Buffalorumblings reports that Coles has not left Buffalo

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/

Updates on Coles, Fitzpatrick, Hangartner and Birk

Rorschach_tiny by Brian Galliford on Feb 27, 2009 7:01 PM EST in News Comment 17 comments

On the opening day of the NFL's 2009 free agent signing period, the Buffalo Bills made some waves by hosting WR Laveranues Coles and QB Ryan Fitzpatrick at team headquarters, along with other available veterans. The team is also bringing in OG Geoff Hangartner, and there have also been indications that Buffalo is linked to C Matt Birk. Thanks to a well-placed source close to the team, Buffalo Rumblings can exclusively reveal the latest on these visits.

WR Laveranues Coles: Coles has not left Buffalo. The veteran wideout's visit was reportedly a very positive one for both parties. Coles will reportedly remain in Buffalo through this evening, and there is positive energy surrounding the entire situation. A deal does not appear imminent, but Buffalo's interest is very legitimate, and the feeling is mutual from Coles' end. There remains a strong possibility (note the lack of the word "probability", and we're certainly not confirming anything) that an accord can be struck. Coles is, however, receiving strong interest from other franchises as well.

QB Ryan Fitzpatrick: Indications are strong that Fitzpatrick will become Buffalo's backup quarterback at some point over the weekend. His meeting with the team went very well, and it's not anticipated at this time that he'll make any more visits. Still, a signing isn't a certainty, but we are comfortable labeling it a probability.

OG Geoff Hangartner: Though it was reported that Hangartner would be in Buffalo on Friday, his visit with Buffalo will not take place until tomorrow (Saturday) morning. Hangartner is reportedly a very high priority target for the Bills, and the team is expected to do all it can to keep Hangartner from leaving town without a deal. It is unclear exactly which position the team anticipates he would play in Buffalo, but popular opinion is that he's being courted as a center.

C Matt Birk: Buffalo was, in fact, one of the teams that contacted Birk. However, the veteran is seeking a deal similar to the one that Jason Brown reportedly was offered in St. Louis this afternoon, which is in the vicinity of $7 million per season. Buffalo is not prepared to pay such a contract to any interior lineman, and thus Birk will not be making a trip to Buffalo. Still, depending on the type of money he can get elsewhere, there's a remote possibility that he'll re-consider if his market value drops. The door is not closed, but it's close.

We do not, unfortunately, have any updates on the rest of the team's recent visitors, including OG Kendall Simmons, CB Drayton Florence and LB Jamie Winborn. Keep it locked in to Buffalo Rumblings for all the latest Bills free agency news.

...intriguing...

Any sense on how accurate Buffalorumblings is? I have no idea.

I guess all we know from Chris Brown is that Coles left One Bills Drive. It's certainly possible he left to go talk things over with his agent at a hotel, and they'll meet up later - I get the sense Russ doesn't tell Brown anything.

Any sense on how accurate Buffalorumblings is? I have no idea.

I guess all we know from Chris Brown is that Coles left One Bills Drive. It's certainly possible he left to go talk things over with his agent at a hotel, and they'll meet up later - I get the sense Russ doesn't tell Brown anything.

I've been an avid reader since he started it, and I would say he's generally pretty accurate. I don't always agree with his analysis.....but he's got a pretty good source from what I can tell.

The guy who writes for BuffaloRumblings is damn good. He also has other guys who have great depth of knowledge that contribute. It is a good read on the Buffalo Bills.

I have them in my favorites along with twobillsdrive and BuffaloBills.com.....

If any one knows some other sites that keep up with the Bills on a daily basis I would like to know...

I would like to see this come together. Reading through a lot of the posts tonight it looks like a lot of people don't want Coles here because of injuries, age, or whatever reason. I think it would be great.

For me, hopefully staying overnight means something positive, not just that he wants to hang out with Lynch and run down pedestrians. :D

I share that same opinion. I'd really like to see him added to the team.

