Why Vote?

rockpile

Yesterday's paper showed quite clearly that NY was a Kerry state and was a shoe-in for the respective electoral college votes.

Today's tv news said that Kerry was the overwhelming winner in NY, based on latest polls.

Since I live in NY, the media has already decided for me.

So, unless I am in an undecided state (of residence :) ) and the EC decides the next Prez, not the popular choice - why vote?

I am curious as to the response.

Yesterday's paper showed quite clearly that NY was a Kerry state and was a shoe-in for the respective electoral college votes.

Today's tv news said that Kerry was the overwhelming winner in NY, based on latest polls.

So, unless I am in an undecided state (of residence  :) ) and the EC decides the next Prez, not the popular choice - why vote?

94957[/snapback]

Rockpile....you are such a stud...you should vote just to let all those women at the polling place drool over you.. honestly you make a good point..I'd guess I'd say you should vote because you can...

So, unless I am in an undecided state (of residence  :) ) and the EC decides the next Prez, not the popular choice - why vote?

94957[/snapback]

To make your voice heard. Hold your elected officials accountable for their actions. They want apathetic voters, because that is how they maintain their power.

Your choice may not win, but that does not mean that your vote did not count.

I know the feeling, being a republican in NY means that you amount to jack squat nationally. There are benefits, though; no one calls you, no one polls you, TV ads are within a fairly reasonable quantity. No one knocks at your door (Jack Doyle did show up at my doorstep once, though :) )

You still have to vote, though. Alot of good people died for it, remember.

94957[/snapback]

Kinda funny you bring this up. I had a buddy from Hamburg call me to tell me he was canceling out my vote because he was going to vote for Kerry. While he was laughing, I told him his vote really didn't matter because Kerry would win NY with or without his vote. I said mine matters more because this is a swing state and my vote counts more than his. The laughing stopped on his end, then I started to laugh because he believed me.

Your vote DOES count Rock. Whomever you vote for is important, always. Just vote. :angry:

BTW, I did tell my friend I was kidding, but not until I slapped him around for a few minutes. :D

94957[/snapback]

Local elections are more likely to be hotly contested, and the winners are more likely (than the President) to directly impact your life.

I dont like people saying thier vote doesnt couint because they are a republican in ny.

If 10 people vote for A and 6 people vote for B, the only votes that "dont count" are the 3 extra people who voted for A.

Therefor if you are a republican in NY, you are voting for B and YOUR VOTE COUNTS.

You vote might not matter but it counts. Symantics I know, but just vote okay?!

Somebody already mentioned that local elections are going on too; you're not just going to vote for President. If you still lurk on MBL, you'll see why I support the Electoral College. Even though the Electoral College system will determine who is President, both sides will spin the popular vote no matter what it is.

But, the most important reason is because people before us fought for and died for our right to vote.

I dont like people saying thier vote doesnt couint because they are a republican in ny.

If 10 people vote for A and 6 people vote for B, the only votes that "dont count" are the 3 extra people who voted for A.

Therefor if you are a republican in NY, you are voting for B and YOUR VOTE COUNTS. 

You vote might not matter but it counts.  Symantics I know, but just vote okay?!

95126[/snapback]

Huh?

All 16 votes counted.

You face the same problem as Democrats in Texas. Local elections can still go either way, many people split their votes when it comes to state and local, and in the end you can say you did your part for your candidate. I always say if you don't vote, then don't complain if you don't like the results.

1. Because you are damn lucky to be born in and live in a country where you can vote, and you shouldn't take it lightly.

2. Because local elections may mean something to you in the short term or future.

3. Because if you're a Republican and all of you do vote, rather than saying it is meaningless, the media won't be able to just declare NYS a Democratic vote before the election in the future.

4. Because it is a good example for everyone, young and old, around you.

5. Because you never know and your vote actually does count.

6. Because there may be a hot woman in line next to you who strikes up a conversation.

94957[/snapback]

If Bush were to win, he would have an easier time in Congress and with the public in getting support for whatever policy initiatives he might have if he can claim to have won the popular vote. It is pretty hard to claim a voter authorized "mandate" if the other guy got more votes. Your vote does matter, it just doesn't matter as much. It might be time to scrap the electoral college but it hasn't happened yet so that is the best I can come up with apart from appeals to patriotism, sentiment and pride and I won't insult you by bringing those up as I am sure you know them well enough without any help from me. I know you are looking for something more on the pragmatic level.

Rockpile...

Come on!  I have always respected your posts.  Are you serious?

95238[/snapback]

Never said I was not going to vote! I just wanted to see the replies - which were very informative (for the most part :D ). Gave me a couple of additional things to think about.

So far, me, Mrs Rock, two daughters (both mail in ballots) and one son are confirmed voters, btw. I am waiting for a call from daughter #3 to remind her.

Gee, would you respect me less if I did not vote? :D