freddy vs fred

does the interest being shown in taylor mean that maybe the bills are not going to retain jackson

It doesn't really make sense for Buffalo to not retain Jackson. He's in a unique situation where we can pay him next to nothing and at least keep him on the roster. Even if we plan on trading him (which I think is doubtful), why not wait a year and then trade him if that's the plan?

Unless there's something missing from the equation, there's really no good reason not to keep Jackson this year, regardless of future plans. My guess is that we lock him up this offseason for 3yrs rather than fool around and wait until next year when he's an UFA.

Yeah me either. It's kind of disappointing that they didn't lock him up longer than this year. He's getting paid $460K for the upcoming season. What a joke of a salary for someone who is going to start the season at RB for an NFL team.

It's a good business move by the Bills, but at what cost? Will Fred even want to sign a multi year deal with us next year?

EDIT:

I guess this is the plan:

Owners are opting out of the collective-bargaining agreement two years early, creating an uncapped season in 2010 and setting into motion rules that would keep Jackson an exclusive-rights player one more year. His tender for 2010 would be $545,000 -- a bargain for the Bills.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-5-26/...from-Bills.html

Basically, to run him through the ringer for the next two years at the minimum and then release him.

Yeah me either. It's kind of disappointing that they didn't lock him up longer than this year. He's getting paid $460K for the upcoming season. What a joke of a salary for someone who is going to start the season at RB for an NFL team.

It's a good business move by the Bills, but at what cost? Will Fred even want to sign a multi year deal with us next year?

the offer doesn't stop the bills from locking him up with a longer contract for more $$$ - i gotta think the bills will offer him a better deal, they just needed to meet the deadline with the tender offer to keep him off the free agent market.

the offer doesn't stop the bills from locking him up with a longer contract for more $$$ - i gotta think the bills will offer him a better deal, they just needed to meet the deadline with the tender offer to keep him off the free agent market.

Hopefully. I'd like to see a 3 year deal for him.

Taylor is 33, so I doubt he is being looked at to come in and replace a much younger and very productive back in our own Fred, espeicially given the price to retain him. I think the only person in danger here is Lynch, and its not Fred Taylor providing that threat, its our own Fred Jackson. I think if we bring in Taylor I would start getting nervous if I was Lynch. Taylor would be a good compliment to a newly starting Fred Jackson and provide us a year or two to see what Oman could do or find a capable backup via FA or draft to Jackson.

Jackson hits the hole better and is a better recieiving threat. There is no denying Lynch's abilities, but Jackson is no slouch, and with someone like Taylor spelling him for 10 carries a game, we would have a dangerous ground game still IMO. So, if Taylor signs, I think that is a bigger threat to Marshawn than Jackson.

Given Lynch's run ins the last 2 years, I think the office will be even more motivated to lock up Jackson long term, so I think this offer is just to keep him off the open market so they can have time to get a deal done long term.

Taylor is 33, so I doubt he is being looked at to come in and replace a much younger and very productive back in our own Fred, espeicially given the price to retain him. I think the only person in danger here is Lynch, and its not Fred Taylor providing that threat, its our own Fred Jackson. I think if we bring in Taylor I would start getting nervous if I was Lynch. Taylor would be a good compliment to a newly starting Fred Jackson and provide us a year or two to see what Oman could do or find a capable backup via FA or draft to Jackson.

Jackson hits the hole better and is a better recieiving threat. There is no denying Lynch's abilities, but Jackson is no slouch, and with someone like Taylor spelling him for 10 carries a game, we would have a dangerous ground game still IMO. So, if Taylor signs, I think that is a bigger threat to Marshawn than Jackson.

Given Lynch's run ins the last 2 years, I think the office will be even more motivated to lock up Jackson long term, so I think this offer is just to keep him off the open market so they can have time to get a deal done long term.

Fully agree and Lynch's running style will not help him last too long in this league, whereas Jackson seems to avoid the head on contact like Thurman used to.

Anyone think the RFAs will receive a tender by tomorrow 4pm?

George Wilson

Gibran Hamdan

Keith Ellison

I doubt Ellison will. I bet they are hoping Bowen is fully healed and ready for a back up role. We need another starter as bad as we need a DE.

Something tells me he'll get by on the 460K.

Yeah, it sounds like a lot of $$$ - and it is - but after Obama, FICA, Dave Patterson, and Chris Collins all take a cut, he probably comes home with around half that amount. Still a lot of money, but not for a guy with his talent, performing at his level, doing the job he does for a living. Jackson deserves more $$$.

Tell that to Jackson, who will watch guys like Copeland Bryan, Xavier Omon, Alvin Bowen, Corey McIntyre, Ryan Neill and the rest of team (minus 5 guys) make more than him this season. That's what he just went through this past season, too.

It's obvious that he'll "get by" on $460K, but it's more important to NFL players to get paid what they are worth based on position & skill rather than get paid enough to get by.

Tell that to Jackson, who will watch guys like Copeland Bryan, Xavier Omon, Alvin Bowen, Corey McIntyre, Ryan Neill and the rest of team (minus 5 guys) make more than him this season. That's what he just went through this past season, too.

It's obvious that he'll "get by" on $460K, but it's more important to NFL players to get paid what they are worth based on position & skill rather than get paid enough to get by.

Not to mention Jackson is no spring chicken...this is likely his last chance at a real nice contrat. If he plays for 2 years for peanuts, then when he finally hits FA market he isnt going to likely land a big contract.

thats not the point.

It's about being rewarded fairly in comparison to the people you work with.

$460K is an insult in this profession, specially considering the production that Fred Jackson brings to the table.

I hope they do the right thing and offer him a multi year contract