You know what it is? Coles has to be seriously accounted for. He can make acrobatic catches and get the ball into the endzone. There is no way for this to not take heat off of Evans, let alone Trent. It isn't possible, unless of course there is no blocking. They better f :D ing draft some early round blockers! :angry:

as much as I've seen coles play, he's short but some how he gets open pretty well, I thought he'd easily go play with Chad Pennington again, but we'll see what happens. We would have a deep depth for sure at the wide out position, but I'll easily take Coles over Kelley Washington, Kelley Washington is a big target, but didn't play well in the offensive role the cheat sheets and the bungles

Underneath the Buffalo Rumblings article that was cited, the writer added 2 more comments in the discussion that followed:

"There’s a difference between leaving the building and leaving the city. As I said in the article, Coles is still in town, and there’s a rumor circulating that he was in Buffalo last night as well. He’ll be in Buffalo at least through this evening".

Buffalo Rumblings - all you care to know about the Buffalo Bills and more

by Brian Galliford on Feb 27, 2009 7:37 PM EST up reply 0 recs

"We may have heard something about Coles dining with Lee Evans and Josh Reed this evening. Maybe".

by Brian Galliford on Feb 27, 2009 7:40 PM EST up reply 0 recs

This writer is just stirring the pot. He's going to make a lot of Bills fans upset when word gets out that Coles is headed to Miami tonight and will sign with the Fins tomorrow.

its not stirring the pot if it is true. It would be called journalism

I doubt its true, this is the same guy who called Bryant Johnson to the Bills a "done deal" last year.

Its called "making stuff up to get more hits".

And it works.

If thats the case, then he would be an outright liar and his credibility would be finished. I don't know the source so i am not defending or doubting. But I doubt that he would lie about something so specific

Haha, if you check back on that Buffalo Rumblings website, the writer is already backing off his comments.

Coles WILL NOT be a Buffalo Bill, I guarantee that. I think he just came here to get a good idea of market value. He didnt even stick around long enough to be interviewed by the website, that should tell you something. Even Taylor hung around longer.

Update from Buffalo Rumblings:

(or back track)

Edited this at 9:23 for clarification on one point re: Coles. Many are misconstruing “he’s still here” with “he’s spending the night” or “they’re negotiating” or other such inferred points.

I’ll make this perfectly clear: I was informed that Coles had left One Bills Drive this afternoon, but was planning on spending at least a portion of the evening in Buffalo. Beyond that, I have absolutely no idea what’s going to happen. He may stay the night, he may schedule another visit, he may be abducted by aliens. I just don’t want folks getting the wrong impression. Coles didn’t leave Buffalo immediately after his tour at OBD, but I can neither confirm nor deny that he’s still in Buffalo at this moment.

by Brian Galliford on Feb 27, 2009 9:25 PM EST reply 0 recs

Edited this at 9:23 for clarification on one point re: Coles. Many are misconstruing “he’s still here” with “he’s spending the night” or “they’re negotiating” or other such inferred points.

I’ll make this perfectly clear: I was informed that Coles had left One Bills Drive this afternoon, but was planning on spending at least a portion of the evening in Buffalo. Beyond that, I have absolutely no idea what’s going to happen. He may stay the night, he may schedule another visit, he may be abducted by aliens. I just don’t want folks getting the wrong impression. Coles didn’t leave Buffalo immediately after his tour at OBD, but I can neither confirm nor deny that he’s still in Buffalo at this moment.

by Brian Galliford on Feb 27, 2009 9:25 PM EST reply actions 0 recs

Edited by Lori
Threads merged

Not promising.

Yeah, I really cannot understand why he's not signed if in fact he's left. We have so much cap money and I was really under the impression we would spend to bring some talent in. I don't get it. Are they going to make a splash draft day or something? Yikes!

by Brian Galliford on Feb 27, 2009 9:25 PM EST reply actions 0 recs

haha, the abducted by aliens line was funny.

Bring back Bruce Smith.

Yeah, I really cannot understand why he's not signed if in fact he's left. We have so much cap money and I was really under the impression we would spend to bring some talent in. I don't get it. Are they going to make a splash draft day or something? Yikes!

Hold your breath until the Bills sign a big name. Have you ever watched Barney on TV? You will be that color.