocked that that's all they got, but I still think they're likely on the winning end of that trade, as Vrabel has at best one mediocre year left and Cassel will crash and burn in KC....

Sounds like they may have been planning to cut Vrabel and tossed him in to sweeten the deal.

Per rotoworld...

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports that Matt Cassel is expected to be traded to the Chiefs, but there may a third "mystery team" in play.

Schefter has softened his wording, saying the deal has been "agreed to" and "expected." Paperwork has been drawn up; Cassel will be traded. Schefter says there is now some question whether Kansas City could be his final destination. The "mystery team" is supposedly a surprise, which would seemingly rule out Tampa. That team could either swoop in or get involved in a three-way deal. Cassel is also working out a possible contract, which is probably the biggest factor in holding up this news. It's possible the Patriots agreed to trade compensation, but Cassel's contract demands are holding the deal up. If Cassel is dealt, it's safe to say the Tyler Thigpen era is over before it started.

So it says a surprise mystery team could be part of this deal and be the actual landing spot for Cassel...wonder who that would be...

He works for the NFL, he probably just sits at NFL headquarters in New York and chats up some admin officere who processes these trade requests.

The NFL Network studios are in L.A., but Schefter obviously does have some connections at 280 Park Avenue.

Don't worry, Mort will be along to report this breaking news shortly. But as I pointed out with the Coles visit, Schefter isn't immune to being scooped either ...

Uh oh, Schefter is reporting a "surprise team" may have jumped in...