Golfers, Match play scoring question...

The Poojer

I get 2 & 1 and 3 & 2, I think....2(3) strokes up with 1(2) holes to play....what is 3 & 1? 3 up with 1 to play? How does it get past 2 & 1 to 3 & 1?

If you are up by 2 after the 16th hole, and then you tie the 17th hole, you win 2 & 1. If you are up by 2 after the 16th hole, and you WIN the 17th hole, you win 3 & 1.

I get 2 & 1 and 3 & 2, I think....2(3) strokes up with 1(2) holes to play....what is 3 & 1? 3 up with 1 to play? How does it get past 2 & 1 to 3 & 1?

Just what sage said. If the match is dormie and you win the next hole, you'll win by 2 in the score. 3 & 1 or 4 & 2, etc.

And didn't Tiger take one of his matches a few years back 10 & 8?

Actually, it was 9 & 8 against Stephen Ames who had insulted Tiger a couple days before..."Anybody can beat Tiger, especially considering the way he's been hitting the ball."

10 & 8 is the worst possible beatdown, but I think Ames got the message anyway.

So who does everybody think is going to win? I put 200 down on Geoff Ogilvy, which would be a return of about $2100. He barely won his first rounder against Kevin Sutherland after being up by 2 or 3 almost the whole match.

So who does everybody think is going to win? I put 200 down on Geoff Ogilvy, which would be a return of about $2100. He barely won his first rounder against Kevin Sutherland after being up by 2 or 3 almost the whole match.

I'll go with the storybook comeback and say Woods. He got off to a solid start yesterday.

Pretty much what BuffaloBud said, it's match play, so it goes by number of holes won. If it were stroke play it would go by the score on that hole and become 10 pages of one liners on this board. so if you're going to the 17th up 2 holes and win that hole, as Sage said, you would be up 3 holes with 1 left or 3&1....

Actually, it was 9 & 8 against Stephen Ames who had insulted Tiger a couple days before..."Anybody can beat Tiger, especially considering the way he's been hitting the ball."

10 & 8 is the worst possible beatdown, but I think Ames got the message anyway.

I can't even imagine what it would take to win a match that quickly. Even the crappiest of pros should be able to half a few holes with a par. It had to have been one of Tiger's strongest rounds paired up with one of Ames worst. Even a fired up Tiger needs more than a little help to win that quickly.

I can't even imagine what it would take to win a match that quickly. Even the crappiest of pros should be able to half a few holes with a par. It had to have been one of Tiger's strongest rounds paired up with one of Ames worst. Even a fired up Tiger needs more than a little help to win that quickly.

And Ames isn't exactly a duffer either! Just goes to show what happens when you light a fire under the belly of the Tiger...

Why not just keep it simple and say he won 12 holes, the other guy won 6, so he won 12-6. And if the the guy's is ahead by 6 holes with 5 left, just add those 5 to his score. So every score totals 18.

That's like tennis with the love, 15, 30, etc., why not just go 1,2,3,4.

Why not just keep it simple and say he won 12 holes, the other guy won 6, so he won 12-6. And if the the guy's is ahead by 6 holes with 5 left, just add those 5 to his score. So every score totals 18.

Because they don't always play 18 holes. The match stops once it becomes impossible for the losing golfer to tie it up. Would you just give all those remaining holes to the winner? Also, not every hole is won. What happens to the holes that are split? This scoring system paints a pretty clear picture of exactly how the match went.

Well, that's just a matter of semantics, and it doesn't take into account the holes that are halved.

I do think, however, that each group of players should play 18 holes of golf even if the match is over by the 14th hole. What's the harm in playing a few extra holes for the enjoyment of the paying customers, even if the match is technically done?

Because they don't always play 18 holes. The match stops once it becomes impossible for the losing golfer to tie it up. Would you just give all those remaining holes to the winner? Also, not every hole is won. What happens to the holes that are split? This scoring system paints a pretty clear picture of exactly how the match went.

They could show ties, 10-5-3, won 10, lost 5, tied 3. Give the remaining holes to the winner, that's the bonus of kicking the other guy's butt. Or play all the holes regardless of score.

They could show ties, 10-5-3, won 10, lost 5, tied 3. Give the remaining holes to the winner, that's the bonus of kicking the other guy's butt. Or play all the holes regardless of score.

But what would be the point? It's not like the system is tough to understand...again, just a matter of semantics.

History and tradition dictate.

regarding tennis scoring which i never got either....

The running score in each game is described in a manner peculiar to tennis. Scores of zero to three points are described as "love" (or "zero"), "fifteen", "thirty", and "forty", respectively. The origins of the fifteen, thirty, and forty scores are believed to be medieval French. It is possible that a clock face was used on court, with a quarter move of the hand to indicate a score of fifteen, thirty, and forty-five. When the hand moved to sixty, the game was over. Another explanation is that the scoring system was copied from the game sphairistike, which was played by British officers in India during the 19th century. That game's scoring system was based on the different gun calibres of the British naval ships. When firing a salute, the ships first fired their 15-pound guns on the main deck, followed by the 30-pound guns of the middle deck, and finally by the 40-pound lower gun deck.[citation needed]

The origin of the use of "love" for zero is also disputed; it is possible that it derives from the French word for an egg (l'oeuf) because an egg looks like the number zero. "Love" is also said to derive from "l'heure" or "the hour" in French. Another possibility of the origin comes from the Dutch "iets voor lof doen," which means to do something for nothing. The word ('lof' nothing) has changed over time to 'love'. (Talk show host Johnny Carson, an avid tennis player himself, once joked that, "In tennis, love means nothing; and in love, tennis means nothing!"). In Asia, the 'love all' score is said to represent a state in which neither player has yet to score a point, indicating both players are in a state of mutual affection without having drawn any blood.

If each player has won three points, the score is described as "deuce" (from French deux meaning two [more points]) rather than "forty-all". From this point on, whenever the score is tied, it is described as "deuce" regardless of how many points have been played.

Way to go out on a limb there KD....

By the way, any room on that limb for me? :nana:

Uh-oh looks like our limb might be creaking and cracking a little...

Tigers is down three with three to play. Took an OB on 15 and the followed it up with his "I'm too pissed-off-think-straight" swing and put it pin high.